looking for help installing weird 3 prong clamp on steering shaft boot

1KWIKSIX

Just installed a new steering shaft boot from Mike's Montes and need to know if there's a special 3 prong tool that will compress the boot clamp allowing me to slip it over the boot

Is there a trick tool the General has for this?

If not, is there a special technique?

Thanks in advance.

dave

steering shaft 012.jpgsteering shaft 011.jpg ?

Try using a hose clamp on the 3-prong clamp to compress it down. Put it on about half way and then you can start the boot on the other half. Then slide the hose clamp off of the 3-prong clamp and then work the boot the rest of the way on there. Make sense?

you need to expand the clamp to go over the boot, right?
get creative with a cheap pair of pliers.. grind down one side so it is narrow enough to push on the single leg, and grind a groove in the middle of the other side so that it goes around the single side and pushes on the 2 legs.. this should allow you to open up the clamp with a squeeze of your new custom made pliers.

securing steering shaft boot clamp

Got it on!

Just needed an extra pair of hands.

Used needle nose pliers and fought thru it.

If anyone is looking for a replacement steerting shaft boot....Mike's Montes has them available.
It's not exactly the right size...is 2" od instead of 2.25" OD.
I used a 2 1/4" O ring x 1/8" and used special Loctite adhesive...bonded to the oustided of the boot which kept it centred...then just filled and smoothed the void with the right stuff......let it cure and bent over the (4) securing tabs.

Could of used a gear clamp....but wanted to keep the stock(ish) look of the original.

I had to remove the jeep steering shaft as it was virtually touching the header pipe.

steering shaft 013.jpg

Got it on!

Just needed an extra pair of hands.

Used needle nose pliers and fought thru it.

If anyone is looking for a replacement steerting shaft boot....Mike's Montes has them available.
It's not exactly the right size...is 2" od instead of 2.25" OD.
I used a 2 1/4" O ring x 1/8" and used special Loctite adhesive...bonded to the oustided of the boot which kept it centred...then just filled and smoothed the void with the right stuff......let it cure and bent over the (4) securing tabs.

Could of used a gear clamp....but wanted to keep the stock(ish) look of the original.

I had to remove the jeep steering shaft as it was virtually touching the header pipe.

View attachment 142463

so the part they sell is 1/4" too small and you had to do a ton of extra work to make it fit, and you are still recommending it?
this is why reproduction parts tend to be junk- people are glad just to have the honor of installing substandard parts.

so the part they sell is 1/4" too small and you had to do a ton of extra work to make it fit, and you are still recommending it?
this is why reproduction parts tend to be junk- people are glad just to have the honor of installing substandard parts.

Most people simply change over and install the "Jeep" Grand Cherokee steering shaft at this point. I went this route, but discovered my Kenne Bell Headers have a longer radius off the drivers side head and was almost touching the largest part of the steering shaft which has a rubber inner. So, could not go this route.

Instead decided to re-install the stock rag joint shaft. The factory rubber boot has been discontinued years ago. Since I wanted to have this look relatively stock....there is no choice. The steering shaft boot from Mike's Montes is all that's available.

Only a minor inconveience to modify it to work. I am happy how it turned out and feel that "the juice was worth the squeeze".

I was only recommending it for the few who want to keep it stock(ish) looking.

Each to their own I guess.

dave

Thanks for posting this. I like the idea of filling the gap with the o-ring and filler. I used needle nose pliers also. The installation went smoothly for me.