Methanol Octane Rating

Revolution

I was wondering if someone could clarify what the motor octane rating for pure Meth is? Also how does it compare to say to something like C-16 in a high boost, high Hp application as far as detonation control etc.

Most of the fuel distributors list a purity number. Any octane number is a guess. For a simple guess 120

Obviously a top alcohol dragster running 5's on this stuff should quantify octane.

Its hard to detonate alcohol.. but when it happens it can avalanche pretty quick.

There's plenty of reading.. HTH

There are plenty of opinions on that one. I have searched through many sources and have come up with this. The normal industry tests that are done to determine octane really don't relate to real world situations when it comes to methanol. Most books will state 89 MON and 109 RON. My experience has taught me that it is closer to 125 to 130 (R+M)/2. Keep in mind that under differing operating conditions the octane rating can change with methanol. An engine that is optimized for the use of methanol and with an A/F ratio that takes advantage of methanol's cooling effect can stave off preignition very well indeed.

Blown alcohol racer's typically run 10 to 12 to one CR at high boost levels. It takes a lot of octane to do that. In my experience, I have run for short periods, up to 26 psi with a 11.27 to one static CR. If you calculate the dynamic CR it comes out to something ungodly like low 30s to one. If you can keep the genie in the bottle, methanol is a fantastic fuel.

Thanks I have run Meth injection now am looking to run a dual fuel system on my car one system for pump and another for meth.