Leaking AC. Cant find leak.

87BuickT

When I got the car the most of the ac system was replaced. It was retrofitted to 134. Tried to put some 134 in and it got cold but leaked out in a few seconds. I ran some UV dye thru the system and could not find the leak anywhere. Not under the car, under the hood, under the dash. Assume it's in the giant monstrosity on the firewall. Think its the Evap core area. I see the small bolts on top. Can I access the top of the core the get a better look or do I need to some major dismantling.

Since you had dye, did you use a black light to see if you could find the leak? In some cases you need to be in the least amount of light possible to see the dye marker. It would be very unusual for an evaporator core to leak that fast but it is possible.

If it leaked out in a few seconds, you should be able to hear it in a quiet environment.

The only dye i could see is what leaked out of the can. I turned off the garage light to look for it. Kinda hard to locate the sound exactly. The engine has to be on when putting in the 134, so it's kinda noisy. But I hear is coming from the pas side. Since I dont see any dye....figure it must be leaking in the firewall area.

If it's leaking that fast you should be able to pull a vacuum on it and hear the leak

Sometime the compressor can leak Behind the clutch and hide it

Defiantly coming from that pass side. Just need to know if I can get in to the the firewall area pretty easy or do I have to rip out a bunch o stuff?

Defiantly coming from that pass side. Just need to know if I can get in to the the firewall area pretty easy or do I have to rip out a bunch o stuff?
Before you take anything apart you need to get a general location of the leak. If it's leaking that fast it will leak just as fast without the engine running, believe me. Hook another can up with dye and use a black light to find the location.

I thought the engine and ac needs to be on to get the refrigerant into the system? What I did was run one can of dye..... did not see anything. Figure I could run another can of regular 134 to push whatever is in the system thru. But still nothing.

PS. this was done before i wrote this post.

If you have access to nitrogen you can pressurize system and squirt some spray nine on all fitting, condensor, compressor and look for bubbles. Your even Disinfecting engine bay..(y). If she leaked out that quick. You may be able to use smell refrigerant thru air ducts in car. Without looking @ car hard to tell. If its evaporator. While you have ac/heater box open. Time to change that ancient heater core while your @ it. Unless yours is new or you dont wanna bother with it. Good luck man.. ohhh also check your fittings on low side and high side and cutout switchs they can leak too

Check to see if your hoses were replaced as the original hoses can leak 134, it is molecularly smaller than r-12; also mine was leaking around the case of the ac compressor, you have to buy a new one as it can't be fixed.

Thanks guys. No leaks under visible or audible under the hood. Sound coming from the firewall.

The hoses don't leak any more with R134 than R12. The ester oil swells and seals the hoses. I converted mine 6 years ago and have the original hoses and no leaks. I just wish the compressor would last more than a few years.

I've had the pipe that comes out of the evaporator where the orfice tube is located strip and leak like crazy. You can get a repair kit for that without having to replace the entire evaporator. The pipe that connects to it was also stripped so I went to a hose shop and had a hose made to replace it.