JE Pistons vs Diamond Pistons what's the pros and cons

Generally, compression ratio should be set as high as feasible without encountering detonation at the maximum load condition. What is the maximum load condition? We love to push the envelope. More boost = More load. Compression ratio that is too low will result in an engine that is sluggish yes but if it's too high it will knock a lot easier. :banghead: That said, a 9 to 1 dish piston is a beautiful thing.

Thats my $.02 on the compression thing.

That's the cool thing about having turbo engines. Since we can adjust our cylinder pressure, we just have to get 'close' and that's good enough.

I'm a fan of compression. The more you squish it, the more pop you get from the same amount of fuel/air. (within reason of course :) )

Are the other cheaper forged pistons any good? I think speed pros are also available?

Are the other cheaper forged pistons any good? I think speed pros are also available?
The reason they are cheap is because of the cheap wrist pins. If you look at the prices on them they are about the same as they were 10 years ago. How is this possible knowing materials have went up a crap load and the dollar has inflated since them. In general everything has increased in price if they were giving the same exact product today. They sure aren't selling at a loss. The Pistons themselves are all decent. Buy a cheap set of Pistons and replace the pins and you're right where you would typically be. They only list the cheapest because people price shop. You want cheap you'll get cheap. If you want the best then you pay for it. This will never change.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

I agree with Diamonds being junk. Maybe the design is better now but the ones i had melted between the top and 1st ring land and got sucked out. Ruined my motor. So, out of principle i would never buy them again. CP's for the next build.

The reason they are cheap is because of the cheap wrist pins. If you look at the prices on them they are about the same as they were 10 years ago. How is this possible knowing materials have went up a crap load and the dollar has inflated since them. In general everything has increased in price if they were giving the same exact product today. They sure aren't selling at a loss. The Pistons themselves are all decent. Buy a cheap set of Pistons and replace the pins and you're right where you would typically be. They only list the cheapest because people price shop. You want cheap you'll get cheap. If you want the best then you pay for it. This will never change.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Spot on.. and a lot of the issues now days is people are set in the mode that it's better to save up front and do it twice, than to do it right the first time even at a greater initial cost.
If you cant do it right up front.. wait until you can.. I am still amazed how people will skimp on quality where they need it but will spend money on bling parts that don't give them a thing.

Worst beating I've given a Buick motor was on a set of OLD SCHOOL TRW's (very heavy) ... by no stretch the best option piston currently but they took 30 psi + beatings regularly and even saw NO2 duty for a while..

It's amazing how much even the stock pistons can take.. and with today's technology and fuels we keep raising the bar on how far stock components can go.

Personally I've had pretty decent luck with JE's over the years as well as the Wiseco's ... ive seen Diamonds pushed hard too without failure but Its not my piston of choice.

Not any more and not for some time, the new dish design is light years ahead in technology too. JE pistons are now wiesco pistons, all the JE stuff was sold off in Cali they are made in Ohio now.
Would you be able to explain what changes were made in the design? I was pretty much set to go JE, but my engine builder is really pushing the Diamonds. Anybody on here have any experience with the new design?

Thanks

I get pistons from Diamond, but they are custom spec'd by me and my machinist. I get a custom inverted dome rather than a dish, there are no sharp edges and it leaves more meat on the backside of the ringlands. As far as wrist pins, the standard .150 wall pin will go pretty far on a 9 sec below 6000 rpm engine. After that I like H13 tool steel pins. Also when considering pistons, there are 4032 alloy and 2618. The 2618 is stronger.