Name some obscure US Produced Car Models made during the 1980s

thse two were not made in the US, not that i know of...the Challenger, if its the 1982 model, or 83, was the US badge of the Starion/Conquest from Mitsubishi, and shared engine and trans with the B series trucks...the Sprint, a Suzuki made car with 3 cyl engine lol. the father of the Suzuki Swifft/ Geo Metro

I thought the Mitsubishi Starion was re-badged as a Conquest by Chrsyler? I would love to have a Conquest TSI.

Dodge (or was it Plymouth ?) Arrow, Plymouth Sapporo, Mercury Bobcat (same as Ford Pinto) Mercury Meteor (same as Mercury Monterey)...

Claude.:)

Didn't Plymouth come out in the early 80's with a El Camino styled vehicle?

Another weird vehicle that was french and sold here was a Renualt FUEAGO. What a Hunk of crap!

Someone already said that one.
Dodge Rampage.
Dodge_Rampage.jpg

My first car was a rampage. Ugly as hell but them b!tches could take a beating. Mine got so rusty you couldn't open both doors at the same time, or they wouldn't close. Pot metal door handles broke about once every 6 months. Never could kill it though, the last owner drove it to the scrapper. There were about 200 shelby rampages made, but no rampage ever got the turbo motor.

A buddy and I found one of those eurosport vrs in the scrap yard one time. Looked like it just got there. We hooked a jumper pack to it and it fired up and ran!

Dodge made turbo caravans, with stick shifts in a few of them.

As far as the convertible dakotas and rust are concerned, they didn't rust any faster than a t top g body!

Been reading the various posts lots of unusual ones come to surface. Here are some of my comments in no particular order.

The Reatta....Buick pinned high hopes on that car.....packed alot of useless technology into it.
Back when I was selling turbo cars I did buy a one owner one...red of course which was the most popular color. Dash is very costly to fix. Had some sort of touch screen dash even to work the radio.

The 2 plus 2 Grand Prix someone mentioned was the sister car to the Monte Carlo version.
Back when I was selling turbo regals I had at least two instances where owners wanted to trade the Monte Carlo 2 plus 2 version or whatever it was called towards a turbo regal. I declined.

GM took a slow car added more weight and made it slower.....

The connection with Yugo and GM...Jays GN who many of you know worked at a GM dealership sold caddies....they had a deal back in the day buy a Caddy get a Yugo free. That is the only connection I am aware of perhaps other dealers did likewise.

I mention the Yugo from time to time in my talks....came out I think in 1986. weird thing is those cars the speedo read higher than the turbo buick which only read to 85 mph.....

I used to have some sales literature on the Yugo....interesting how they promoted their convertible Yugo...they claimed the top was easier and quicker to work than the Porsche.
Most of us realize no potential Porsche owner would even give the Yugo a glance in the real world!!!!!

The VR Celebritys.....they are rare especially the wagons been years since I have seen any of them.

I did see fairly frequently one of those all wheel drive Eagles someone posted earlier except its the station wagon version. Also near me a guy has one of those Dodge Rampage wagons plus an extra one for parts...they seem like a prime candidate for a V8....

Surprised with everyones knowledge of Buicks no one mentioned the LeSabre T Types 1987-1989 made in just 4 colors with leather being an optional interior....quick name the 4 colors????

Another one and I have owned two of these actually ASC was involved with....member the Olds Turing sedans? Think they were like 1989 models.... again only in a few colors. I had a silver one and a burgundy one....I member in the door jamb they had an ASC sticker. May even be similar to the ASC sticker they put in the GNX? Can't member though. These cars probably had every available option.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

what about that Mclaren Grand Prix, what year was that? I am thinking 1990. heads up display, lots of cool accesories for the time.

87-89 Lesabre T Types were painted: Black, White, Silver, and Red which is the color I had. I loved that car and sold it with super low miles. I will be on the hunt for another one in due time! Surprisingly those guys on their boards are saying its becoming harder to find parts for their cars as well! Damn Obama!:mad:Clunker this!

Trofeos were cool too. Stepfather had one, I drove it, red, super cool to drive and inside with all the buttons I thought I was a fighter pilot!:rolleyes: Sold to some local kid, used to see it a lot, now im sure it bit the dust! Pretty sad even the stuff you make fun of from back in the day will one day become classics. The following of FWD 3800 cars is here and I love mine! GTP and Regal GS will are awesome!

So, does the Cadillac Allante qualify? Bodies made in Italy, flown to USA for assembly.