Is it worth doing a clone?

87chrisss

BLUBYU
Found a clean clean clean N/A Regal..i have everything from motor tranny even 8.5 it would be an easy swap..but if i ever decide to sell i wont get a penny back on my investment or would i? i cant find a decent gn or TR roller for less than 4-5k and its insane..the rollers are beat up..this n/a regal is a old lady that drives to the store its an 87 so its a 109 block just a n/a vin...i think the car has 45k og miles? im paying less than 3500 for the car?? driving with ac heater etcc..what you guys think? is it worth doing the clone i mean the body is immaculate,..im tempted

Heck yes........ If you are going to keep it. And if it is done right. (document everything) there is a ass for every seat.

There is a GNX clone on here that is perfect... and it couldn't bring 29k though....... sad

thats the problem i'll keep something for a while a year or 2 maybe more and then i'll get bored with it will need something different im weird like that...?

Gotta agree with Rmar on this one. If you plan on keeping it to show all the hard work you did then yes, it's worth it. If you think you might get bored with it then get a TR and forget it.

thats the problem i'll keep something for a while a year or 2 maybe more and then i'll get bored with it will need something different im weird like that...?

Looks like ya answered yer own question........

ok how about if you had two choices same price a clean beautiful n/a vin regal with everything from a turbo car in it..or for the same price a turbo regal that has been ragged and abused and looks like crap? it will come down to just a vin # but w.e i think i would rather have a true tr when it comes down to it..

How about a beautiful base Regal resto mod with an LT1 or something. Maybe engine type changes perception.

I guess that really wasn't the question. I'd still have to go with a beautiful Regal over a ragged car any day.

If it doesn't have the vin 7 it ain't a turbo Regal, no matter what you do to it. I always look at the trunk tag too and ask owner if I can have a pic of it. If you do it for fun and drive the money out of it and know it won't bring Turbo Regal money, You'll do ok. I'm willing to bet many if not most of these cars(not just Buicks, think high dollar Hemi and Corvettes that were run hard when new, remember they were just hot cars back then just like our Regals were when new) you see advertised as matching numbers aren't , can I prove it? Nope but all you are going on is that the parts are stamped (maybe by the factory, maybe not)and the seller is telling you it is so.

As an example, My GS I believe to have the original engine. I have pix before it was decked in the eighties when I bought it and rebuilt the engine. I could restamp it but why? I'll never sell it. My kids are already arguing over it and the Regal. The rear end isn't original and it isn't a Stage One so It is just a Big Block and my first cars so I am good with that.

Unless you are flipping for the money, build what you want to drive and be happy. If that means starting with an ultra clean Grandma unit or a clapped out beater it is up to the individual. I would do the clean grandma mobile and look for a Limited Loaded out, and do a full on factory looking clone. Most won't know the difference if you put something that looks factory under the hood.

Pix when you get it home!

Keep looking

I just picked this up last Thursday for Just about $2000 1987 Grand National Guy kept the engine and trans and header panel stuff and the wheels, but he tossed in 5 really nice t-type wheels and the factory spare. But the frame is solid. front end all Neoprene, South side johnnys arms in the back , a MINT interior with new gm gaskets sealing the t-tops. a fancy complete carpeted trunk kit with the turbo 6 embroidered into it. plus a bunch of pulleys and bracket to boot! new gn.jpg

I did mine,the way I look at it is this,yea you can have your high mileage rot box,with the "7" vin,or a clean tight low mileage car that dosen't dance all over the road,rattle and leave chunks of rust on a bumpy road,it's just a car,I opted for the low mileage rust free,rattle free car that runs 11.60 first pass out and has fresh paint,so I don't see the point,if your doors are all rotted and quarters flapping in the breeze,body mounts all rotted out is worth more,then I must be crazy.;)

if you are planing on or think you would be selling it, don't waste your time and money on the N/A regal.
Remember how Buick guys are when buying something - everything is no good and too expensive.:mad:
Look at your self you want a Clean GN roller dirt cheap:eek::biggrin:
Good luck with the project and don't forget to post up pictures.

IMHO, a very clean clone TODAY....would bring near the same money as a true vin 7 in similar condition. If the conversion was done right.....and you could only tell if you looked at the vin. 20 years from now......probably won't be the case. The GNX clone would be an exception to that analogy above however......

IMHO, keep all the n/a cosmetics (i.e. flat hood, no spoiler, wire hubcaps, n/a instrument cluster, n/a steering wheel, etc.) and only convert the engine/tranny/rear end. I like the plush bench seat column shift 14" wire hubcaps turbo LC2 conversion......such a sleeper.

if you are planing on or think you would be selling it, don't waste your time and money on the N/A regal.
Remember how Buick guys are when buying something - everything is no good and too expensive.:mad:
Look at your self you want a Clean GN roller dirt cheap:eek::biggrin:
Good luck with the project and don't forget to post up pictures.

i dont want a clean gn roller cheap i just gave one almost away..im tired of buying TR and GN's with more problems than anything..these turbo cars were the first one's to be molested out of the dealer faster faster dings and dents from wrenches..i want something just bootyfull and the nicest TR roller i found was someguy up north he wanted 9,000 for the roller are effin kidding me??? ive had nice TR's but im starting to believe a n/a regal has less molestation than TR's ofcourse theyre are exceptions...but majority of the TR's have been molested.... i have everything a complete drivetrain...the only difference would be the vin 7 i might be thinking on passing on that #7 have to think about it...its either 15k+ for a real nice TR done correctly or on the other side buy a TR for a great price under 10k usually the lower priced ones need paint or some work or most have a BONDOmatic paint job...so they need to be dumped with chit loads of money... for a #7 on the vin???? i think i might save some cash this year...

I just picked this up last Thursday for Just about $2000 1987 Grand National Guy kept the engine and trans and header panel stuff and the wheels, but he tossed in 5 really nice t-type wheels and the factory spare. But the frame is solid. front end all Neoprene, South side johnnys arms in the back , a MINT interior with new gm gaskets sealing the t-tops. a fancy complete carpeted trunk kit with the turbo 6 embroidered into it. plus a bunch of pulleys and bracket to boot!View attachment 151518

your a lucky dude..thats a great price!

heck yes........ If you are going to keep it. And if it is done right. (document everything) there is a ass for every seat.

There is a gnx clone on here that is perfect... And it couldn't bring 29k though....... Sad
ronnie .. Slocar claimed he got $42,000.00 for his clone .. Right before he got banned for running his mouth .. I built my clone for less the $ 20,000.00 .. Suspention,dash,fenders,decals, leather seats,motor ,trans,rear end , all new and started with an 87 hardtop with 82 thousand on her .. I paid $8000.00 for the car ..

i dont want a clean gn roller cheap i just gave one almost away..im tired of buying TR and GN's with more problems than anything..these turbo cars were the first one's to be molested out of the dealer faster faster dings and dents from wrenches..i want something just bootyfull and the nicest TR roller i found was someguy up north he wanted 9,000 for the roller are effin kidding me??? ive had nice TR's but im starting to believe a n/a regal has less molestation than TR's ofcourse theyre are exceptions...but majority of the TR's have been molested.... i have everything a complete drivetrain...the only difference would be the vin 7 i might be thinking on passing on that #7 have to think about it...its either 15k+ for a real nice TR done correctly or on the other side buy a TR for a great price under 10k usually the lower priced ones need paint or some work or most have a BONDOmatic paint job...so they need to be dumped with chit loads of money... for a #7 on the vin???? i think i might save some cash this year...

i am with you 1000% about the Vin#7 BS
but thats the way it is, no #7 drop the price to free plus free shipping.
look at the other numbers, people are paying stupid money for a GN with a numbered dash plate and pretty turbo cover. its all about look at what i have "a real GN" or what ever.

Would you pay $80K for a GN? you would have to be retarded. Take that same GN and put a number on it lets say 1-547 and all of a sudden its now worth the $80K. Make sense HELL F CKING NO. But thats the way it is.
Numbers, real what ever.

another rant my favorite G-Body is the 80s Monte SS but because i dump money into my cars i have to follow the ones that hold the most value - So here i am playing with Regals AKA Turbo Buicks. I do like the engine:biggrin:

Bottom line if you are going to dump money into the car, go with the one that has that magic #7 as the eight digit on Vin plate. it will hold better value over a BETTER BUILT AND QUALITY N/A Regal.

ok now that everyone has thrown in there 2 cents here is MY view :biggrin: Wouldn't waste the time AND $$$ to convert a NA Buick Regal. BUT if ya do it to something else there "maybe " a little stronger market.. MC SS, Mazda RX7s, LOTS of station wagon cars out there. Something a little different in a diff chassis. :cool: BUT...ya the BUT !!!! They can turn into the biggest money pit just like any other Buick :p

I think the Barret Jackson mentality has wrecked our hobby.A numbers matching all original car is just boring:p Build what YOU want,beat on it and enjoy it:biggrin:That is what is fun:eek:This applies to all cars;)Just my idea.Enjoy

Kevin

i am with you 1000% about the Vin#7 BS
but thats the way it is, no #7 drop the price to free plus free shipping.
look at the other numbers, people are paying stupid money for a GN with a numbered dash plate and pretty turbo cover. its all about look at what i have "a real GN" or what ever.

Would you pay $80K for a GN? you would have to be retarded. Take that same GN and put a number on it lets say 1-547 and all of a sudden its now worth the $80K. Make sense HELL F CKING NO. But thats the way it is.
Numbers, real what ever.

another rant my favorite G-Body is the 80s Monte SS but because i dump money into my cars i have to follow the ones that hold the most value - So here i am playing with Regals AKA Turbo Buicks. I do like the engine:biggrin:

Bottom line if you are going to dump money into the car, go with the one that has that magic #7 as the eight digit on Vin plate. it will hold better value over a BETTER BUILT AND QUALITY N/A Regal.

you have no sense of adventure- if it's all about not losing money for you, then you don't get it. i've always looked at the money i "lose" on the cars i own and build as the price of playing..

and there is more to the GNX than just the dash plate and turbo cover.. not enough to make it worth what people are getting them for- at least to me- but definitely worth more than a regular GN. saying that a GNX is just a GN with a couple of cosmetic additions is like saying that a GN is just a Regal with a couple of extra drivetrain and suspension options..

personally, i like the idea of all the "good" stuff being put into a regular Regal body.. is it gonna be worth GN money? no. but it will be a pretty damn cool car, and probably a lot more comfortable to drive every day with it's plush mid 80's Buick interior than a real GN that came with some of the crappiest seats that GM ever put into a car. but i think i'd skip the LC2 and go with something like a 455 Buick for it's refined brute force and utter simplicity- maybe even back it with a Muncie or something like that with 2.56 gears to make for a nice steady interstate cruiser- but that's just me. a Regal with the GN suspension and the big ol honkin' 455 with highway gears would be about the most perfect long distance cruiser ever..