Linkage bracket

vics86

I came to the place where I havent been led wrong yet. Sorry if my terminolgy isnt as consise at it should be! I have my BRF 2004r tranny installed in my 86 Cutlass. I recently did a column to floor shifter conversion(swapped bench for buckets also) with a hurst dual gate 2. Im getting close to connecting the shifter to the tranny but want to make sure I have the right parts or enough possible parts as possible. Im looking for a particular linkage bracket I have attached to this thread(the first one with grey surround). I bought another bracket I think will do the job from B&M item # 35498. Its shaped like an upside down t with 3 position holes.

I ripped of a similar bracket off of a late 80's camaro but it so thick I dont think my bolt is long enough to accomodate the existing bracket and the one I ripped off a junked camaro. Maybe the floor shift trannys have a longer linkage bracket bolt or something.

My goal is to still be able to use the gear indicator on my dash. More importanly, by having the existing linkage still connected to the tranny in tandem with the new shifter cable allows me to keep my neutral safety switch in the column without having to dig for those wires and wire them to the shifter in the floor. From the pic it looks like thats how gm did it with the HO's, 442's and probably the GN's?

Thanks for any responses.

Attachments

• linkage bracket.png
    linkage bracket.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 161
  • bmm bracket.jpg
    bmm bracket.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 167
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 170
  • closeupdualgate.jpg
    closeupdualgate.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 164
I'm a little confused. Can't you get a bracket like the one in the round picture from GM anymore? Does the linkage from the column really enter the shift bracket from the rear as in the round picture? It doesn't look right to me.
Maybe someone will post a picture of the correct parts on a car for us.

I'm a little confused. Can't you get a bracket like the one in the round picture from GM anymore? Does the linkage from the column really enter the shift bracket from the rear as in the round picture? It doesn't look right to me.
Maybe someone will post a picture of the correct parts on a car for us.

I got the pick off of oldsgmail.com it was from a 442. Im not going to speculate if it is wrong or not. Its the bracket Im talking about and that was a great idea about singding out if gm still has one!!!!!

The round picture is correct. Same as a GN. You don't have to worry about any wiring. All the switches are in the steering column. The rod actuates the switches and rotates the steering column so the shift indicator will still work on the dash.

The round picture is correct. Same as a GN. You don't have to worry about any wiring. All the switches are in the steering column. The rod actuates the switches and rotates the steering column so the shift indicator will still work on the dash.

fantastic

I got 'er done. Thanks to those who replied. bowl on the the steering column is a little sloppy but the shifter hits all gears with relavtive ease and yes I do have my shifter cable connected to the transmission lever that is connected to the linkage to the column. No rewiring for backup lights or neutral safety!
I did have to modify the lever bracket some. I will post picks soon in case others find it usefull.