Is the racing dead?

Just so I'm clear. Problem two is that no one has enough confidence in their favorite event to bother trying to sell me on it. I find this very strange.
Impatient? Dang right I am. You guys are complaining of attendance falling and you have a guy showing some interest to bother to come east to attend an event, and,... silence. What ever happened to good ol' salesmanship? You have a potential patron on the hook here, and this is how you treat him?

Clint. Let me tell you something. A prospective patron that is looking to attend your event does not have a PROBLEM. You may have a problem of not having all the information I'm asking for, and you should be polite enough to convey that in a polite and timely manner.

A customer, client, patron does not have a PROBLEM.

This is what I mean by some organizers lacking people skills. Brush up on them, or don't bother trying to organize an event.

Clint. Let me tell you something. A prospective patron that is looking to attend your event does not have a PROBLEM. You may have a problem of not having all the information I'm asking for, and you should be polite enough to convey that in a polite and timely manner.

A customer, client, patron does not have a PROBLEM.

This is what I mean by some organizers lacking people skills. Brush up on them, or don't bother trying to organize an event.

I've personally gone up and thanked Clint and shook his hand while he was in the staging lanes to say thanks for doing what he does for the events. If you would just go to the events you'd find out there are still Buicks going fast with class.

I've personally gone up and thanked Clint and shook his hand while he was in the staging lanes to say thanks for doing what he does for the events. If you would just go to the events you'd find out there are still Buicks going fast with class.
That's fine that you shook his hand. Nice.
I still think there's a problem when a promoter thinks I have a problem being anxious about learning more about his event. Obviously not a very people oriented responce.

Oh. I thought this was a 3rd annual event. YES So there isn't a date set yet NO, but it will be next year? YES
What is the name of the event? Turbobuick.com Nationals Is there a location set yet? YES

Can't give you anymore information for now til I have conversation with Track, Shane, and Richard Clark.

That's fine that you shook his hand. Nice.
I still think there's a problem when a promoter thinks I have a problem being anxious about learning more about his event. Obviously not a very people oriented responce.

Donnie, what I was referring to is the less than 2 hours between your posts to give Shane a chance to respond about his event... You should not automatically assume that someone is "not a very people oriented" person / response. Was not meant in a negative way sir...

X100!!!!

Don for some one that wants to help, why are you being so NEGATIVE!!

The event is Turbobuick.com Nat's

The GS Nationals took a long time to get GOING !!!!!

SO Trust me, Shane and Clint ,will do every thing THEY can to get this event TO GROW!!!

It take's People to attend and WANT to Race!!!

can we get back on track and come up with some POSITIVE answers not just bash IDEAS!!!

JD

X100!!!!

Don for some one that wants to help, why are you being so NEGATIVE!!

The event is Turbobuick.com Nat's

The GS Nationals took a long time to get GOING !!!!!

SO Trust me, Shane and Clint ,will do every thing THEY can to get this event TO GROW!!!

It take's People to attend and WANT to Race!!!

can we get back on track and come up with some POSITIVE answers not just bash IDEAS!!!

JD
Not trying to be negative. Just trying to stir some discussion.

Tell me you don't know yet, give me a link to some information, but,... don't tell me I have a problem because I want to learn about your event.

Thanks for the info, Clint.

Tell me you don't know yet, give me a link to some information, but,... don't tell me I have a problem because I want to learn about your event.

Things take a little TIME!!!

How long did it take you to build YOUR Buick, I don't think it happened Over nite DID IT!!:D:D:D

JD

Things take a little TIME!!!

How long did it take you to build YOUR Buick, I don't think it happened Over nite DID IT!!:D:D:D

JD
I completely understand. What I don't understand is starting out a responce with the insinuation that the problem is my impatience when all I want is some simple information on an event.

A customer never has a problem. The person providing the service has the problem of making the customer interested in what they are offering. It's that simple. Period.

Enough with the sales lesson.

I will say that I have never been to an east coast event. The rules forbid me. I'm participating in this thread because I hate to see BUICK racing die. It's already practically dead here on the west coast.

I would eventually like to get out to the east coast for an event, if I felt it would be worth it to make the trip. But alas, rules, rules, rules get in the way.
Index racing would really peak my interest.

OK Donnie. Noble is a regular race between the ferd club in OK and the Buick club. It's in October and it's not the east coast. It's all heads up and it pits you against a ferd of simular capabilities. Pretty friendly and only 3 days long so it's no more than 5 days total if you want to come.:biggrin: Best part is the Buick club pays for your entrance so all you have to do is get there and have some fun.:cool:

The event these guys are talking about was just in May for pete's sake there is almost a whole year till the next one I'm pretty sure you could A. hold tight till they have the plans finalized and they will announce it here on turbobuick.com like they always do, and B. it would take you just a few minutes to go to the event section of this board and find out all kinds of info for lots of Buick events. Sometimes one has to take a bit of personal initiative, if you are interested enough to type up the question you are interested enough to scroll down and click a section.

P.S. if I was running that event and you reacted to me the way you just jumped on Clint I wouldn't try to sell you anything. Some people have lives and don't sit here waiting to answer every post put up, they post and go do other stuff.

The event these guys are talking about was just in May for pete's sake there is almost a whole year till the next one I'm pretty sure you could A. hold tight till they have the plans finalized and they will announce it here on turbobuick.com like they always do, and B. it would take you just a few minutes to go to the event section of this board and find out all kinds of info for lots of Buick events. Sometimes one has to take a bit of personal initiative, if you are interested enough to type up the question you are interested enough to scroll down and click a section.

P.S. if I was running that event and you reacted to me the way you just jumped on Clint I wouldn't try to sell you anything. Some people have lives and don't sit here waiting to answer every post put up, they post and go do other stuff.
That's why you shouldn't organize racing events, then.
I don't understand why everyone is jumping on me for wanting some information about a racing event. I wasn't asking for much. Just a responce. And not a smart A responce. It could have just been;

"Sorry Don. I don't have much for you now. We're still in the planning stage for next years event. We do know this much. (Location, approximate time of the year, maybe details on the index classes, or details of how the past index classes were setup). If you want, you can go to this link in the 'such and such' section titled 'such and such' to learn more about our event, and past years results. I hope you can make it to our event next year. I look forward to meeting you. Thanks for your interest."

Now that isn't that hard, is it?

If I had a customer come up to me and ask how much and how long to rebuild my trans, and I started my answer with, "You have a problem." I don't think I'd get the job. Do you think I would?

OK Donnie. Noble is a regular race between the ferd club in OK and the Buick club. It's in October and it's not the east coast. It's all heads up and it pits you against a ferd of simular capabilities. Pretty friendly and only 3 days long so it's no more than 5 days total if you want to come.:biggrin: Best part is the Buick club pays for your entrance so all you have to do is get there and have some fun.:cool:

Thanks, Charlie.

That's why you shouldn't organize racing events, then.
I don't understand why everyone is jumping on me for wanting some information about a racing event. I wasn't asking for much. Just a responce. And not a smart A responce. It could have just been;

"Sorry Don. I don't have much for you now. We're still in the planning stage for next years event. We do know this much. (Location, approximate time of the year, maybe details on the index classes, or details of how the past index classes were setup). If you want, you can go to this link in the 'such and such' section titled 'such and such' to learn more about our event, and past years results. I hope you can make it to our event next year. I look forward to meeting you. Thanks for your interest."

Now that isn't that hard, is it?

If I had a customer come up to me and ask how much and how long to rebuild my trans, and I started my answer with, "You have a problem." I don't think I'd get the job. Do you think I would?

Oh you are so right about that, I have no patience for people that obviously have no patience.

Lets just say for a moment that I did tranny work. And then lets say someone was being, well lets says less than positive about the work I had done previously, kinda acting like maybe they knew a better way. Then they ask me to build them a tranny. I'm quite sure that I would tell them to take their expertise and build their own damn tranny.

Drag racing is dead. It's going to become a niche sport like bobsledding or something.

Everything that made it fun is gone. The govt, sema, and the NHRA killed it IMHO.
You can't get together with guys in a parking lot - the police show up. And this is huge. A big part of any hobby is camaraderie. No one to share your hobby with then you lose interest. Forget about street racing. Do you want to risk losing your car worth 10+ gs? Hard to even get on it on the street anymore. I was pulled over for getting on it for less than 3 seconds with completely open road ahead of me. First thing the police officer says? "WE TAKE CARS LIKE THIS"
Wanna drive around a modded car? Better keep an eye on that rearview mirror for the police "Illegal modification inspections". If you do mod your car you better pay double for CARB approved parts, original sema members really stuck it to the small guys.
NHRA is a pro drag racing organization. I've never seen them promote any kind of street car racing.

So wanna race? So cal that means..well lets see, 1 quarter mile track for all of southern california - wait 8 hours to get 1 pass (true story)
OR Drive 1 hour south to qualcomm 1/8th once or twice a month on a friday evening. Avoiding the police on the way there. Or drive all the way out to barona (DonWGs) track. In any case, it would be wise to have a trailer, truck... large investment in time and money to get a few seconds of track time in.

Those are my reasons why my Buick has been inoperable in the garage for almost 2 years now.

Instead I went and bought a beater 91 Camaro, gutted it, put some shocks springs, and huge sticky tires, left the engine stock. Now I do this
http://www.youtube.com/embed/nkgMInrafGQ
Every tuesday night at adams motorsports park, I can show up, basically no tech inspection, pay 20, and have a total of ten minutes of track time at 10/10ths. Or show up friday and pay 30 for the whole night, 10 minutes at a time on the track. Enough to destroy your car if you want. The above vid was a 10 min session I cut short. Drag racing nowadays doesn't even come close to this much fun.

Just my humble opinion but I see the writing on the wall.

Oh you are so right about that, I have no patience for people that obviously have no patience.

Lets just say for a moment that I did tranny work. And then lets say someone was being, well lets says less than positive about the work I had done previously, kinda acting like maybe they knew a better way. Then they ask me to build them a tranny. I'm quite sure that I would tell them to take their expertise and build their own damn tranny.
And you know what? They would probably build it better than you.

Drag racing is dead. It's going to become a niche sport like bobsledding or something.

Everything that made it fun is gone. The govt, sema, and the NHRA killed it IMHO.
You can't get together with guys in a parking lot - the police show up. And this is huge. A big part of any hobby is camaraderie. No one to share your hobby with then you lose interest. Forget about street racing. Do you want to risk losing your car worth 10+ gs? Hard to even get on it on the street anymore. I was pulled over for getting on it for less than 3 seconds with completely open road ahead of me. First thing the police officer says? "WE TAKE CARS LIKE THIS"
Wanna drive around a modded car? Better keep an eye on that rearview mirror for the police "Illegal modification inspections". If you do mod your car you better pay double for CARB approved parts, original sema members really stuck it to the small guys.
NHRA is a pro drag racing organization. I've never seen them promote any kind of street car racing.

So wanna race? So cal that means..well lets see, 1 quarter mile track for all of southern california - wait 8 hours to get 1 pass (true story)
OR Drive 1 hour south to qualcomm 1/8th once or twice a month on a friday evening. Avoiding the police on the way there. Or drive all the way out to barona (DonWGs) track. In any case, it would be wise to have a trailer, truck... large investment in time and money to get a few seconds of track time in.

Those are my reasons why my Buick has been inoperable in the garage for almost 2 years now.

Instead I went and bought a beater 91 Camaro, gutted it, put some shocks springs, and huge sticky tires, left the engine stock. Now I do this
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself
Every tuesday night at adams motorsports park, I can show up, basically no tech inspection, pay 20, and have a total of ten minutes of track time at 10/10ths. Or show up friday and pay 30 for the whole night, 10 minutes at a time on the track. Enough to destroy your car if you want. The above vid was a 10 min session I cut short. Drag racing nowadays doesn't even come close to this much fun.

Just my humble opinion but I see the writing on the wall.
I have to agree with you, Pablo. I'm sure it will eventually die out with all the old green hippies that are in office these days. But, it's not dead yet, and I'm not dead yet.
NHRA is not just the Pro classes. Contact your local track to see what non-professional NHRA classes they're running at the track. Barona runs a Summit Series that has an annual finals at a different track every year. This year, it will be Bakersfield or Vegas. It was supposed to be Fontana this year, but the noise hippies are trying to shut it down so they cancelled the event there.