Motor rebuild

89IndyTA

Never enough time........
Other than the basics: balance rotating assym, line bore (with my steel caps)and bore of pistons what else is there? Just covering something I might of missed. I have not yet received the tear down report yet so I'm not sure if I need pistons or not or if the crank needs turned, if I do need (pistons) them I will go with a forged piston. I will be using 208/208 cam, new lifters, cam button and springs. Not sure if I will port and polish the heads at this time tring to stay to a budget. Fel pro gaskets all around including the head gaskets.

What would be the bearing of choice? Clevite or Federal Mogal?

I plan to introuce the GMHT articles to the machinist involved with this rebuild. So they can clean up the "poor spots" in the stock block. They are buick compotent fellows. TIA

Check the deck,complete valve job including replacing guides and surfacing,....

Check rods,

And if the crank need turning,tell em to put a chamfer on the radius..else it will weaken it big time.

Dont know bout the buick 3.8 but my last motor I used King aleculars for the bearings..And Hasting plasma moly file fit rings...along with the SD valves...

Just my $.02 on the porting, but if you are changing the valve springs and doing a valve job, why not just do some home port work?? Not saying to seriously hog anything out, just clean up the obvious flow stoppers. Won't cost you hardly anything and will provide some cheap HP.