Is it Time for the Track

TryMeGT

Just rebuilt the engine with new bearings, crank and rings. The cam, lifters and push rods were already broken in before the tear down. Since re-assembly I have put a little over 600 miles on the motor. Did an oil change at ~75 miles and another one at ~500. Both oil changes looked clean. I have slowly let the motor see boost. So far it has only seen 13lbs and that was getting on the expressway. I have not floored the car from a dig or a roll yet either. I was thinking about taking her to the track for a couple shake down passes. Do you think its time? 2 rebuilds in 2 years makes one a little gun shy.

One of those things, I know it is ready, but you want a bunch of fellow turbo guys that have raced a lot more and faster than me to say "Hell yeah, let her rip"

One of those things, I know it is ready, but you want a bunch of fellow turbo guys that have raced a lot more and faster than me to say "Hell yeah, let her rip"

well i have zero experience but hey, go for it

hell ya let her rip. just make sure you have the boost turned down for the first few runs. dont want to go WOT and peg a 30 pound boost gauge.

Tell me about the 2 rebuilds in 2 years.....
As long as the O2 looks good on the scanmaster, Hell yell, let her rip!

Chuck

First rebuild was when I spun #4 rod bearing. Tore the motor down had it align bored, and balanced with a stock crank. Put her back together and raced at BG and Norwalk, OH. Over rev'ed on a pass and it was ticking. Stopped racing!! Got it home and started searching on the upper half. Couldn't find the problem, Pulled the motor and found the bearings with less than 2000 miles to be trashed. DS saw little if no knock on the pass. My assumption is that metal went into the oil cooler when #4 bearing went bye bye(I did not have it flushed). Put the fresh motor in and metal came right back in and took the bearings out. This rebuild had a new radiatior, eagle crank and fresh bearings!!!!

After my rebuild...drove it about 500 miles...then to the track...make sure the tune is conservative...on the rich side...first run go WOT but only do half track run...check the numbers...adjust as necessary then go for a full run...I see a lot of guys take a new rebuild...do a full 1/4 run...stay in it even though it's not running quite right and blow the motor...back to square one...

Good point, thanks for the advice. Yes, I will run on the rich side for insurance.

btw - I have about 5 gallons of 110 octane left from Norwalk in June. Do you think it is still good or should I just get fresh fuel?

I have no experience in this department, but if I were in your shoes I would take it easy and watch the tune. If the numbers look good slowly get into it more and more until you do go WOT. What fun is a car that you can’t open up? Just don’t do it until you are ready.

Have fun and let us know how it turned out.

I will post the results and the DS numbers.

Any suggestions on this:
btw - I have about 5 gallons of 110 octane left from Norwalk in June. Do you think it is still good or should I just get fresh fuel?

Anderson broke in my newly built motor he did in on his dyno.. he then turned around and took it to the track :) that same weekend with abour 2 miles on it, this was over 2 years ago, and it's still running strong.. you are way ready to hit the track with 600 miles..

Thanks for the support guys.

XLR8 - the race fuel is sitting in a vented gas can in the garage.

Did you reuse the oil cooler? Either replace it with a new one or get rid of it all together. I don't think you'll be able to flush all the metal out.

No I was not going to risk the oil cooler again knowing you can't properly flush it. I put a new aluminum radiator in from Gbodyparts.com

Thanks for the support guys.

XLR8 - the race fuel is sitting in a vented gas can in the garage.

If the gas wasn't sealed you may have an issue. If it was me with a new motor and the gas wasn't sealed I would buy new gas. Remember - penny wise and pound foolish.

If the gas wasn't sealed you may have an issue. If it was me with a new motor and the gas wasn't sealed I would buy new gas. Remember - penny wise and pound foolish.

Point taken. Going to get fresh gas this afternoon

With Numbers

The car ran good with no knock except during shifts. Times were 12.6 to 12.9with speeds at 107 - 108mph and this was with 16-17lbs of boost. Launches were under 5lbs of boost and the converter was locked. Did have one questionable pass though. The car was surging in 2nd gear during the run. The direct scan showed my RPMs going up and down before it went into 3rd. It went as high as 5900rpm. The car shifts at 5000rpms. Once it went into 3rd everything went smooth again. I am thinking the tranny was slipping in second. Did not make any other passes after that until I know for sure. Thanks!
Best Pass
60ft.....1.761
1/8.....8.0499sec
1/8.....84.27mph
1/4.....12.633sec
1/4.....108.44mph

Questionable Pass
60ft.....1.816
1/8.....8.142sec
1/8.....83.32mph
1/4.....12.712sec
1/4.....108.95mph