looking for 87gn

Dzdave

I'm a new member looking for a 87gn . I have wanted one since I first laid eyes on one in 87! Now my wife would like to get one so I say right on! I will find you one> Now I start my search . If anyone in Seattle knows anyone selling a clean one give me a shout. Or can point me in the right direction of what to look out for in a buick gn that would be cool . thanks Big Dave

I just saw a couple in the AutoTrader this week for under 10K. I know of another in Marysville and the owner is asking 10K. I've seen that one and don't think it's really worth 10K, more like 8K.

Good luck

thanks for the reply. If you have some time I would like to talk with you about these cars ? just get a few pointers on what to look for etc.... my #206-433-1769 or I can phoneyou thanks Dave::D

buyers checklist

I think the buyers checklist on gnttype.org is well done. Just my .02. Good luck.
Gary

Gary,

Are you going to make TT this year? I remeber your car and the story behind "4MI DAD". Hope to see your there again this year.

Frank

In case you don't remember me, I was the one with the Black Grand National. :)

Hello again Frank. For sure on TT this year- I think it is a good think that we are running on same weekend as Chevy Showdown!
Your going to be there right?
I am gonna lose the cat this year and actually turn up the boost via the adj wastegate part that Bill Chapman gave me last year.
Last year I had the cat and only 15lbs boost so I am looking forward to some solid 12's this year. How about you?

grw,

That's funny, I'll probably put my cat on. :)

I'll consider the weekend a success if I don't break anything.

See ya there.

Frank

Hey I got a 86 t-top GN good driver 16in GNX style wheels and Dash mods thnks Ken 425-432-7515

Hey Frank ,

I think I will listen to your advice & stall away from t-top cars . I will keep looking local for nice clean low mile car if you hear of any let me know thanks for your input ! Big Dave:)

Frank: I think the T-Top cars being too weak to race fast is an old myth. I remember hearing stories that they snapped the upper T structure, but I've never actual heard an owner state it as fact. I recall reading in the past GNTTYPE digests that somewone is running low 10's or faster with a T-Top car. With all the typical added braces, bushings, suspension it should not be a concern. Nonetheless, if you plan on doing a lot of racing with it, a hardtop would add additional structural rigidity. But, once you're quicker than 11.99 you have to put in a roll cage anyway.

Dave: It's really difficult to find a nice, clean low mileage GN in the Pacific Northwest. I did the same search 3 years ago when I got lucky and found one in Victoria, British Columbia. Don't get frustrated if you don't find anything nearby. Importing from Canada is straight forward. I would be happy to send you my importing tips. Also consider purchasing from Dennis Kirban https://www.kirbanperformance.com/index_turboregal.htm and having one shipped out. I almost reached that point as well.
Happy Hunting !

TurboSlaaaaaacker

Yes, I would agree with you Dan that with the proper bracing you could take a "T" roof to 11.99 without serious issues. After talking to Dave It didn't seem like just 11.99's were his goal. I got the impression that he wanted to take it further, which as you know doesn't take much for these cars. I'm already at 517ft lbs with my little ta-48.

As far as stating that "T" roof cars were weaker, I read that from Dennis Kirbans book on " How to Buy a Turbo Regal". In that book he has a section of "T" roof cars having problems with these cars getting tweaked sooo bad that the doors won't shut when modded. However, the section didn't indicate that these cars were or were not braced in anyway.

If I were looking for just a cruiser then T-tops would be the route I would take. If the car is going to see track time then a solid roof for me please. I sure that you'll find that the general concensous would be that the solid roof is the way to go for racing.

Dave, this is were you need to have a game plan early on as you can see. Also, TurboSlacker purchased his car from Canada so he would be a good source for what's involved.

Like TurboSlacker said "happy hunting".

In the mean time here's something to read.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21710&highlight=t+roof+for+racing

regards,
Frank

well I don't know about doors not closeing on buicks that more of a firebird thing I have a t-top that can run in the low-12's with slicks and good gas and the doors close fine and the body has over 100k and it doesn't fill up with water when it out side the rain car was modded in 90 and 91:p thank Ken

I agree with you, Frank. If Dave plans on doing a lot of racing, a hardtop would be the preferred way to go. However, plenty of T-Top guys are running 10's and 11's. My point with putting in a cage at 11.99 and faster is it will significantly stiffen the body/chassis structure such that the T-top flexing is even less of an issue.

I just wanted Dave to keep all his options open since the search for a nice, clean low mileage GN locally may be challenging. Widening the search for a hardtop 86/87 GN throughout the U.S. and Canada should result in success rather quickly.

Come to think about it...there's something a little unsettling regarding cutting up a nice, low mileage GN to put in a cage. Oh well, it's been done many times before. :eek: