My Malibu and this odd, black car...

Thanks. Good points - I'll do the sprayer when I hook up the nitrous during the next phase. The exhaust will be wrapped with extra insulation between the cell and the tailpipe (like the pix of the wrapped mufflers).

J

Sweet, dont want you blowing up. Just an idea, put a small pice of alluminum betweent the pipe and cell as a heat sheild. Is the cell insulated at all?

Nick

Nick,

The cell is a steel case with a foam-filled rubber bladder. I still like your idea of a heatshield, and will make one out of stainless and header wrap.

All,

Finally got the car rolling on 10/24, but sheared an old, aluminum (didn't know better?) fitting off my brake system about 3 block up the street. Tiptoed back up my driveway into the garage OK. Lucky it was a light traffic Sunday.

Updates (more this week):

http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk

Go to more photos

I hope to have it fully on the road this week, and start breaking it in. Still have to deal with a diappointing oil leak from the rear of the engine :mad:

Jim

Nick, I added a pic per your request. It looks crooked in this picture but it is the angle - the FMIC is aligned with the radiator via the rad. support.

I can't wait to check out the boost.

Jim

Should be even stealthier now - I put the undercoat on the fuel cell where it showed. Still a bit louder than I want though, but I haven't added the Dynamat under the hood, fender liners and interior floor. I'm hoping for something that just sounds like someone put some Flowmasters on it...

http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk

Go to More Photos

Thanks for all the notes.

Jim

Latest Photos (this weekend):

This first one gives you an overall sense of what I wanted this to look like - the stance, the tire/wheel width, etc.

Total Project:
http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fis...lderpictures/4dr_rearquartershot_090905_1.jpg

Engine Bay:
http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fis...sitebuilderpictures/4dr_fronttop_090905_1.jpg

It is 85% tuned and running well, though on the conservative side. I am going to install the knock retard monitor for the J&S Safeguard tomorrow, and then I'll be able to finetune the timing.

Thanks for all the advice and support over the last couple years.

Jim

always liked this post

laptops/nerdy

anyhow wanted to ask where'd ya get that brace under hood?

thanks
Alan

Alan,

They are from an '80s Grand Prix I found at Pick n Pull San Jose, CA. I sanded and repainted them but they deserve powdercoating. They were like $5 from the yard. The left side is pre-bent from the factory to clear the overflow tank and the air cleaner; it just happens to fit perfectly with my blower hardware. I was not thinking of using these braces when I designed the layout and am lucky they fit so well. The upper tray has dimples to show you where to drill the holes - the dimples go downward so feel the underside of the tray. I've checked about 20 1981+ cars and all but 1 (an Olds) had the dimples.

The other thing I got off that car was a front frame brace that connected the 2 front frame stubs under the radiator support. It goes from one frame rail to the other, and like the braces above, is stamped tubing. I can show a pic if you want. It really helped firm up the steering and suspension, by boxing in the extreme front of the frame rails back to the frame crossmember.

I had to take it off because the blower downpipe.

Thanks for the comments.

Jim

Some updates and a datalog posted today:

http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

It's really running strong now that I have a nice balance of timing, the new 75# injectors and the J&S Safeguard. I just wish this Vortech pumped some more... I'm only getting a max of 8# (after the FMIC and throttle) through the 383. No detonation on pump gas.

Jim

Finally some dyno numbers

Just getting around to posting my first dyno session ever. This was from a few months ago:

A pretty exciting day. First we had a little Pro-Touring get together at Speed Merchant in San Jose, and I got to take the car out for the 1st time in like 5 weeks. I met my friend Curt there (69 Firebird, procharged SBC 355) - but he hung out only for a little while and told me he was going to a Dyno Day at Apex Motorsports in Santa Clara (I know the Bay Area Turbo Buick guys have all been here!), for a special 3-pulls-for-$55 group day on their above-ground DynoJet Chassis Dyno.

I switched to the truck for a while and went over and checked out what was happening. There was a lot of cars around and maybe 40 people. I tried to get on the dyno list but the operator said the list was full. Curt's 69 Firebird was last on the dyno list, but I didn't see him around. I called him and he said it was a 2-hour wait and he couldn't hang, and gave me his spot. I went back home and snagged the 4DR again and hurried back. I got to hang out talking and meeting new people until 7:04PM to make my first run. I tried one in 2nd, unlocked converter. One in 3rd, unlocked. Last one in third, locking at approx. 45mph.

THE RESULTS:

501rwhp at 5800
470ft/lb at 5250

4dr_dyno3excel.jpg

There were some Ford Cobra guys standing around laughing at my car when I rolled onto the dyno. Since the best any of them put down that day was 470rwhp, they weren't laughing after my last pull! To give credit where credit is due, there are a few 03-04 Cobras around that are running hi-boost Whipples putting down in the 600rwhp range. Need to watch for them.

I was pretty happy with the numbers considering that the Vortech V-2 S-trim is too small and I can get a max of 7.5# of boost from it, after the FMIC and throttle. That's on a healthy breathing 383 with a small solid roller (230/236, net lift .575/.584, 112LSA), good heads (ported E-Tec 200's), 9.6:1CR, LT's, true 3" duals. I'm wondering how the HP would have held up if I set the tranny shift point higher - the line was pretty flat until the shift.

Definitely a day to remember!

Thanks to George at Apex for showing me what to do.

In the latest news, I have a new V-2 T-trim here waiting to go on. It should get me to the 10-12# range and after tuning, put down around 580-630rwhp and hopefully 540-560rwt. I am considering Razor's alky kit or the FJO Racing alky kit for use on hot days and at the track. And I still haven't hooked up either stage of nitrous.

I also got some MT ET Drag radials (275/40/17) that I hope will help me hook off the line. I got them based on recommendations from my Turbo Buick friends on the Bay Area Turbo Buick Forum. They are clearly stickier than the current BFG KD's.

Here's a picture from our cruise to Monterey. It was a shakedown cruise for me - I had previously never gone more than 10 miles from home while I fixed different bugs. On this trip I logged 160 miles:

4dr_turbo_buick_cruise_to_monterey1.jpg

I'm looking forward to hooking back up with the club for a track day.

Jim

My Site: More Photos (Edited 04/14/07)

I had nightmares about whistling bats racing past my head for like a month...

Jim

LMFAO, that was a good and funny story. Glad to hear you got a GN also, Your car is the ultimate sleeper, I would love to do that setup you have in my El Camino.
A true racer would not laugh at your car, they can not see what is under the hood, Just seeing your rear end and listening to how your car sounds, and the HUGE Sway bar and diff cover also would show you mean business, I know it doesnt always mean the case but is a tale tale sign. Love your setup.