mixed E85 with 87 octane. Runs great 0 knock

JimP

Ok today just for my curiosity I used 25 liters of 87 Octane and 25 liters of E-85. Car ran great 0 knock even at 22 psi. I dialed down the Alky and still no knock. Even cost me about $12.00 less to fill that it would have with Sunoco Ultra 94 running close to $1.40 per liter here.

I am expecting to get a few less km on this tank but was just curious to see how it would work. All readings on scan master looked good. Mods in Sig.

Anyone have a guesstimate on what the octane reading on this mix should be. Guy who owns the station said at least 98 but he couldn't find some info. he had so he didn't want to say for sure. They just started carrying this E-85 as well. He had some literature on various mixes and expected octane ratings he said he would email me once he gets settled.

Jim,
I didn't think there was E-85 in our area yet, where abouts did you find it?

No chip, just went ahead and used my stock TT chip, other mods in sig. I have always seemed to have a rich condition at part throttle driving this clears up well when under boost. Have gotten into it a bit several times, I see no issues so far. With the amount I drive the car I should have fuel for the next three weeks so I'll post back.

Hard to say but E85 will act like 110 so I guess 98 is pretty close. But stay on top of your injector duty cycle and using the alky is a good idea to keeping it safe. You can probably boost more but then IDC will become an issue.

You have the double pumper so your volume will be good. :cool:

If I were to do this consistently I'd tune it in with a wideband just to make sure, then always do the 50/50 mix and you're good.

I'd ditch the fuel filter ( cheap maintenance) around the 1k mile mark just to see what, if anything, is going on in the fuel tank.

With the 50% 87 octane you shouldn't have any issues starting the car, even when it gets colder. ;)

i've been running the 50/50 mix of E85 and 87 octane in my T Type for 4 years now. my gas mileage is the same with the mix as it is running straight gas of any octane, and it is cheaper to fill it up.

i've been running the 50/50 mix of E85 and 87 octane in my T Type for 4 years now. my gas mileage is the same with the mix as it is running straight gas of any octane, and it is cheaper to fill it up.

Yeah 50/50 seems to be the "break point" where you can use 87 instead of 93 without negative performance issues on a general tune.

However most of us that use E-85 are not running it "rich @ WOT like we should. You run E-85 much richer @ WOT than you would gas to get the full benefits and HP. If you don't have a WB its hard to pull this off with any consistency.

So if said tune was used I would expect problems going to a 50/50 with 87.

I have yet to goto a WB myself so the 50/50 with 87 works great for me on the White street car.

50/50 testing

Ok so I tanked up with 50% E85 adn 50% 93 gas. Changed back to my exztender chip with alky setup (23 WOT timing). I set base MAF 3" to 5% rich and WOT fule to 12% rich.

Car spools up and runs great at 18lbs.

I'm bumping it up to 20 and will record with powerlogger.

However most of us that use E-85 are not running it "rich @ WOT like we should. You run E-85 much richer @ WOT than you would gas to get the full benefits and HP. If you don't have a WB its hard to pull this off with any consistency.

I wonder how well the GEN 2 Translator would work to keep the AF ratio consistent at WOT.

I wonder how well the GEN 2 Translator would work to keep the AF ratio consistent at WOT.

It would work awesome if you had the "wideband tracking" option enabled and connected.

I have a MAFT PRO now and I will also be using the WOT tracking option on it as well. Its one thing to use a WB to tune but to have the ability where it tracks and make adjustmenst, that a 'no brainer" to me and well worth the extra money.

It would work awesome if you had the "wideband tracking" option enabled and connected.

I have a MAFT PRO now and I will also be using the WOT tracking option on it as well. Its one thing to use a WB to tune but to have the ability where it tracks and make adjustmenst, that a 'no brainer" to me and well worth the extra money.

Yeah that's the plan, I'll also get a wide band O2 sensor and use the closed loop feature at WOT. What advantages does the MAFT PRO have over the GEN 2 translator?

I ran out of injector at 20lbs and mixing 93 back into it helped richin things back up.

Running 850cc injectors on a 71mm turbo.
Plan on going to 1200cc injectors to avoid 100% duty cycle.