Need some 327 Chevy help....

1QUICK85

Big Old Turbo Turd!!
Ok, not sure where to put this and I reallly don't belong to another GM board that I would trust information off of...... :cool:

My uncle has a '85 Firebird(org. 305 car) with a 1967 Corvette 327 motor installed by previous owner. The problem he is having is everytime he gets on it the damn alternator/water pump belt flys off(V-belt setup). So, it looks like the alternator mount was home made by the previous guy. The 327 has the double hump heads (I think thats what they are called) and those heads don't have any holes in the passenger side head for the alternator to be mounted to it.
The previous owner must have used the accessaries off the orginal 305 and just homemade the mount for the alternator, but it doesn't line up worth a crap. He has tried a ton of different belts too, without any luck.
Is there a serpentine system he could go to somehow? Or a different V-belt setup that would work better? It seems like with those heads his options for a serpentine system are probably out....

TIA, Nick.

Yes the driver side has holes. I was thinking maybe he could just get a used serpentine system off a 3rd Gen Camaro/Firebird, but I think these heads won't let him?

Ok, not sure where to put this and I reallly don't belong to another GM board that I would trust information off of...... :cool:

My uncle has a '85 Firebird(org. 305 car) with a 1967 Corvette 327 motor installed by previous owner. The problem he is having is everytime he gets on it the damn alternator/water pump belt flys off(V-belt setup). So, it looks like the alternator mount was home made by the previous guy. The 327 has the double hump heads (I think thats what they are called) and those heads don't have any holes in the passenger side head for the alternator to be mounted to it.
The previous owner must have used the accessaries off the orginal 305 and just homemade the mount for the alternator, but it doesn't line up worth a crap. He has tried a ton of different belts too, without any luck.
Is there a serpentine system he could go to somehow? Or a different V-belt setup that would work better? It seems like with those heads his options for a serpentine system are probably out....

TIA, Nick.

Those heads did not have any holes.The heads can be drilled but makes them worthless.Zoops and March both make setups for that engine.

Is there any options he has on the cheaper side.....probably a stretch but around $100 -$150?

Is there any options he has on the cheaper side.....probably a stretch but around $100 -$150?

Look in hemminings classifieds.Lots of people swapping out stock for the retro look.I will ask my buddy at work tomorrow and see if has any parts left . check out Jegs. I was just on there and they have a low mount bracket for29.99.Its under alternator and parts

I had a factory bracket that comes off the header for my old "no hloe heads' then I got another set of fuelly heads with bolt holes and lost that bracket years ago,it bolts to the header and is real long,im guessing your issue is with the waterpump,they have a long nose and a short nose pump and brackets that go with both,make sure your all your brackets are made for the pump you have on the motor and then check ebay for that bracket..

And MANY people drill out the heads,it dont hurt the value? you just have to be carefull not to drill too far...

Here is the bracket that goes to the header and gets support with the water pump bolts..but for some reason I thought I had spacers for the headers on mine?
eBay Motors: New,CHROME SBC,SWP alternator brackets,rat rod,short WP (item 130261656110 end time Oct-19-08 16:22:54 PDT)

Thanks guys I will have to run these options by him. I don't have the car locally to look at, but I know his upper mount in like the one in the Ebay add and the lower mount on the car now is homemade and goes to the water pump. So, looks like that header mount would really help. I just gotta figure out which water pump he has.