Lock up issues, 4th gear pressure port??????

Lock up issues

I have my Trans locking up automatically when it shifts into 3rd gear.
The way I have is with a pressure switch on the transmission.
Does the Trans have a 4th gear pressure switch so that the torque converter can only lock up in 4th gear instead of 3rd and 4th ?
And yes I have a manual over ride to shut it off.
thanks
David

4th pressure switch is on the bottom passenger side of VB, 3rd is on the rear of VB.

Thanks
But I am looking for an external port that I can just screw a pressure switch into.
Like I currently have on the external 3rd gear port.

any one else??

Thanks
But I am looking for an external port that I can just screw a pressure switch into.
Like I currently have on the external 3rd gear port.

any one else??

Line Pressure Port is on the driver side of trans above shift lever shaft. External 4th Pressure Port is on the passenger side, rearward of Servo below the trans holding fixture hole.
The 2004R doesn't have a External 3rd Pressure Port?

Line Pressure Port is on the driver side of trans above shift lever shaft. External 4th Pressure Port is on the passenger side, rearward of Servo below the trans holding fixture hole.
The 2004R doesn't have a External 3rd Pressure Port?

If this is a fact, :confused: What port is the switch on now?:confused:
I have a pressure switch on the Pass-side on the Trans. When the Trans changes to 3rd gear the switch is activated and there for the L/U is engaged. The L/U remains engaged into 4th gear and when the Trans down shifts from 3rd gear to 2nd gear the L/U disengages.
thanks for your help Dude.
David

Check your wiring. There is no external 3rd gear pressure port. Are you sure your not wired into the 3rd gear pressure port inside the trans? :confused:

I think we are "Being denied some need to know information" :) Do you have the computer also wired into the lockup? What chip are you using?

i am 1000% sure that i am wired to and only to the pressure switch on the OUT SIDE of the trans.

Are you talking about the 4 prong elec. switch on the outside of the trans? The wires do go inside to 2 selonoids they are mounted to the valvebody (you can see them once you drop the pan) one is for 3rd and the other is for 4th gear lockup...

The car has no VSS
The 4 wire electrical plug is OE wired.
The lock up solenoid wire is interrupted at 3 places.
1-At the brake switch
2-Manual over ride
3-MY pressure switch on the OUT SIDE of the Trans.

To activate the lock up
1-I have to stay off the brakes
2-I must activate the manual over ride
3-The transmission must shift into 3rd gear.

OK it looks like I have an alien for a transmission.

Using the same set up I have now, how can I make it so that the L/U only engages in fourth gear?

OK it looks like I have an alien for a transmission.

Using the same set up I have now, how can I make it so that the L/U only engages in fourth gear?

Need more info. Is it a BRF trans? What chip are you using? You said the 4 pin connector on the trans is wired to O.E. specs correct? Does the trans have both the 3rd and 4th gear status switches on the valve body? If not which ones does it have? If you have no VSS are there any codes set in the computer?

Need more info. Is it a BRF Trans? What chip are you using? TT ALKY
You said the 4 pin connector on the Trans is wired to O.E. specs correct? Yes
Does the Trans have both the 3rd and 4th gear status switches on the valve body? If not which ones does it have? I think it has only one and I think it’s a BQ I’ll have to check an old thread
If you have no VSS are there any codes set in the computer? The chip is set to ignore the VSS code.

Need more info. Is it a BRF Trans? What chip are you using? TT ALKY
You said the 4 pin connector on the Trans is wired to O.E. specs correct? Yes
Does the Trans have both the 3rd and 4th gear status switches on the valve body? If not which ones does it have? I think it has only one and I think it’s a BQ I’ll have to check an old thread
If you have no VSS are there any codes set in the computer? The chip is set to ignore the VSS code.

Are you using a 86-87 wiring harness? Just for grins :) disconnect Pin "A7" on the computer and see if the converter locks. Also put a scan tool on it and check your 3rd and 4th gear status when the trans is in 3rd gear.

Are you using a 86-87 wiring harness? Just for grins :) disconnect Pin "A7" on the computer and see if the converter locks. Also put a scan tool on it and check your 3rd and 4th gear status when the trans is in 3rd gear.

Yes 86-87 wiring
The Computer wiring is not easily accessible
I don't have a scan tool

Yes 86-87 wiring
The Computer wiring is not easily accessible
I don't have a scan tool

Without a scan tool this is going to be a little difficult. The computer has to be getting a 4th gear status when it is in 3rd gear. Try disconnecting the external switch and see if the converter still locks. We have to determine where the computer is getting the 4th gear status.

Without a scan tool this is going to be a little difficult. The computer has to be getting a 4th gear status when it is in 3rd gear. Try disconnecting the external switch and see if the converter still locks. We have to determine where the computer is getting the 4th gear status.

My computer does not control the L/U function on my car.
I have been told that with out a VSS the computer does not activate the L/U.
My car does not have a VSS and I never had the L/U function working. In order for me to have the L/U function I had to add a manual over ride and a pressure switch. But when I added the pressure switch I put on “A” port on the transmission that gets pressurized when the transmission shifts into 3rd and stays pressurized even after the transmission shifts into 4th. Now I only want it to L/U in 4th gear. And NOT in 3rd .

So to rephrase my question.
How can I have the L/U activate automatically in 4th gear only?
thanks

Is the wire from the computer "A7" disconnected. If not, disconnect it. If the TCC is wired like you say the converter should not lock until you are in 4th unless it is still tied to the computer and for some reason the computer is commanding lockup when you are in 3rd. Have you disconnected the external switch to see if it still locks?

Is the wire from the computer "A7" disconnected. If not, disconnect it. If the TCC is wired like you say the converter should not lock until you are in 4th unless it is still tied to the computer and for some reason the computer is commanding lockup when you are in 3rd. Have you disconnected the external switch to see if it still locks?

with the wires pulled of the external pressure switch the L/U does not work in any gear even with the manual over ride activated.