New hotair intakes underway!

For performance reasons we have eliminated the egr. The hole is welded up, but the egr could still be bolted on. If someone wants to run the egr, we could just leave the hole in the mounting flange, and allow you to select a location in the intake to drill and tap a port to re-introduce the exhaust gas from the egr.

There is plenty of room on the side of the doghouse (passenger), or other areas, but we have found that introducing the hot exhaust gas hurts performance, and have had several Syclone and Typhoon app's pass emissions testing with egr block off plates.

The truth of the matter is that these cars are rare enough that 99.9% of those doing a visual for the emissions test would never notice the missing egr. Just bolting one on, and running the tube back behind the turbo would cover the rest who would actually notice.

We have tried to accomodate every possible issue, and felt the egr was truly a non-issue. If use of the egr is of dire importance to anyone this kit may not be the right choice for them. Not that we want to exclude anyone, but with all the other issues we had before us, the egr was the least of our concern. That being said, if you are truly interested in the kit and "must have" a functioning egr, I am sure we could accomodate for an extra charge.

Not trying to be a smart a$$ here....we just thought most people wouldn't care.

I have run my Typhoon without one for two years now, and never even gotten a check engine light.

BTW, HOTSIX, judging from your sig. I don't think your are passing smog checks anyway:D

EGR

BTW, HOTSIX, judging from your sig. I don't think your are passing smog checks anyway

HAHAHA - ya - thats a fair statement.

Actually - I did pass (before ultrachip). We have to pass here in order to get out validation (roadworthy) sticker on our plate.
I'm pretty sure I wont have to next year - cause anything after 20 yrs old doesnt have to - how dumb is that.

Thats the reason I was askin anyway.

Met up with a guy today that may have a small supply of stock intercoolers and plenums...Will be meeting him on Saturday to discuss possibilities. So if you are interested in a kit, I may be able to hook you up with him and save the shipping costs...he's not far from the shop.

Also, if there is any interest in having Tb's bored to larger size, that may be an option as well.

IC and plenum

That sounds good to me.

I got a line already on an intake - plus if the price was right on the IC's and plenums that would be great.
Any idea how much ?

Typhoon - Sent you a PM

if the price was right on the IC's and plenums that would be great.

Won't know for certain till Saturday when we meet up with the guy. I'll make sure to post when we find somethingout.

86/87 Mount, any year IAC itself

Although I am thinking this morning (not a morning person BTW) they might be the same.

I know we just need the mount on the TB, as I used my 84 IAC in the 86 mount.

Picture link

Jeff, take some close up pictures of the mounted IAC and throttle cable on your car so we can see details please. Also take some pictures of the heater hoses, thermostat housing and pcv valve,
thanks Roger

Re: Picture link

Originally posted by Mr.Buick
Jeff, take some close up pictures of the mounted IAC and throttle cable on your car so we can see details please. Also take some pictures of the heater hoses, thermostat housing and pcv valve,
thanks Roger

Throttle cable is just as it is on an 86/87. I will get pics though.

Heater hoses are stock 84 layout, nothing changed.
Thermostat housing, only change is to block the old small tube, redirect into front of intake, pics soon.

PCV can still go in back as stock. On your intake I left it blocked for you to mock your turbo up first for placement. I screwed up on mine and it is located almost directly under the pipe so I had to do some odd things not worthy of a picture. (thats what prototypes are for)

Heater hoses are stock 84 layout, nothing changed.

The tube on the T-stat housing has to be cut off and plugged...I recommend JB weld, we welded ours and had to mill it to stop leaks.

The hose that attached to that tube went to an outlet on the water pump, which we attached to the port on the front of the intake if I'm not mistaken. The port had been used for a temp sensor, but that has been moved to a bung on the intake next to the other temp sensor...Mr Buick yours has been drilled and tapped for that sensor. hopefully Jeff will be able to clarify...the car is 100 miles away from me right now.

The throttle cable is 86-87 vintage and mounts just like stock...no changes whatsoever.

Once we get the next test car together we will have clear cut instructions and hopefully illustrations.

Sorry for any confusion.

Originally posted by typhoon
86/87 Mount, any year IAC itself

Although I am thinking this morning (not a morning person BTW) they might be the same.

I know we just need the mount on the TB, as I used my 84 IAC in the 86 mount.

To be safe run an 86 iac mount with 86 iac

84/85 with 84 iac

I have a 1984 'Hotair' Regal and have been following the development of your intake very closely. I'll admit that I was disappointed to learn that I'll have to use a bunch of '86/'87 parts to make this work but it's encouraging to know that there are plans to provide instructions to go along with your product.

You guys deserve a big pat on the back for taking on this project and I think hotair Buick owners everywhere owe you a debt of gratitude. I'm excited about the potential power increases with this redesigned intake of yours and plan to buy it. But only if I can keep the local smog police happy.

Unfortunately, I live in a metro area which is governed by the state DEQ so my car is subject to emissions certification. According to the rules in my state, the emissions test is considered invalid if the EGR is "...disconnected, plugged, or otherwise made innoperative..." In other words, it has to at least be on the engine if I want to use your revised intake.

If it's true that emissions are not negatively affected by omitting the EGR then I feel better about buying your intake. Obviously, in my case, that means I'll need a perch to mount it. More importantly, and unfortunately for you guys, I'll also need some proof that emissions won't get worse. I suspect many other potential customers are in the same boat.

You've already stated that there's no problem with this and I believe you but I and probably a lot of other people would appreciate it if you could back it up in some way.

Would it be possible to find out if one of the prototype cars or one of your first customers can pass a local smog test with your new intake sans EGR?

I apologize for throwing another fly in the ointment but unfortunately, air pollution rules are a fact of city life and I can't ignore them if I want to drive my car on the street.

Thanks for all your time, toiling and assitance.

Nick

There is no way we could put in writing or back up the claim removing EGR is not going to affect emissions. Obviously GM put it on to help.

The question is, will it affect it enough to NOT let you pass the local test. I doubt it.

My car actually needs to go get tested soon, well last week. Just waiting to get the tune dialed in.

I should also mention so no suprises here.

As this is heating up, I have been offered a job in Arizona, leaving me with an 1800 mile move in the coming month or two.

So things will most likely be put on hold during that time.

Mike and I will do the best we can to provide that transfer is smooth. It will affect the production for a few months for sure though.

Moving?

Jeff - will you be able to get some orders done before you leave ?

What kind of turnaround can I expect if I get my parts to you next week ?
Should we wait until you return before sending you anything ?

I dont want to see this project fizzle out now that it has come to fruition and I have a chance to buy one.

The plan is to run as many kits as possible before the move. Once Jeff has relocated, he can continue to run them on his own...I can't go to Arizona every weekend to work on these damn things.:D

He will continue to run JSmanufacturing, so the parts and kits will still be available.

AS for the EGR, it can be run with the kit, it just requires adding a new tube from the solenoid to a drilled and tapped port somewhere on the intake...the stock perch can just be left as is...We have been welding them up, but if you have to run one its your choice.

Any more pics / video

You guys have any more pics or video for us to salivate at?

I wanna see a video with the IC kit installed and running....just to tide me over until I get mine.

Plus that smoky burnout
;)

Tonight we will get some new footage for you. It has stopped raining, hopefully it will stay that way.

I will NOT be moving now, so no delay's.

Mike and I are working on some intakes right now, internet in the garage is good for distracting me from work. :D :D :D

Well,

It got dark before we could get any video footage tonight. But, we got quite a bit of work done on the intakes, we have two units about 3 hours from completion.

I promised my stepdaughter I would meet her and her new boyfriend at the local dragstrip next Test and Tune. And I was thinking if there was interest and people wanted to show up I could probably persuade Jeff to make the trip up here to show off the installed kit. I am thinking I may even be able to convince him to get tuning so we can run the thing on 15 psi for a track run or two. No promises there, but he did say if a few of you were to show up, he'd likely bring the car.

Edgewater Raceway, Cincinnati. Saturday Test and tune on the 6th noon-5pm. link here

If there are people willing to show, I think Jeff will come, any possibly race.

BTW, those of you that are nearby, you could save the cost of shipping by meeting us there with your parts.

Intercooler

Jeff, when you mounted the intercooler did you reverse direction of inlet and outlet? or just turn the intercooler around. Don't forget to ship the plenum, I need it soon. thanks Mr. Buick