Motor Week Retro - Run-down of 1987 G-bodies from 1987

87-WE2

Back in business!!
Ran across this on the boob tube.
The Monte Carlo's performance is referred to as "breathtaking" at 16.0 and 81mph!! Funny

That's a great clip. Loved the two track tests in hot and cold weather, neat to see how a stock GN responds.
It reminds me of the 1986 car and driver test in 8-degree cold. 13.9s baby!

got into a lively "conversation" on a g body page on facebook a couple of weekends ago about using the word "musclecar" to describe G bodies... turns out i was right in that the Buick is the only one to even have anything resembling a claim to that title... 150hp in the best Pontiac version, 180hp in the best Chevy version, 170hp in the best Olds version, 245hp in the best Buick version- that's a 65hp advantage for the little Buick engine, unless you count the GNX, of course..

Agreed. I read an article about the 2004-06 GTO that said "it's fitting that the first musclecar is also the last musclecar." Which is BS if you've ever driven a new GTO as the handling and braking is more sports car than anything. TR's combination of crazy fast speed, ok handling and iffy disc/drum brakes is straight out of the '60s musclecar playbook.

At the end of the video Talked about the front drive replacements..........What a joke

At the end of the video Talked about the front drive replacements..........What a joke

not much more of a joke than the cars they replaced.. at the time, fwd was being pushed as the way of the future and a few of those fwd cars were fairly quick: i spanked a couple of 5.0 Mustangs pretty good at stoplights with my DOHC 3.4 powered 4 door 94 Lumina...

not much more of a joke than the cars they replaced.. at the time, fwd was being pushed as the way of the future and a few of those fwd cars were fairly quick: i spanked a couple of 5.0 Mustangs pretty good at stoplights with my DOHC 3.4 powered 4 door 94 Lumina...

The only reason they changed the chassis was to save money. You still have your lumina? Prob not. They were more throw away than anything. Most are Soup cans now. Like them or not ,a hell of a lot more must like gbodys. This board been here for years and the thousands of restoration parts available. We're around the same age. I remember all the 5.0 mustangs too. New when I was in high school. Heck I'm here in Houston , Mustang central you hardly EVER see 5.0 from them years. Have friends in the club here and they all refer to those cars as the old junk. Funny how things change . Peace bro.

Last edited:
The only reason they changed the chassis was to save money. You still have your lumina? Prob not. They were more throw away than anything. Most are Soup cans now. Like them or not ,a hell of a lot more must like gbodys. This board been here for years and the thousands of restoration parts available. We're around the same age. I remember all the 5.0 mustangs too. New when I was in high school. Heck I'm here in Houston , Mustang central you hardly EVER see 5.0 from them years. Have friends in the club here and they all refer to those cars as the old junk. Funny how things change . Peace bro.

i see more early Luminas than i see G bodies.. and i traded my Lumina for a 94 Caprice 9C1 back in '01..

I had a Z34 Lumina back then . Thought it would have been neat car for a turbo , 3.4 dohc , 7000 rpm redline & there was room for a turbo !!