New GM LSX-based V6 due in 2012!

cstavro

I wasn't sure where to put this. I think this is more than just a rumour. It is to be called LV3. It will definitely have aluminum heads, and likely cast iron block. I'd love to see a 60° V, but it will likely be 90° with a balance shaft. I'm guessing it will have 280+ hp and 275 lb-ft stock. It has the potential to make 400+ bhp n/a and rev to 7500 rpm with the right combo. It will have direct injection, coil near plug, variable valve timing, and light weight components. It will have a raised cam (56mm diameter) and bed plate (instead of individual main caps). The high value V6 had forged cranks, and I expect the LV3 to have it as well. It's a seriously stout engine!

I quickly designed a series III 'Stage II' head yesterday. I can machine it from billet, and possibly cast and sell at a very reasonable price for a limited niche. However, I'm disliking the Buick motor more and more as I learn about it. I never liked the head bolt pattern, and its short comings, and how it negatively impacts the exhaust port. I want to duplicate the Stage II exhaust, and I'm having a challenge getting blue prints. My head would require custom heads, rockers, rocker covers and headers...it gets expensive quick. An LSX based V6 would be cheaper by far, and benefit from decades of design evolution - it's the way I'd want a V6. I believe that the LV3 will satisfy people up to 800 hp and put GN aftermarket heads out of business - GM is leaving very little on the table with the Gen V.

stage 2 intake iso.jpgstage 2 iso.jpg

Who would pick up a $4000 V6 crate engine if it were like this?

pick up a USED v8 for the price of a brand new direct injected, variable valve timed v6 with a warranty? it's a stouter package, that'll make more power with bolt ons, and cost ~25% less to upgrade than a v8...and it's still 100 lb lighter than a v8. then imagine picking up a used v6 for even less.

I am confused, who is building the block?
This is the first I have heard of this.

it's allegedly the new GM truck base engine. it's replacing the vortec 4300. imo the LS1 head is junk. the gen V head will eclipse the LS7 in efficiency...and they're making a v6 version :D allegedly...

"and put GN aftermarket heads out of business "

So, how does this put the aftermkt Buick heads out of business??

I don't mean the LV3 heads will bolt on to series I blocks. Stage II performance at an OEM price.

It's not just about outright power. Imagine 600+ bhp with 1 bar of boost, with smaller turbos, very little lag and dead stock idle. Go fast with class! The series III is a nice upgrade from the 3.8, and the LV3 is a HUGE step up from the series III. I understand it may take 3-4 years before they appear as retrofits...but I believe it will happen.

i expect V6 heads to have 2" intake valves and flow about 280 cfm @ 0.550" as cast - for around $600 a pair (not including sidi). GN1 are $1600/pair and flow ~230. Even series III ported heads top out around 230 cfm, and they're limited by other stock parts, and lack of custom (and expensive) parts. The LV3 will have state of the art airflow and combustion technology, cooling, materials/processes and engine design. Just going from the 3800's small base circle cam to a 56-60 mm cam will allow much more aggressive cams with better valvetrain stability, plus all the race bits.

A new pcm can also control the 6L80. Suitably beefed up, it has really nice gear spread to take on the quarter mile, have better cruising ability, better mileage and smoother shifts.

By the time Obama gets through with it, it'll make 250 squirrel power and have exhaust ports the size of your pinky toe. I don't have much faith in them right now...

A little late...

99.6 x 92 mm
4,300 cc
285 bhp @ 5300
305 lb-ft @ 3900
All aluminum
Cross-bolted 6 bolt mains
49 mm x 39.6 mm valves
VVT
GDI
AFM
Balance shaft
More powerful EMS

I was wrong on the cast iron block and bed plate. Still one heck of a solid motor. Still shares the oiling issues with the gen 3/4 LSX :/

Lingenfelter states they flow 251 cfm @ 0.600" as cast...with the strangest curve. And 206 cfm on the exhaust - 80% Exh/Int ratio.
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11866433
LT1 are seeing a 15% gain after porting, so l'd expect 280+ cfm with the V6.

The V6 was the focus of the six million hours of simulation. It shares valve size and port shape with the 5.3. Technically, it should work slightly better than either V8.

After reading the GM SAE paper, they don't say whether it simply has "significantly reduced knock potential" than the gen 3/4 V8...or if it doesn't knock at all (aka "soft head"). fwiw, Yamaha 5 valve heads won't knock - they just lose power as you advance spark past MBT. The combustion system places an optimal fuel/air mixture at the plug, regardless of rpm or load. This reduces misfires, reduces N&V, increases fuel economy, reduces emissions, as well as increase power. The LT1 makes 7% more power than the LS3, but with "less" flow, and a smaller cam.

Things will get ridiculous.