Just got a Grand National and got some questions

MarkieMark

Hello all, great site! I just got a 87 grand national and it has a aftermarket downpipe, wastegate, fuel pressure regulator and exhaust. I was curious how hard is it to get these cars to run mid 7's in the eighth? My plans are for the car to be a street strip warrior. Also what psi is the boost supposed to be set at? Thanks again for the great site

Stock is 16# of boost I think. Mid 7s is an 11 sec car I would start with some alky,fuel pump with hotwire kit, turbotweak chip, scanmaster with a solid tune and traction I would think that would get u low 12s

Where can I get a chip for the car?

Do a search for TurboTweak chips

Take some time to get to know your car before turning up the boost. Take it slow or you will be learning how to change head gaskets. These cars are a blast and also a pain in the azz.
The first thing you are going to need is a second job to pay for all of the upgrades. :biggrin:
Good luck
Bryan

Live on this board. Read, read, read, read. Learn from all the mistakes and the do's and dont's. It will save you a ton of time, $$, and headache.

Welcome to the TR addiction.:)

Ed

Stock is 16# of boost I think. Mid 7s is an 11 sec car I would start with some alky,fuel pump with hotwire kit, turbotweak chip, scanmaster with a solid tune and traction I would think that would get u low 12s
stock is 11 #s of boost.

Get a scanmaster and learn how to read it. If you haven't done the "spring cleaning" yet I would do that too. Search it on gnttype.org. Don't be a hurry to throw parts at it. Little tweaks and good tuning will do a lot. Welcome to the club....and seriously, get a second job:biggrin:.

Easier Said then Done

Mid 7s in the 1/8! Tell me did you see a GN at your local 1/8th track and the dude driving it made it look easy? Do a spring cleaning and pick your parts wisely. Make sure all mechanicals are in solid working order. Just dont be disappointed first time out you run a mid 9 in the 1/8 th. Good Luck !

It's already been to the track and ran a 8.4 in stock form so I figured with a few mods it would run a mid 7

Get a scanmaster and learn how to read it. If you haven't done the "spring cleaning" yet I would do that too. Search it on gnttype.org. Don't be a hurry to throw parts at it. Little tweaks and good tuning will do a lot. Welcome to the club....and seriously, get a second job:biggrin:.

or a wife who makes some nice scratch :biggrin:

I hope you get some good vibrations from your new car.