N/A Build...PICS INSIDE!

I'm starting with a Holley Vacuum Secondary 600cfm mainly because I had one I could borrow for free to get the car up and running. This should actually turn out to be a good carb for the car with some tuning on it but I am just going to slap it on out of the box for now.

I do want to get a mechanical secondary type carb at some point to be a little more effective with the nitrous and am looking into the "390cfm" Mechanical Secondary HP series carbs that get run on circle track cars. They are on Ebay quite a bit and some are pretty cheap. I think the 600cfm Mechanical Secondary might be a little much.

I have a true dual catback exhaust system almost new that i had custom bent with 2 cats & 2 flowmasters on it that will bolt right up to those headers-i had the same ones., i could sell or trade very reasonable-it sounded like a big block chevy when i did my NA set up.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to mess with it much lately with Thanksgiving, work, and the Christmas holiday. I do have the whole week of Christmas off so I am planning on getting it fired up then. I will let you guys know.

49-Blues, I appreciate the offer but I already have an exhaust setup. Thanks though!

Aaron

After a few all day wrenching sessions, I got the car started...woo hoo!!!!

I had a bit of trouble getting it to fire initially. Had plenty of fuel and air and knew it probably had to do with the distributor. I was having issues of the HEI cap hitting the front intake bolt and intake itself not allowing me to have a good range of adjustment of timing. A little clearancing and it was good to go. After that and a little tweaking of the carb it fired right up and brought it up to 2200-2500 for break-in. I was loud and obnoxious (open headers, couldnt wait to get the exhaust put on) but ran pretty well. Then I noticed a few header tubes glowing red hot and it had a hard time staying fired below 2200. PCV hose going into the carb wasn't secured causing a lean condition and the glowing tubes. Fixed that, got it broken in and actually took a quick test drive down the street. No crazy antics, just wanted to make sure the trans shifted and everything was OK. I have a bit of tuning and minor coolant leaks to address but all in all I am pretty stoked!!

I'll keep updating as I get major things accomplished and some videos hopefully. :biggrin:

Check a few replies up in this post....about a 100-150 shot is what I'm planning...or maybe a blow thru turbo or centrifugal supercharger. I purposely built it with fairly low N/A compression for that reason.

I always wanted to build one to see how much horse the motor is pushing out with out the turbo. I mean if you got a turbo TSM motor putting out 750hp or more. If you take away the turbo its got to be in the 300-380 zone. Maybe even more. :biggrin:

Git er done!

Once I get everything sorted out on it I should be getting it to a dyno, I don't want to embarass myself with anything below 200rwhp without the spray ;) Or maybe I should, then hustle somebody at the shop into running me and then turn the spray on ;)

Kenne Bell Mark 2R Cam .494/.506, 226/232 duration

Sounds pretty nasty (as in not good...but cool at the same time) with the open headers since I haven't had a chance to get the exhaust on. I really need to get the pipes on and go through adjusting the valves again cause I couldn't hear them even if they were tapping over the exhaust noise :biggrin:

Pretty good. I have been messing with other projects on weekends to make some spare cash so I haven't been able to go at it as hard as I'd like.

I have basically been doing interior/exterior work on it the past few weeks like getting the new carpet in it, detailing the interior, etc. I have my new bumper fillers on order and once I get those I'll be able to put the bumpers back on. I should be getting the exhaust on it by end of next week. I just can't take it out and down the road to test too much without bumpers or exhaust on it!!! I did once or twice and people just looked at me like I was nuts!!

I should get most of the carb/ignition/timing/valve tuning done once I quiet it up. I am trying to make the first meet at the Maxton Mile in April so we'll see.

Finally (!!!!) I got some video and posted it on youtube. It has been running for months now but I haven't had a chance to snap a video and post it up. The car still isn't completly done (they never are). It is still in full primer and haven't had a chance to get the bumpers on yet. Unfortunately, it still has the horrible 2.41 gears in it. I took it out yesterday for an extended test drive. It is a SLUG with those gears and converter until 2800 and the thing just takes off and holds 1st til about 65mph it feels, then gladly chirps second and feels like it would pull for miles! I should have a posi and 3.73's or 4.10's in it within a few weeks and hopefully a better converter. Anyways, in the meantime enjoy the video.

YouTube - 1981 Buick Regal V6

its been running for months and you now tell us you have videos???? !!!!!!!!:D when will it be street worthy?

For sure we hope to see the car runnin' on the street. With that kind of gears you better run 30 mph and nail it for the fun factor ;)

sounds pretty good, i still have the air pump off of mine that i modified for my headers if you need it for emissions, just send me shipping and its yours for free.

The only thing left to truly make it street worthy is getting the bumpers on, not an easy one man task. But it is licensed, insured, and registered and I have put a couple dozen street miles on it.

Yeah I love rolling out in first to like 30-40 and stabbing it, thats the only way it feels like it has any grunt with those gears! It actually has a very nice pull from 2800 right up to 5500. I'm scared to push it too hard yet. I need to change the break-in oil out and go through adjusting the valves again.

49-Blues, thanks for the offer but I have antique tags on the car and in VA antique tags don't require any inspections.

Next step is gears and posi and some mean burnout videos!

Hey, i left a comment on youtube. Just courious if there has been more progress made. Nice build, hope more vids are coming.