My Hoosier 275 drag radials...

Turbo6Smackdown

Ok, with the advice of this board on going with a radial instead of a true slick, I purchased the 275/50 Hoosier drag radials and mounted them on 10" wide stock gn rims. While out for a mini test and tune this Sat. night I accidentally put the pedal down a little too deep as there was a built M3 that wanted to see if his shit was fast. As I showed him it wasn't, I actually started going sideways at about 60 feet out or so and had to get out of it. If everyone else is cuttin 1.7 or so short times with these tires, I'm starting to believe I have other technical suspension problems causing my total lack of traction.

Besides of what you see in my sig, everything else is factory stock. What should I be looking in to as far as improving my traction? Instant center? Trailing arm deflection? I'm lost.

I am VERY happy with my HR rear set up. They are the longer lowers, adjustable uppers and the sway bar all with poly bushings. 60's went way down, traction way up on MT 275 et streets. No front sway bar and it still handles as good as an all stock set up. 16-18 psi in my tires seems to hook.

drop tire pressure down to 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U wont believe the differnce!!!!!!!

U have way to much air in them

No they are STIFF side wall and handle great just don't get caught in the rain

You should really be able to launch much harder than 0 boost. Do some more testing with the lower pressures. Id want to be able to launch with at least 5psi and be deep in the 1.5s for a 60' with a tire that big. I used to get 1.6 with a g60 m&h dot tire.
X2 on the no wet weather.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You really need a 275/60. The extra height helps more than you think. A "true slick" on the street at high pressure will spin even more because the center will be bulged up. Lower them and they will be loose around turns. Radials at 16 to 18 are fine on the street. My car is driven on the street to work and cruise ins, driven into a trailer, raced at the track, and back on the street with no changes, other than a set of spark plugs here and there.

X3 on the lower pressure! If you have an infrared temp gun, do a quick burnout then measure how much hotter the center is than the sides, that's way overinflated

I run them at 20 to 25 on the street 16 at the track.

I run at 18 lbs. all the time. I used to run them at 20/22 lbs. [first set] and they wore out faster and they wore out unevenly.

I know that every car is different, but that just means you have to find what works for you. I daily drive my car and want traction all the time.

It just so happens that I get both better traction and better wear when I leave it at 18psi.

Update to this thread. I have a few more mods to do to experiment with traction but in the mean time my driver's side Hoosier radial got a small hole in it. SUPER glad I stayed with a 26" tall tire otherwise my factory spare would have made my car drive all kinds of messed up.

Two questions now. 1. For you 99% street/1% track guys like me, what is your contingency plan for a flat while running 28" tall tires? 2. How far can you go on one 26" and one 28" inch rear tire without destroying the diff?

I've never had that problem but I don't carry a spare anyway lol It wouldn't bother me just to get me home or a station.

Wow. 12 weekends and my hoosier drag radials are showing belts through the rubber?? WTF? Wow... Anyone else here have their Hoosier radials last 20 minutes?

It's all street driving, and zero burn outs. Of course I spun 'em accidentally a few times, but I'm not a fan of spinning tires. Which was the entire reason I bought them lol.