Lost fer Words. Not again!

EVIL

BANNED FOREVER
I have a strange rattling sound coming from the engine. I've checked exhaust, downpipe and cam sensor. All seem fine. I just installed a transmission. and new torque converter from PTC. I heeard this rattle before swapping trannys and thought it was the old tranny or stall converter.

You can feel it inside the car.

I'm fearing the worse.
So sick and tired of going thru this.

I know, more info is needed.

D

Check every nut n bolt for tightness again. TC bolts, flywheel bolts, bellhousing, driveshaft loop, crossmember etc etc

I know but we checked them all 2 to 3 times on install. Rattle was there before swap. I thought it was the stall converter.
I'm guessing a new PTC shouldn't make noise like this.
I'm going to remove and inspect oil filter tomorrow and hopefully it's clean. :(

D

Take the belt off. Still there?
Check the balancer bolt. Tite, and balancer not cracked?[Loose]
Pull the converter back, and see if the noise is still there. While you have the converter loose, check crank end play.
[What was the converter clearance when you put the new parts in?]
Pull the plug wires one at a time. Noise change?

Take the belt off. Still there?
Check the balancer bolt. Tite, and balancer not cracked?[Loose]
Pull the converter back, and see if the noise is still there. While you have the converter loose, check crank end play.
[What was the converter clearance when you put the new parts in?]
Pull the plug wires one at a time. Noise change?

Excellent info Chuck. I will try yours and TurboTnZ06 trouble shooting from easiest to hardest.
I'm going to Philly for a convention and will tackle this next week.

thanks again guys
Dhttp://turbobuick.com/forums/members/turbotnz06.6038/

BTDT with the balancer. The hub is pretty weak on the factory balancer. I've also had power steering pump bolts loosen up (my fault). With the belt off as suggested, tug on everything just to see. Did you pull the oil pan for any reason? One time I put the pan in with a thinner gasket and my baffle was hitting the crank.

I've gotten a lot of rattles from my exhaust. Check to see if fasteners are where they should be. Then grab the exhaust and wiggle it to see if it can hit anything. Obviously don't grab a hot exhaust.

Ok, I started the car to day and let it warm up since that's when the rattling type noise starts. It started rattling as expected.

I then unplugged the plug wires one at a time and started the car.

I could hear a lifter taping, as it always has, but the specific rattle went away.

I'm not quite sure during which unplugged wire it went away at but now with all wires plugged in i don't hear the rattle any more. :confused:

I took the belt off and nothing changed but the rattle was gone by that point.

The valve train is loud though.

I have to do some more trouble shooting tomorrow.

D

My worse fears have come true.
I cut open the oil filter today and finally saw the shimmering mess.
WTF?
I have no idea what happened.
I was running g
Castrol GTX i believe 10/30. I'm guessing right now. My head isn't right at this point in time.
Even though it's a roller motor i had ZDDP in it and some CD2 oil detergent.
Could this have been a factor?
I just don't understand it.
It's a new build. I don't have the build sheet.
Could the shops choice of bearings have been a factor?

Very sad, mad and disillusioned right now.
After all the work on motor and the body shop restoration inside and out all I can think of is parting it out or torching it.

It's gonna be a while for me to cool off.
I can understand why people give up.

D

oil 1 copy.jpg
oil 2 copy.jpg

Shit man those pics are clearer than the one you sent me, I can see it good now, cool down give me a buzz anytime...Mike

It must be dishearting, to say the least, but you can't give up now.

I had a pretty big mishap just a day after I got my car home from Lou Czarnota's shop.

Talk to your builder. If he's a stand up guy like mine is, he'll help you out.

So I'm cooled down now.

Maybe someone has an idea what may have happened.

this is a roller motor.
When I started the new engine last August I ran it for 10 to 20 minutes then changed the oil.
cut open filter and it was clean.

after more or less 500 miles i changed the oil again cut open filer and it was clean.
this took a few months since it was barely driven.
During the first miles of this second oil change I took it on the High way and brought it up to 10lbs or so to seat the rings as suggest by a few people.

So about three weeks ago after about another 500 miles I start hear a funny rattle.
It does not sound like a bad rod bearing. at least not to me.
I'll know better when I tear it down.
I cut open filter and metal was present.

What could have caused this now?

I don't get it! Everything was good.

I did get some knock a few times. It reached 1 to 2 green lights on the Caspers gauge.

Any input is appreciated.

D

Morel lifters with a 212 212 cam and HS roller rockers

A couple of the lifters have been a bit noisy and I've adjusted them several times to get them as best as possible.
It's definitely a bottom end noise.

D

EVIL said:
Morel lifters with a 212 212 cam and HS roller rockers

A couple of the lifters have been a bit noisy and I've adjusted them several times to get them as best as possible.
It's definitely a bottom end noise.

D

I would at least pull the intake to see if the lifter pin has walked out to the side and eaten into the lifter bore. Quick and easy check. I had a set that was loose and walking to the side. I caught it in time though. Good luck. I know how you feel.

I started tearing down the engine for removal. I'll post some pics once I have it apart.

D

Looks like gold glitter to me, so unless you have bushed lifter bores that ain't it. I'll bet you find trashed bearings. To damn bad this happens when you spend GOOD money.

Looks like gold glitter to me, so unless you have bushed lifter bores that ain't it. I'll bet you find trashed bearings. To damn bad this happens when you spend GOOD money.

I agree. It has to be a crank or rod bearing. I can't see me being the cause. I made sure everything was oiled real good.

I'm done complaining. Moving on to investigate.

D