Need help w/ exhaust gasket change

RobertM

hello im new here so if im in the wrong place im sorry.ok so i was just handed down my wonder 1987 regal t with a few minor problems.now im kinda of a newbie at repairs but i have good help on doing the passenger side exhasut gasket and my question is where can i find a how to or what bolts do i need to spray with liquid wrench to make my job a little easier to manage.and anotehr question do i need to remove the turbo or can i get away with it in place.by looking at it my first thought would be that it would have to come out.anyways thanks

i would take the turbo off! it will be much easier,not sure if it can be done without it,but i've always taken it off

i would take the turbo off! it will be much easier,not sure if it can be done without it,but i've always taken it off

yea im just worried about other gaskets i would need for that like i said im kinda a newbie but learning...which bolts i need to spray is alos my concern theres not much room for me to see

Robert,

The first time I pulled a turbo off I used this article as a guide (and it has pictures):

Precision Turbo's TE44 - Install - GM High-Tech Performance

Once the turbo is off the header comes off very easy. As far as gaskets, you should need a turbo to header three bolt turbo gasket and a header gasket, available from our vendors. You will also need a turbo drain line gasket if you pull the turbo all the way off. I am sure if I am missing any someone will chime in.

If you are noticing an exhaust leak it is probably from a cracked header, which our cars are prone too. When you have the header off, make sure to check for cracks and have them welded if needed.

Pulling both the header and turbo off are not that bad of job. A 15mm flex-head GearWrench makes very quick work of the three turbo to header bolts. It also makes it easier when you put the turbo drain line back on if you replace the bolts with studs in the turbo. They are M8x1.25" I believe.

Hope this helps,

Rob

thanks that helps alot..my dad had a cracked header and had it welded long ago he is saying its the exhaust gasket so im just going to do it and hope for the best.im tring to do as little turbo moving as possible so.hopefully no oil line removal needed(assuming theres an oil line there havent cracked the turbo sheild off yet)1st turbo car ive ever had so im doing my best...now by header gasket u mean the exhaust gasket itself right..becasue i have that aready ill just need that turbo to header gasket

thanks that helps alot..my dad had a cracked header and had it welded long ago he is saying its the exhaust gasket so im just going to do it and hope for the best.im trieng to do as little turbo moving as possible so.hopefully no oil line removal needed(assuming theres an oil line there havent cracked the turbo sheild off yet)1st turbo car ive ever had so im doing my best

The headers can crack again or in a different place. Check it over good since you will have it off anyways - will save you from pulling it off again if it is still leaking after you put a new gasket on it. Also, pulling the turbo drain line is very simple, and won't add much effort or time to the project, especially if you put the studs in. If you get the studs (highly recommended) don't forget to buy a few nuts/washers for them.

Also, make sure you zip-tie all the vacuum lines when you put them back on the turbo.

Rob.

yea look like i need to call kirban up agian..hopefully they will have it in stock...still waiting on accumaltor bowl. as far as the studs i can pick those up anywhere right?

yea look like i need to call kirban up agian..hopefully they will have it in stock...still waiting on accumaltor bowl. as far as the studs i can pick those up anywhere right?

You should be able to pick them up up a local bolt or hardware store. I think I got mine through a local Fastenal store (Locations | Fastenal).

ok found both turbo gaskets @ full trottle are they anygood? im buying online so i like to make sure. the 3 bolt is copper which is weird

ok found both turbo gaskets @ full trottle are they anygood? im buying online so i like to make sure. the 3 bolt is copper which is weird

Full Throttle Speed (FTS) is good. You want the copper three bolt gasket for the turbo to header. You also may want to talk to either FTS or TurboTweak (TurboTweak Home) about getting a modern chip for your car if it doesn't have one.

Use the search feature and you will learn a lot.

k cool thanks yea there are alot of chips that my dad has in the glove box but i think there all early 90's not to sure....we dont even know which chip is in it now...what really sucks is im doing this gasket this weekend and those gaskets wont be here in time...so im kinda like crap may have to leave them loose until they get here