My Attempt at Up Pipe Brace

Vince13

I was having trouble keeping the up pipe connected as I turned up the boost, even after replacing the hose and adding constant torque clamps.

After blowing it off mid track and having to do the coast of shame I read the various threads on the topic and figured I would give this a try. So far so good.

Up Pipe Brace 1.jpg Up Pipe Brace 2.jpg

I've yet to figure out the benefit with the spring loaded Tbolt clamps. You have to bottom out the spring before you can clamp it down so why even have it there?

I use a little bit longer up pipe and very short couplings.
Also, add the beads at both ends of the pipe.

I gave up on the wide clamps on the throttle body. I use ss clamps that protect the coupler from the threads on the screw. The wide clamps don't squeeze the couple correctly with the narrow flange on the throttle body.

How much did it cost you in time and money to make that custom bracket ?
Very cool idea and seems like it should hold up for a very long itme.

All from scrap laying around except for the ball joint ($3) that I got at Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbor Freight). Two hours to build if you include paint and making things pretty with the bench grinder.

If the throttle body had a ridge like the up pipe there would be no problem.

I agree with Pronto I think the plain old worm clamps may have held best.

ahhh Canadian ingenuity bet you can open a Molson's with it too!

How about using some sand paper to rough up the pipe under the boot to give it something to grip to? As long as you keep it under the the boot no one will see it. Any thoughts?

Jay

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app