N/A Build...PICS INSIDE!

Really not too much progress. I did get the bumpers on and a little more tuning done to it. I still have the horrible 2.41's in it so its a little hard to tell what its going to really be like. I am waiting on my dad to pull his GN rear out of his car that he is replacing with a beefed up unit, so I will have 3.42 and posi within a few months. I've got my first kid on the way in early August and have been traveling with work a ton.

As soon as I get some new video or progress I'll post on here and youtube.

Aaron

I had a rebuilt 3.8 motor with a kenne bell low lift cam, 7000 rpm hi rev lifters, kenne bell #1 -4 barrel manifold, i got a electronic quadrajet 4 barrel carb and recalibrated it for the smaller cubic inches, modified the vacuum pump-in nyc it passed emissions with flying colors, headman ceramic coated headers with a custom true dual cat back system- i think its 2.5", a level 10 T350 trans with a lower first gear just like a 200r4 and a 2600 level 10 converter along with a moser 9" ford rear with 350 posi gears all installed in a 86 olds cutlass. 25 mpg and about 200hp.

That is THE sound I'm looking for. Kenne-bell cam eh? Is that also a kenne-bell intake manifold?

That is THE sound I'm looking for. Kenne-bell cam eh? Is that also a kenne-bell intake manifold?

If you want a KB intake Adam, one was either on evilbay or it's still on but has very little time left. Search under buick v6 to see if it's still there.

Don't want one just curious, I'm more than happy with the weiand/Yunick intake manifold.

The 4.10's and mini spool go in the car tonight!!!! :biggrin: I have messed with the car tuning (carb, timing, plug ranges) over the past couple weeks and have it running strong above 2500rpm. It is just so hard to tune the thing below that because the 2.41 gear and tight stock converter just bog it down. Can't wait to get the gears in and bring her up to 6500rpm :eek: I shall report back!

Ok..I was fearful the 4.10's were going to be too much. Nope! They feel just right. Granted the car will probably not do too much interstate driving, but for around town, back roads, and the dragstrip I think they will prove to be perfect.

The car just has so much more pull now. Before, the engine labored to pull through the gears; now it has no problem. Getting the gears in did expose a possible trans problem. Before, I was never able to run out second gear to redline. Now I can, and I am noticing a slip on the 2-3 shift. It isnt that bad, certainly no worse than stock, but certainly not like the tire screeching 1-2 shift. I am sure spraying it will only make it worse!

Next steps; get a decent carb and converter. The Holley 600cfm (4160 series) is just too untunable. I can't for the life of me get the off idle stumble to go away. I am looking at a 390cfm HP series :biggrin: The stock converter also stinks. It will still light the tires up, but sluggishly. Once the car hits 2800-3000 it is like a switch is turned on. I have a source on some decent rebuilt/restalled converters I will give a shot.

I'll try to get some video up of an in-car pull.

I know I'm one of the few that will say this but get an early Q-jet instead of a 390 cfm carb. A regular square bore carb is the problem. With the smaller primaries on the Q-jet you get the bottom end you want and the vac secondaries will allow for good top end. As far as the convertor get a 10" and get it over with. The lighter one will give you better response and let it take off faster Aaron.

Not to argue with Charlie but the Holley would be much better if you put a Performer intake on and get rid of the big single plane. I have had both. I started with the Performer and then went to the Kenne Bell. My engine is strip only but a little low on the compression side. Other than that is it full on. The bottom end was excellent with the Performer but it ran out around 6K RPM. The Kenne bell is very sluggish (even with a 4 speed) on the bottom end but it does run about 500 more RPM on top. I am running a 600 Holley and have 4.30 gears with a 25.5" tire so gear isn't an issue :p. Now, if you go with Charlie's option personally I think most of gains you will see will be going from the single plane manifold to a dual plane. The Kenne Bell is a square bore manifold so an adapter would have to be used or a new spreadbore manifold. If I remeber correctly, the Performer is dual so either can be used. My memory may be faulty on that but I can check. I have 5 different manifolds and they all seem to blur together. The performer set-up was WAY easier to tune too. I still have a little hesitation right off idle with the single plane.

LOL the debate continues. Even if you stay with a Holley get a spread bore. You really will get better response on the bottom end.

The converter is a 10"...or actually a 10.5". I figure I'll give it a try...for $150 I don't think it will be too much of a loss if it doesn't. It will certainly be better than the stock one.

I do have a 72 quadrajet 800cfm that I used on my 455 Regal. What could it hurt? I DO love the ongoing Holley/Rochester debate!!!

The 800 will probibly be a little to big but give it a try and see if the bottom end is better. You'd be much happier off with one of the late 60's early 70's carb though. About 630 cfm and very tunable. As far as stall you probibly need about 2400 to 2600 to get it moving better. The factory one is somewhere between 1200 to 1500 for economy.

just what kind of power can be made with a n/a 231 v6?
thanks for any responses
scott

200+ HP with lots of torque. You can get more out of one with other mods and if you look at dr_frakenstien's or Warwagons projects they do fairly well with them. Aaron can give you a better idea when he gets back on to post.

Word Charlie and all the iron it's all stock. I forgot how much the th350c's converter sucks I stall at around 850revs