Measuring Mass Flow with meter

achalmersman

Ok I'm a bit of a newb on this stuff. Assuming a person doesn't have a way to accurately calculate fuel consumption, using factory ECM / Powerlogger, and a TT chip, is there any easy way to measure Mass Flow?

I haven't bought a translator yet is there a way to use the gen2 to measure mass flow without using an extender chip?

Could one tap into the signal wire on the MAF and run a wire into the car to measure frequency with a Fluke 87V? Would I have to account for IAT? How inaccurate would the custom intake tracts we have effect the factory LS1 MAF tables?

Is there any creative way to measure mass flow other than fuel consumption / extender chips / xfi?

Thanks guys. Just curious and trying to learn

you talking part throttle (like for fuel economy), or WOT (WFO) like for plotting on a compressor map?

Bob

WOT not for any other reason than just knowing and watching changes as I make changes to my build / tune, etc. I plan on having this car a long time and I would just like to start measuring WOT mass flow now.

with your current setup, monitoring the MAF would be a bit of a pain. The induction systems affect the MAF a fair amount, but from day to day, mod to mod, you would just want to see the difference (increase or decrease) in the reading.

but, you can calculate from your existing data.

injector dutycycle is fairly proportional to fuel mass-flow, multiply by the AFR and you have something proportional to air mass flow.

You can work the math completely out, if you want it truly scaled in real-world units.

Bob

OK, it's really early which might explain my confusion here, but if the OP already has Powerlogger, cant he just monitor the mass air flow reading on PL??
Granted it's in grams per second, but just do the math to convert the reading to pounds per hour.

Ahhhhh, I started years ago with the Extender/Translator combo, then moved up to the Extender Pro/Translator Pro system, and now running the newest SD2 system. So for years I've been used to seeing realistic MAF numbers.

Actually thinking about it some more I have a question. How would I do this if I don't have a way to measure meth flow? Am I back to I can't do it?

Am I wasting my time thinking about measuring frequency off the ls1 sensor itself?