modified shifter bracket/ stage right brake

i agree lucky i was a GM tech for 8 years and still had my steering cloumn tools.
im having problems getting the picture off my camera.. i was able to get the dent right on just by using the dremel, but welded a small tab on the stop for a little extra safety

Column Mods:

Thanks for reply my good man, do you see what I`m refering to, I`m glad to know there`s people like you to help, sounds like you already hooked yourself into what is necessary to perform, any thoughts how we should procede? I can tell you know what`s happening, do you think a template or guide plate {Reinforcement} should be made ? How would you explain this to fellow "Crackers" . Tnx KLM.:smile:

I'b be interested in this too. Let me know what you need. All of my cars are column shift. Even the GN. I ripped out the console to save me 30 pounds or so. I even have a column out of the car to make things easier. I've also torn a few columns apart in my days and I have a few detent plates to play around with. I was thinking about this many years ago and have been rat holing them just for this purpose. I just never had the time to play around with it.

columnbrake.jpg.JPG

just finished doing the mod to the plate, less than 5 minutes grinding once you get to the shift detent plate. have pics of a stock and modified plate side by side if any one interested. :biggrin:
a few special tools needed to get down into the part of the column where this seldom seen plate resides. STEERING WHEEL PULLER, LOCK-PLATE REMOVER, and PIVOT PIN PULLER. The first two tools are readily at the local auto parts, but the pivot pin puller you will only find on the tool trucks (Snap-On, Matco), but is inexpensive.($20-30). You could also get creative with a mini dent puller to get those pins out.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone have any photos of this mod being done, or what the plate looks like? I would like to do this mod on my Limited. Thanks for your help!

looks like the place where i hosted the pic is down.. ill find the pics when i get home from work

Thanks Phil, I am sure I will be talking to you when I get her pulled apart. Jr.

how hard is it to get that part? i remember pulling my column apart some what but didnt get that far.