New TA-53 bites the dust!

DR. EVIL

THE DARKSIDE
Well I have yet to take off the downpipe to confirm it, but I'm 99% sure my new TA-53 has suffered the same fate as my last TA-51 turbo did.

I was having strange problems that seemed like it could have been a vacuum leak or exhaust leak causing boost issues... but now it just started oil smoking at idle (but not during boost) like my TA-51 did after it got off balance and blew the seal.
I'll know when I take off the downpipe, I'll have to check the fins for a chip or bending and shaft wobble.

Wow, this turbo almost lasted a whole year! :rolleyes:

prolly 15,000 miles or something, not much. It's been less than a year I'm sure. Ran it one night at the track I think.

Its my second PTE turbo, 0 for 2 on them so far :( If it wasn't for bad luck, I swear I wouldn't have any luck at all

John, how much more lag was there with the 54 over the 52, and how much more hp?

This isn't a trailer queen car, even though it usually looks like one ;) I drive it everyday. I use synthetic oil and change it after 3 or 4 thousand miles (don't have to that often with synthetic, but I usually do anyways. I don't have any different oil lines or anything.

I haven't looked at the turbo yet, but if its the same thing as last time, a fin on the exhaust side chipped off at the tip and it got off balance, then the other fins started hitting the inside of the exhaust housing and eventually the seal blew out and started leakin oil.

I had a TA-51 new from PTE and it did that, so I sent it to them, they told me it was a manufacturer defect and said they'd fix it so I opted to upgrade to a TA-53 for like an extra $50 or something with new internals. So this isn't a second hand turbo.

Sorry, didn't notice there was a turbo section now! lol

okay heres the pics.

Turbo after and before pics

It started acting funny and making that noise, and then started blowing oil smoke. I guess it got out of wack and started hitting the insides of the exhaust housing.

FWIW, my 51 lasted less then a year (about 6k miles). The exhaust wheel melted. I set in back to PTE and got a rebuild because it was our of warranty. I have them upgrade it to a 53. The 53 lasted about 20 miles. The exauhst wheel exploded at 22psi. No more 50 series for me thanks. I went to a 64.

WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH AFTERMARKET TURBOS??

ONCE AGAIN, an aftermarket unit bites the dust!!

How does the stocker last so long, with aftermarket turbos RARELY lasting one-tenth as long?

Many people definitely recommend a BOV when upgrading to a larger turbo, and it seems like very cheap insurance to do so.

It's not the BOV.....it is the supplier....be it parts or manuf. I like my Limit Engineering 70. How many from John Craig do you see failing? Quality units!

I wanted to buy a ta52-53 , if its not going to last 50K I dont want it, I bet there warranty sucks also.

What would be an equivalent to a ta52-53 from Limit Engineering.

I had a BOV on my new turbo for its whole life!

I don't know what turbo I can go to thats not a 50 series that is good for 600hp or so that I can use with my 42.5lb injectors and my 3300 stall converter....

I haven't sent it back to PTE yet, so hopefully they'll help me out here again....

any ideas on a different turbo to try?

Send it to John Craig and have him fix it. I had one from PTE with less than 200 miles on it and the thrust bearing went out. PTE would not warantee it. :mad: