New Grand National - Help with a setup

Pronto, That makes sense, thanks for the clarification. Nascar83Fan, I bet that is really funny! A link to that build would be pretty cool, maybe I can find it.

Haha thanks Earl, I never really thought about it like that but that does make sense. In that case, I think I may just leave it alone until the time comes that I need to mess with it!

I'll tell you what will dress it up. Call RJC racing and order a powerplate and a couple plenum gaskets. While you're waiting on that, find you a can of wrinkle finish black and a sanding disk that goes into a drill motor.

When the tracking shows it's close, get some beer, pull the plenum and throttlebody. Hand lap the bottom of them plenum so it's flat (carefully chip out all the coal in the EGR tower wondering how in the hell it got there in the first place) the paint the hell out of the plenum. More coats the better.

Then drink more beer. Much more beer. After the paints cured and you come to, run the sanding disk across the fins leaving a cool squirly machined/polished look.

It might make the rest of your engine compartment look like crap, but it'll be fun and you can get rid of a bunch of pesky beers that pile up around the house.

44335d1265506375-day-life-earl-im002587.jpg

Ha! I like it! "Pesky Beers" always getting in the way these days. Lol

I really like the look of that paint on the plenum!, is that your motor? It looks extremely clean!

Earl, very interesting read. I like the way the motor looks though, valve covers nicely compliment the plenum!

Sage advice from Earl. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Some of the parts on these cars now are not available. Some stuff is OK used, some will make you want to slit your wrists. My rule of thumb is research prices, make a budget and then double it. No matter what you touch you will be spending more time and money on fixing it or something else that's connected to it than you intended to.

Wait no beer earl:hungover: he's only 19 your gonna get us in trouble:smuggrin:

hahaha ooops :LOL::p

Sounds like a plan Pronto, thanks for the advice. That seems to be the general consensus that I am getting.

Cam

I found the thread with the Project Rusty Silver Bullet build up.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...-rusty-silver-bullet-seeking-10s-asap.400319/
That may give you some ideas of how to go to hit 11's with a build on your GN, was alot of info in this thread that could help see the potential. They showed what they started out with and after making changes, so you could see how much they gained with the individual changes.
A very thorough and detailed reading that would be a decent guide.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Thanks Nascar83Fan, appreciate the threat link! I will check it out as soon as I can.

Thanks Nascar83Fan, appreciate the threat link! I will check it out as soon as I can.
You're welcome, keep in mind they resurrected an extremely abused completely stock TR that needed a major amount of TLC and getting things in proper order were able to hit some amazing goals with it.

I'll tell you what will dress it up. Call RJC racing and order a powerplate and a couple plenum gaskets. While you're waiting on that, find you a can of wrinkle finish black and a sanding disk that goes into a drill motor.

When the tracking shows it's close, get some beer, pull the plenum and throttlebody. Hand lap the bottom of them plenum so it's flat (carefully chip out all the coal in the EGR tower wondering how in the hell it got there in the first place) the paint the hell out of the plenum. More coats the better.

Then drink more beer. Much more beer. After the paints cured and you come to, run the sanding disk across the fins leaving a cool squirly machined/polished look.

It might make the rest of your engine compartment look like crap, but it'll be fun and you can get rid of a bunch of pesky beers that pile up around the house.

Earl, you're Jimmy M.'s twin brother on syty.net. Some good knowledge and good pointers on the beer, That's Jimmy all the way! I'll have some now.:)

Hey guys,

I got a bunch of stuff to update you all on, my dad and I were in need of something to do this weekend so we did a lot of testing and started diving into the GN to see what condition the motor was in... here is what we did and found:
** I will post a bunch of pictures after this of the car and various pictures of some of the components.**

1. I pulled the plugs and took the plug wires off, they are old and in need of replacing.
The Sparkplugs didn't look to bad, they had a little oil on them but it didn't seem to be anything to major.
I will post a picture of them below.

2. While I was in there I went ahead and pulled the valve cover pans, the passenger side proved to be a little bit of fun but I got it. They were in pretty rough condition, the chrome was chipping off of them badly. I went ahead and gave them a good coat of black paint after scrubbing them down, they look pretty decent, good enough for me at least.

3. I removed the plenum as well, I think it could benefit from a good coat of black paint but it didn't look to bad, the inside was relatively clean compared to some of the others I have seen in videos. None the less I scraped it down and cleaned it out.

4. While we had the plugs out we went ahead and did a compression test on the cylinders, all of them but one were showing 150psi the other one was showing 125psi. We were thinking a burnt valve could be the cause.

5. We did an air test as well, we put compressed air into the cylinder and we could hear a good bit of air going into the intake like the valves were not seating properly. All of the cylinders had this occur but the 2 on the very front of the motor. I would expect some air to escape into the oil pan but it was clearly going into the intake, a sound change was easily observed by opening the throttle body up.
I could take a screw driver and push down on the valve springs pretty easily, they seem to be very very weak.

6. I also tested the fuel pressure at idle before tearing part of the motor down: it was at 30psi. ( Would this be average or below? )

- With that being said I believe a new set of valve springs is in order:
I was thinking about getting the "Comp Cams 980-12's". I have heard good things about them and I wanted to get your guys opinion on that before ordering them. They are not to expensive and I figured they would be a good worth while upgrade.

Also do you guys know where I could find a super cheap shaft valve spring removal tool?

We are leaning towards pulling off the heads for valve work, if we do that we won't need the tool, we have one that will work with the heads off.

** The Scanmaster and knock gauge should be arriving today or tom so hopefully I can get that installed this weekend.

Since I would already be ordering new gaskets and springs I figured this would be a good time to pick up a few other things:
- Power Plate for the intake ( Is this needed or worth it? )
- Possibly fuel Injectors, they are old and are just the stock injectors. ( Any recommendations on these? )
- Transmission Filter and Pan Gasket
- Plenum and valve cover pan gaskets
- Fuel pressure gauge to mount in the car.
- Possibly Fuel pump, (any recommendations here?)
- Spark Plugs and plug wires ( any recommendations on these?)
- New Heads? ( You guys feel they are needed? Maybe the GN1 Performance Heads? )

Does anyone have any other recommended parts they would go ahead and pick up with the motor down this far?

Thanks,
Cam

20140711_092153.jpg 20140713_141239.jpg 20140713_141247.jpg 20140713_141445.jpg 20140713_155853.jpg 20140713_163915.jpg 20140713_231356.jpg 20140713_231550.jpg 20140713_231820.jpg 20140711_092153.jpg 20140713_141239.jpg 20140713_141247.jpg 20140713_141445.jpg 20140713_155853.jpg 20140713_163915.jpg 20140713_231356.jpg 20140713_231550.jpg 20140713_231820.jpg

I also posted a picture of the hood that will be repainted soon, it is clearly the worst looking piece of the whole car.