Moog 5658 front spring results

Alright guys I need some opinions on what went wrong for me. 5658 in front got me a nice 28.5-29" ride height :eek: (depending on which part of the cracked garage floor I measure from). 3.5" gap between tire and fender.

Is it not seated right? I made sure I put the bottom of the spring in the exact same position as the stock one when I pulled it out, but couldn't really get a good look at the top perch and was just hoping it would go in as long as I had the bottom lined up right.

Opinions?

Wow, did you take the rubber insulators out and tape them on the top of the spirng before installing it? Sounds like somethings not seated properly. Also, did you try to push on the nose? Mine sat pretty high until I bounced the nose around a little.

Alright guys I need some opinions on what went wrong for me. 5658 in front got me a nice 28.5-29" ride height :eek: (depending on which part of the cracked garage floor I measure from). 3.5" gap between tire and fender.

Is it not seated right? I made sure I put the bottom of the spring in the exact same position as the stock one when I pulled it out, but couldn't really get a good look at the top perch and was just hoping it would go in as long as I had the bottom lined up right.

Opinions?

Mine looked like a four wheel drive right after I left it down from the jackstands. I went out in a parking lot and hit the brakes hard three times and it settled down.

Mine looked like a four wheel drive right after I left it down from the jackstands. I went out in a parking lot and hit the brakes hard three times and it settled down.

Did you ever get any pictures of your car with the spacers in?

Hmmm interesting. Now I don't know if I need to redo it or if it just needs to settle down.

Mine definitely wasn't on the top perch correctly. Tried bouncing it but it was stuck. I repositioned it and just have to bolt everything back up, aka line up the control arm again. :rolleyes:

Mine definitely wasn't on the top perch correctly. Tried bouncing it but it was stuck. I repositioned it and just have to bolt everything back up, aka line up the control arm again. :rolleyes:

Good luck! Let us know how the ride height is after you get it bolted back together.

Rob

Photos with Moog 5658s with and without SPC 1/2 inch spacers

Here is a picture of my car with the Moog 5658's. Ride Height was 25.125 inches. I had some tire/fender rubbing when I hit bumps/dips in the orad

DSC00074.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my car with the Moog 5658's and SPC .5 inch spacers which give one inch of lift. Ride height is now 26 inches. No rubbing now.

DSC00004_4.jpg

DSC00001_3.jpg

I was lazy and left the car in the garage. Next time I drive it I will get some better pictures outside.

Good, I'm glad you found the problem! Shoot up some pics when you get it together!

Here is a picture of my car with the Moog 5658's. Ride Height was 25.125 inches. I had some tire/fender rubbing when I hit bumps/dips in the orad

DSC00074.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my car with the Moog 5658's and SPC .5 inch spacers which give one inch of lift. Ride height is now 26 inches. No rubbing now.

DSC00004_4.jpg

DSC00001_3.jpg

I was lazy and left the car in the garage. Next time I drive it I will get some better pictures outside.

Looks good! How much total drop did you end up with from the beginning to start? Another nice thing is if you want to change it down the raod, you have that adjustability!

Looks good! How much total drop did you end up with from the beginning to start? Another nice thing is if you want to change it down the raod, you have that adjustability!

Jeremy,

It sat at 27 inches with the Simmons/245/45/17s and stock springs/UCAs.

I am going to drop down to a 235/45, and if they tuck in nice I may swap out the .5 inch spacer for a 3/8 one (which would give 3/4 inch lift). I should have about a 25 and 3/4 inch ride height in that case.

Rob

Yeah i would agree that the 5413 look as though it will lower the car just by comparing height of springs. I have read that people definately like them for cornering purposes. I wonder how much a new stock replacement spring sits versus the 5413? My used stock springs in my 86K mile car sat about an inch lower than the 21K mile car. This may be a difference as well. I think we should have someone measure their low mile original car and see where the comparison is. I read on a few different places where people installed the 5658 springs in the fron and it acutally raised the car becuase their stock springs were sagged that badly. What size tire are you running in the rear?

Measurements are being made with a 26" tall 245/50/16 on GTA fronts. My car would be one that the 5658's would raise. You had suggested awhile back for me to go with those, but I know with glass bumpers, alum mounts, f body radiator, mini starter, A/C delete, no front sway bar etc. it would have been way too stiff and high for me.

OK I just went out and measured my 57K mile Limited that has stock tires on it. It measures 27 7/8 floor to bottom of lip. The 215/65R15 tire diameter is 26".

Ok, if your Limited sits that high then maybe these cars are more like 28" stock? Seems crazy high, but I'm used to my car being slammed to the ground so everything looks like a 4x4 to me. Since I ended up with 27 7/16" with the 5413's and that was with a glass bumper, aluminum mounts and no jack or spare (I do have 2 12" subs and 2 amps though) I suppose with settling on a full weight car you might end up with a 27" ride height which would obviously be about an inch drop. I have no idea how many miles are on the stock springs I had that set my car at 27 1/2" so maybe they were already sagged about an inch. I was just surprised to see basically no difference between the two.

Jeremy,

It sat at 27 inches with the Simmons/245/45/17s and stock springs/UCAs.

I am going to drop down to a 235/45, and if they tuck in nice I may swap out the .5 inch spacer for a 3/8 one (which would give 3/4 inch lift). I should have about a 25 and 3/4 inch ride height in that case.

Rob

Rob, I know your front ride height is 26" now. Just curious, what is the back? Looks like maybe 27"? I'm trying to dial my car in so the back is 1/4" to 1/2" higher than the front. That should give me just a very slight rake.

Rob, I know your front ride height is 26" now. Just curious, what is the back? Looks like maybe 27"? I'm trying to dial my car in so the back is 1/4" to 1/2" higher than the front. That should give me just a very slight rake.

TSpool - you are right on. it sits at about 27 inches. I replaced the back springs with variable rate cargo springs a few years ago, but can't recall what kind. Like you, I would like to find a spring that would get me down to 26.5 inches.

T SPool - Another thought - SPC offers spacers in 1/2, 1 and 1 and 1/2 inch for the rear springs. They give an approximate lift of 1.25 to 1.5 the spacer thickness (i.e., .5 inch spacer lifts car 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch). If we could find springs that give too low of ride height, e.g, 26 inches, we could use them to raise it back up to 26.5 inches. This may be easier than looking for the perfect spring (which probably does not exist).

The link to SPC catalouge on the spacers is here: http://www.specprod.com/CATALOG_DIR/Coil_08.pdf

I used the front spacers and am very happy.

Rob

Hey guys, I have BellTech rear springs on the rear of my car that are supposed to lower it 1.5". I personally think they are too high. I should have the front end back on the ground tonight. I'll measure the rear height. I thought about the Suspension Tech rear springs. Cant remember off the top of my head how much they are supposed to lower the car but I think it was more than the BellTech's I have. The only problem is, we dont want something that is too soft. If the springs are too soft, the car wont handle for crap. Maybe the F-Body springs, chopped is the way to go to keep the spring rate up there?