Interesting turbo/dyno test tonight= bigger isnt always better

I have a car here with ported iron,212 roller that has gone 10.30s with a 6776 we ca test some turbos on.

I will be putting a champion ported head 212 roller car together tomorrow that was dynoed with a TA 49 and its getting a TA 6265 Billet Wheel BB turbo now and redynoed.
So we can see the difference on a more modded car.
The test wont be back to back though but same car.

Hmmm sounds familiar to what Ur doing to mine in the near future Who's heads? Boost? Timing?

That's awesome they have my setup and r getting my goals as well. I think ive decided on the 212/212 now over the 210/215 after reading this

Bison, how much boost do you think you will get to with the 6152e? I am curious about the difference in power between 20, 25, and then 28+. I hope you get the chance to run it at a few different boost levels. :biggrin:

I know I personally run a 6152e, so it would be really intriguing to me, but I also read people's sigs and quite a few run 6152's. Common turbo.

When are you going to switch to Julios kit? Do you think his kit will make the car any faster/more power or is the SMC achieving like you want it to?

Thanks! Jason
It should run similar to the PT54. I went 124+ with a PT54 10 years ago running 25psi with a better set of heads than whats on this car. On this car ive been testing on it will probably make 450-460@28psi. Ill try to get 28-30 psi with it. Ill switch kits when i have some time. It wont make any more power than what i have but will allow me to throw more alky at it if i want to. The SMC has been on the car for 5 years and hasnt hiccuped. This engine has a lot of WOT time. Ive gone through about 8-10 gallons of methanol in the last 4 months and im only running a single 15gph nozzle with about 120psi.

I also am very interested in your results with the 6152, as I currently am running one also. At BG, with the boost set at 21# and WB at 10.2, I ran a best of 11.81 at 124.35 MPH through the exhaust. Next time out, I hope to get the boost in the 25-26# range and see what it is capable of, before stepping up to a bigger turbo.

Bison, do you have an idea as to how fast the 6152 may run?

10.20's@132-133mph if you can get the boost high enough.

bison,what duty cycle are you seeing and which fuel at 670whp,30 gph of alky,and on what size injector?
Just to avoid confusion this engine is not anything like the one ive been testing turbos on. 73%, 93 octane, 85b/hr. I saw 89% DC once on this same engine last year when i sprayed it and it showed 28psi of boost on the log. I had c10 in the tank that time.That was the strongest it ever felt. It went 70-120mph in about 4 seconds.

I remembered today that a couple of weeks ago I disconnected my Red's Volt Booster because it was making my Razor's Alky go "crazy". The car ran much better but could this have had a negative effect on my fuel pressure? I looked at previous logs when the VB was connected and my BLMs were fine at 128 at high boost. Does this make sense?
Today I raised my fuel pressure to 48 from 43 and logged a run down the highway and my BLMs were 159 down from 170 at the top end. Still far from 128. How much can I raise the FP?

BLM's are suppossed to be +- 10 from 128. Your out on left field. This motor should not be beat on when BL's are that high. This kind of drivability stuiff must always be sorted out first. Period. Its like building a house on loose sand.. Raising fuel pressure to fix a weak pump is like covering the sun with your thumb and saying its not there.

Once all drivability stuff is sorted out.. proceed to beat the snot out of it. :D

The fuel the alky kit is providing is saving you. But dont take it for granted. And this explains why you get the knock down low..

Sounds like new fuel pump, new fuel filter, and a hotwire kit to start.

Yes you can use the signal from the autometer transducer. It just needs to be scaled for the PL.

back under my rock :D

Just curious what the finding was for the TA6265 ?
I posted it in here. There is no gain on this engine. It sacrificed spoolup slightly even though its a BB and the 6176 was a journal. Ill be updating in the next couple weeks. Been busy with work and need to get a couple more turbo in here to test.

I just upgraded to the DBB TA6265 from a TA49 and the spoolup is the same. With the TA49 the most I could put down was 440 to the wheels at 23 psi, with the TA6265 it put down 525 to the wheels at 25 psi. The top end gain is significant, it blows the TA49 away. No track comparisons yet, but i'm sure it can run solid high tens with a good launch.

I just upgraded to the DBB TA6265 from a TA49 and the spoolup is the same. With the TA49 the most I could put down was 440 to the wheels at 23 psi, with the TA6265 it put down 525 to the wheels at 25 psi. The top end gain is significant, it blows the TA49 away. No track comparisons yet, but i'm sure it can run solid high tens with a good launch.
Yeah the 49 is a turd up top. It spooled in under .5 seconds in my car which was faster than anything ive tested so far. I would have liked to try the 6176 ive been running on your engine which has better heads. With a tall set of tires and a good converter the street potential of the 49 is hard to beat. Torque is almost instant. With 525whp you should be close to 10.6.

bison/otto, I just wanted to say thanks again for posting all this info. Should be a sticky for sure. anyways thanks and

BUMP for a good read

I had a car come in the was down on power with a 6776 turbo,made 542 at 28#s, gave the motor to RPE to have him check things out, he made a few changes,nothing new,i know he freshened the heads(he did not freshen the motor) nor tell me what he did,but the car redynoed at 604 at 28#s afterwards.

I had a car come in the was down on power with a 6776 turbo,made 542 at 28#s, gave the motor to RPE to have him check things out, he made a few changes,nothing new,i know he freshened the heads(he did not freshen the motor) nor tell me what he did,but the car redynoed at 604 at 28#s afterwards.

There is only one thing he could have done to make a difference like that.

Slight millof the heads to increase the c/r?