JE Pistons vs Diamond Pistons what's the pros and cons

turbota440

Curious what has been the experience of the Buick community of the two different manufacturers in particular the difference in the inverted dome shape.

Curious what has been the experience of the Buick community of the two different manufacturers in particular the difference in the inverted dome shape.
I have JE pistons in my DLS built power plant and they work just fine

I would consider JE's in a build if they weren't so expensive for custom orders, but I wouldn't run a Diamond in my lawn mower even though they're cheaper.

If you started with a true v6 blank it would be my choice. The diamonds definitely aren't. The valve relief causes a very thin section on the top of the piston. I've ran both to 800hp with no problem including the thin valve relieved diamonds

BPE2013@hotmail.com

I've seen a Diamond melt down on the thin area bison speaks of. Not the pistons fault but the thin edge is a weak spot that will start to melt before a dish style JE.

Not the pistons fault but the thin edge is a weak spot that will start to melt before a dish style JE.
im not sure which will melt 1st but ive seen a torched cometic and head/ block and the diamond piston was undamaged,it was rather impressive as the cylinder got alittle hot:)

No to the Diamonds here as well due to the valve relief thin area....I've seen cracking there

Last edited:
Not any more and not for some time, the new dish design is light years ahead in technology too. JE pistons are now wiesco pistons, all the JE stuff was sold off in Cali they are made in Ohio now.

Not any more and not for some time, the new dish design is light years ahead in technology too. JE pistons are now wiesco pistons, all the JE stuff was sold off in Cali they are made in Ohio now.

Mike , Bison , have you either of you built any motors with piston tops ceramic coated ?? I've been reading a lot about it and was wondering if anyone here tried this ?

Mike , Bison , have you either of you built any motors with piston tops ceramic coated ?? I've been reading a lot about it and was wondering if anyone here tried this ?
I have not. I can't say that I agree with coating the tops of the pistons for most engines with high cylinder pressure and mass flow. It would likely hold more heat in the cylinder and reduce the detonation tolerance.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

The squish area present in the Diamond piston will create mixture motion in the chamber for a more even air fuel distribution. This will assist in a more complete and even burn helping to avoid detonation. If folks are torching their pistons, perhaps their tunes relative to dynamic compression could use a second look.

The squish area present in the Diamond piston will create mixture motion in the chamber for a more even air fuel distribution. This will assist in a more complete and even burn helping to avoid detonation. If folks are torching their pistons, perhaps their tunes relative to dynamic compression could use a second look.

Regular compression ratios confuse most people so I doubt there are a lot of dynamic compression conversations happening here but I'd love to be corrected.

A famous Turbo Regal calibrator and I demonstrated "dynamic compression" in a general sense. At 20 psi with his specific configuration we were able to kill the coil pack and run down the street under boost.

Quench area on a piston only works if there's quench area on the heads. Unfortunately, we have very very little on the Buick V6s. When I designed my forged pistons I started out with the intention of maximizing quench as much as possible. That was quickly put to 2nd as I worried more about a dish that would require the least amount of timing to achieve power.

Regular compression ratios confuse most people so I doubt there are a lot of dynamic compression conversations happening here but I'd love to be corrected.

I tend to bring it up often but it never goes anywhere. Since most people like to run big ass cams, dynamic compression tends to be off on the low side in those instances.

Quench area on a piston only works if there's quench area on the heads. Unfortunately, we have very very little on the Buick V6s. When I designed my forged pistons I started out with the intention of maximizing quench as much as possible. That was quickly put to 2nd as I worried more about a dish that would require the least amount of timing to achieve power.

I tend to bring it up often but it never goes anywhere. Since most people like to run big ass cams, dynamic compression tends to be off on the low side in those instances.
I have GN1's. The chamber is different and a lower volume than the stock irons.

The diamond pistons are lucky to be 8.5 to 1 with iron head.

Earl, what are you shooting for?

I like a minimum of 9:1 static. The throttle response, additional mileage, spool, and exhaust 'pop' are nice to have 24/7. After I put my car back on the road with the higher compression it just feels so much more 'solid' going down the road.

But like was mention earlier, static really doesn't mean anything. You can be 15:1 and have a soggy engine if your intake valve stays open until halfway up the bore.

I'm right with you Earl. Honestly you can slam more boost into a lower compression motor but what do I know. IMO it's more important to not have too much but again WDIK..

Last edited: