Ive Decided To Go 4 Bolt

DR BOOST

Technical advisor
am i wasting my time? i always heard the 4 bolt housings are worth 30-50 hp over 3 bolt.

gtq 71
gn1's
210 roller
109 block

i already have the adapter and a race gate.

where the heck do i get a v-band downpipe from?

surej

Are you in the 9's with that thing yet. whats up surje. Are you going to the x-mas party on the 11th Me and the wife and anouther couple will be there. later:

Your downpipe is going to become a pretty much custom piece. The 3 to 4 bolt adapter moves the turbo up and out from the stock location.

I am not sure if going T4 is even worth it???:confused:

heck your 71 turbo right now is more than enough turbo to split a stock block in half! there's guys with 88 turbos with the stock 3-bolt housings out there...imo there's no need for a T4 housing

but heck what do i know...i just run a 61 turbo on my car

Well i have tested it, its worth it even on a stock block and heads, you wil pick up or i will give you $100 if you slow down hows that?

I would not do the 4 bolt unless you have plans on really needing one in the future I.E. S2 stuff.

You may pick up a little MPH with the 4 bolt now, but you'll give up something else. That turbo can go 9.4x's at 142, so turn up the boost.

Re: Re: Ive Decided To Go 4 Bolt

Originally posted by Ted A.
You may pick up a little MPH with the 4 bolt now, but you'll give up something else.

yeah...SPOOLUP!

Re: Re: Ive Decided To Go 4 Bolt

I would not do the 4 bolt unless you have plans on really needing one in the future I.E. S2 stuff.

s2 is in my future plans.

one of my main reasons, is to be able to use an ext wastegate on the crossover. i never liked the idea of rerouting high pressure bypass exhaust back into the downpipe. i was going to weld the racegate right onto the crossover and have it dump to the ground.

Four bolts are a waste of time.......;)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/turbocliff/detail?.dir=2266&.dnm=42c3.jpg&.src=ph

Dr. Boost, If you would like a complete set up to bolt a four-bolt turbo and racegate (headers with four bolt flange, racegate bung, and the DP), let me know......I might know someone who could either sell it to you, or make you a set up cheap...:cool:

And I hope you plan on taking off more than a few tenths for next season, otherwise you might never see what the front of my car looks like...lol

Talk to you soon-
Cliff

Ive been scratching my head for the past five minutes......

Cliff, what does the front of your car look like?

stop trying to steal the bust from the tree!

ill call u about a lil fabrication and parts soon.

surej

Re: Re: Re: Ive Decided To Go 4 Bolt

Originally posted by DR BOOST
s2 is in my future plans.

one of my main reasons, is to be able to use an ext wastegate on the crossover. i never liked the idea of rerouting high pressure bypass exhaust back into the downpipe. i was going to weld the racegate right onto the crossover and have it dump to the ground.

I would wait until you make that change, you'll likely be changing more than just the motor. Most race classes require you to tie the WG into the exhaust. There are no performance issues with the WG being dumped into the exhaust. I've been 153 mph with a 3-bolt. Your combo could be in the 9's. I would spend my $$ on getting the most out of what you have before making changes.
Chris Lyons
87 GN 9.01@153

Surej, the first thing you should do is correct your drivers seat problem, and build up your right leg muscles so you can keep your foot on the gas when you release the trans brake.... :D

Also, I agree with turbobuick about the wastegate exhausting into the exhaust, which can be done whether you install the gate on the crossover, or up by the turbo (i recommend up by the turbo).

As far as going S2, if you know you will be going with an off-center motor, then you're headers will be the same, and you can spend the time and $ on switching the turbo set up if you'd like. But if you think you might go on center, then I'd wait until you are building your motor...

Finally, I have never stolen the hit from the tree.......
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/turbocliff/detail?.dir=2266&.dnm=2fec.jpg&.src=ph

OK, maybe I have....:cool:

Originally posted by turbocliff

As far as going S2, if you know you will be going with an off-center motor, then you're headers will be the same, and you can spend the time and $ on switching the turbo set up if you'd like. But if you think you might go on center, then I'd wait until you are building your motor...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/turbocliff/detail?.dir=2266&.dnm=2fec.jpg&.src=ph

Just don't weld up the cross over pipe under the car(under oil pan) and you will be able to use the same headers between off-center and on-center engines.

I think the DP could be built now with the plumbing intact providing you stay with the same turbo(exh housing). The turbo will be pushed slightly rearward on a on-center engine, so take that into consideration when you make up the DP. If you get into a 3.5"- 4" DP clearance gets tight and we all know that parts that fit on one car may not fit on another when you take in the body bushing/motor mount variables.

Just don't weld up the cross over pipe under the car(under oil pan) and you will be able to use the same headers between off-center and on-center engines.

Depends if you still run factory style heads on the OC stage motor, or BM stage II heads....at which point, you would have to change headers.

But I agree that you could build the DP to fit either combo if you do a little planning.....

Originally posted by turbocliff
Surej, the first thing you should do is correct your drivers seat problem, and build up your right leg muscles so you can keep your foot on the gas when you release the trans brake.... :D

I agree..you'll get better performance fixing that seat
:D