Mobile 424 tractor fluid

TURBOV6

"SECRET PARTS"
Staff member
It's time to change the tranny fluid and I do have the Mobile 424 in there right now. Debating to switch back over to dextron.

I have not seen anyone mentioned about the mobile 424 tractor fluid for a while now and was woundering if anyone have ran into any problems.

I would keep using it.

Everybody has had great results from using that fluid.
Just remember to add a quart or so of atf so you can diagnois a leak from the trans vs the motor.
Other than that, we use it exclusivly.

Bruce
We4
www.PTSXTREME.com

WE4 said:
Everybody has had great results from using that fluid.
Just remember to add a quart or so of atf so you can diagnois a leak from the trans vs the motor.
Other than that, we use it exclusivly.

Bruce
We4
www.PTSXTREME.com

Where can you get this stuff?

Most auto parts stores carry this fluid. The brand may vary, but chances are you will find Mobil there. If not, try a farm store or a tractor supply.

At work we have chevron 1000 THF

"Tractor Hydraulic Fluids

Chevron 1000 THF
Chevron 1000 THF (formerly Chevron Tractor Hydraulic Fluid and Amoco 1000 Fluid) is a high quality, multifunctional fluid, specially formulated for use in transmissions, final drives, wet brakes, and hydraulic systems of tractors and other equipment employing a common fluid reservoir.

It is formulated with ISOSYN™ base stocks, a viscosity index improver, oxidation and corrosion inhibitors, antiwear and film strength additives, an antifoaming agent, and a pour point depressant.

Its distinctive orange color allows for easy product identification and leak detection"

is this the same as Mobile 424 ?

i dont really see an need for that if the converter and cooler are properly sized and selected for the application there shouldnt be any overheating issues.put your money into type f .

Do any of you recommend using the mobil 424 on a weekend/weeknight summer driver? Its probably a 90% street car, and will take to the track once in a while.

Thanks in advance

Do any of you recommend using the mobil 424 on a weekend/weeknight summer driver? Its probably a 90% street car, and will take to the track once in a while.

Thanks in advance

I would just use Dex 3 in there. No sense on just a weekend beater.

It's time to change the tranny fluid and I do have the Mobile 424 in there right now. Debating to switch back over to dextron.

I have not seen anyone mentioned about the mobile 424 tractor fluid for a while now and was woundering if anyone have ran into any problems.

I like a 50/50 mix. As some of the replacemet filters out there can be a little to restrictive with the thick 424 on its own.

I like a 50/50 mix. As some of the replacemet filters out there can be a little to restrictive with the thick 424 on its own.
Interesting... Guess you're saying that might harm your transmission, eh?

is this the same as Mobile 424 ?
Chevron told me it was 100% equivalent. All the same certifications. There is a Phillips flavor as well.

I'm a little wary of all the tractor fluids. Already lost a race season being a test case for the stuff... "Too thick", I'm now told...after it was recommended. Caveat Emptor.

Dexron or F for me.

Interesting... Guess you're saying that might harm your transmission, eh?

No.
Never said that. There are tons of cars running the 100% 424 with 0 problems.
Just because something says "Tractor Fluid" on the label viscosities vary significantly between products.
That is why it is recommended to use Mobil 424. It is known to work.

Mobilfluid 424
https://www.cbest.chevron.com/generated/MSDS/PDS7675977.PDF
http://tds.econocophillips.com/cata...r transmission fluids/66_Philube HG Fluid.pdf

For those that don't understand the specs well, the consistency is roughly equivalent to 5W-30. The variations between brands aren't much different than the differences between brands of gasoline or oil you use every day. Different? Yes, but all spec'ed to be used in the same equipment. You might favor one over the other, but they would not differ by orders of magnitude since they are used for the same equipment.

The Chevron engineer (and drag bike racer) I spoke with last year about this time actually recommended Red Line Racing Synthetic. (which is not a Chevron product) That particular formulation has a consistency akin to Type F, which is very close to these hydraulic fluids.

http://www.redlineoil.com/pdf/3.pdf

Just for fun: Transmission Fluids (Some AMSOIL specs from one of the pyramid of sources)

What are the advantages of it vs. Dextron?

What makes it different? Will it change the behavior of the trans?

Can it be used in a daily driver?

TIA

Chris

there are at least two different formulations of tractor hydralic oil- one for winter, and one for summer. i'd assume you'd want to use a thinner "winter" blend, correct?

Couple of recommended brands on rosslers site. I looked into using and some guys have used it in lower horsepower applications then Rossler says with good results. I heard its not good in cold temps but ok on the street. Most say they see lower temps and better lock up on the big end.