moving to the west coast..

nordy racer

Just wanted to post a question on this board.. i'm moving to Huntington Beach (From Maryland) and i wanted to see how many GN owners live and hang out there.. Also was trying to see if there were any GN clubs that hang out at the local tracks.. My wife and i are planning on being there by December, i can't wait to worry about snow anymore

Welcome. Actually I live 125 mi away but pleased to see several GN's when
go to events. There are 2 tracks, Ponoma & LACR & at least once a year someone get's GN runs arranged at either. Stay tuned this section of the site for events. Can look for HURSTBUICK (Steve Hurst), he's in LA & President of local BGNRA Turbo club & of course would be a good reference. One of best mechanics also close in Lake Forrest (Lou's Automotive). Weather & scenery here is hundred times better than Right Coast, but quite honestly y'all have more hot rods & tracks than us...tree huggers whittling us down for years.
Huntington Beach?.....bring lotsa $$; in nearby Newport Beach you pay a buck per breath of air.

Have fun killing rice rockets down there!! When you are down here shoot me an email and we can meet up I am also about 100 miles away but I like to meet other Bukc people so its not a big deal. Well good luck on the move.

Morgan is from Orange County. He goes by Drip Pan on this board. I'm sure other guys from the L.A. area will chime in.

I'm from the east coast originally, and I really like it in San Diego. Expensive, but...pretty stinkin' nice. You are absolutely going to love the weather. December is great, but the rains start in Feb. But don't let that get you down - 'cause there ain't no snow! :D

You are in luck, one of the largest car hangouts in Orange County called Donut Derelicts will be in your backyard. We meet on the corner of Magolina and Adams Ave in HB every Saturday morning from 6 to 8AM. Typically over 350 cars show up; of those 350+, maybe three or four are Buicks, and mine is usually the only TR. Best of luck on your move!

Darn it, that should have read MAGNOLIA (like the flower) and Adams Ave., not Magolina. At any rate, Magnolia is one of HB's major streets. Sorry for the typo!
DP

Thanks guys... I'm looking forward to meeting everyone once i get there.. The new motor should bee in the car next week (billy anderson built stroker). We are looking to get 660 to the wheels.. my last motor got 575 but spun 2 bearings.. Don't know if she can pass the smog test out there, so it could only be a track car.. anyone have the hook up on the test out there??? thats my only worry on this move...

My cell for right now is (703)898-8422 feel free to hit me up....

Mike

Don't know if she can pass the smog test out there

I recommend you keep it registered where it is now for as long as possible. When moving cars to Ca., part of registration is paying a tax on it's value (no joke, they will ask it's value & you innocently say $15k & whammo you'll be taxed $1183.50!) plus registration, plus you'll need it smogged. then smog is each 2 yrs. It must be pretty damn factory in looks under the hood & have cat.converter, then they do tailpipe. Don't think W himself could find a tech. to 'pass' a car 'under the table'. We are lucky to have gofstbuick on the web site, he is an upper-eschelon State smog official in Sacramento & a great guy who knows his stuff. He won't tell you how to cheat, but will tell you what it takes to pass. You will find him as first entry under the Smog Tech & Emissions section. He cruises the Smog Tech sect and will reply to questions.
Damn....I wanna see this car :biggrin: , let us know when you bring it to a track.
(Other than smogging) you'll luv Ca.

Thanks.. Here is a quick break down of the car..... 231 stroked (to a 251) with a eagle crank and 40 over ROSS pistons.. Champ alum GN1 full ported heads, Roller cam, GTQ76 turbo, ATR headers and downpipe, FAST system, 400 trans with a brake and so on and so on... I'll e-mail GOFSTBUICK for some info...

Mac in SD.. i didn't get a PM.. Resend it please.
mike

Sounds like healthy engine.
I would keep the out of state plates also.

I wanna see this car also :D

Welcome to HB, (AKA Surf City USA).
This is really a great place to live. Great weather, schools, economy, restaurants, beaches, and almost no crime. Theres a bit of a disorganized TB following around here, but when we do get together, we have a good time. What part of HB are you moveing to?

Again, Welcome... Mike Barnard

Man what a turn out on this Thread.. I was starting to freak out a little, thinking that there were not going to be GN's that hung out.. Now i can't wait to get out there.. i got some good info from guys about the smog test, so i'm not really freaking about that anymore too.. Thanks guys..

Also i made a mistake on the area too, the wife stated that it's long beach we are looking at.. i think thats right up the street from HB. Driving is not a problem for me. Right now i drive about 2 hours one way to work every day. Heres my weekday driver 12.99's at 107...

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/12151/000_0745.jpg
have to watch some DVD's with at drive time.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/12151/000_0750.jpg

Welcome to California! HB is nice...used to live on 15th and Orange, downtown. Probably the best city on the coast in OC. I didnt realize there were so many T/R's around here...must be garage queens! :wink: