New timing cover

Just like those eagle or scat cranks . They are casted overseas and finished here in the states.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

We actually were talking about the problems first. He's well aware of the issues as he's had to eat many of them over the years. He had to have a go/no-go gauge built (and pay someone to use them) to inspect the things to see if the dist/cam sensor would drop down and engage the pump shaft. He advised me that the quality control is so poor on those things (which we already know) that its to the point they will inspect them before taking possession and he's sent entire crates back to China without buying them.
That's why he's interested in what I'm thinking about reproducing. The original meeting was to talk about cost effective Buick V6 torque plates and the forged pistons that I'm making.

I think I can overcome a simple drive, if I can cast and machine a cover. Personally I'm happy with the stock setup They work just fine if you know what you're doing.

We actually were talking about the problems first. He's well aware of the issues as he's had to eat many of them over the years. He had to have a go/no-go gauge built (and pay someone to use them) to inspect the things to see if the dist/cam sensor would drop down and engage the pump shaft. He advised me that the quality control is so poor on those things (which we already know) that its to the point they will inspect them before taking possession and he's sent entire crates back to China without buying them.
That's why he's interested in what I'm thinking about reproducing. The original meeting was to talk about cost effective Buick V6 torque plates and the forged pistons that I'm making.

I think I can overcome a simple drive, if I can cast and machine a cover. Personally I'm happy with the stock setup They work just fine if you know what you're doing.

That's what he is supposed to do. send the rejects back . You.don't know how many bad ones gm had to reject . Unless you know who did there inspections for quality control.

So you make pistons and torque plates to. That's kewl more parts to keep the pos's alive :) I need a set of .030 overs for a iron headed bullet I'm building . how much ?

All I know is that my oil pressure has gone up after only reading this entire thread.

So you mean to tell me that "close enough" doesn't quite get it then?
And there can be possible repercussions?

Attachments

• CLOSE ENOUGH.jpg
    CLOSE ENOUGH.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 174
How does SloGN asking me what I do when I modify covers have anything t0 do with the OPs original question?
I guess he was simply asking what you do to them, why don't you ask him?

How does him dropping names of other builders and vendors help the OP with his original problem?
It helps him and others know that the silverseal covers will work just fine while you and others were saying they wouldn't!!

And how does SloGN's curisoty of what I'm going to do when the NOS supply of GM covers runs out?
Again why not ask him yourself?

Don't you schmucks worry about me. I'll be just fine. Why don't we worry about the OPs original problem and try and help him get back on the road. From what I understand this car is his DD.
Us schmucks are not worrying about you at all, we will be actually helping the OP ( Danny) as soon as he calls one of us back rather than push a $400+ front cover since he already stated he didn't have much money..We will be doing his front cover for "Nothing" lets see you do this to help him out!

Don't you have some parts to drop ship?
Shipped out over $6k in suspension orders today! ;)

earlbrown said:
Don't you have some parts to drop ship?​
Shipped out over $6k in suspension orders today! ;)

Meooooww...catfight!!!!
Ladies, ladies....:D

Group hug now...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• HARDHEADED - 2.jpg
    HARDHEADED - 2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 165
  • HOW THE LADIES FIGHT - IN FRONT OF A VOLCANO THOUGH.jpg
    HOW THE LADIES FIGHT - IN FRONT OF A VOLCANO THOUGH.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 167
  • HUG - 1.jpg
    HUG - 1.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 167
Thanks for all the help guys! I just finished replacing the oil pan gasket and the timing cover, water pump and gaskets to go with it! Appreciate all you guys that offered me assistance. I should be on the road in no time...yet again Michigan weather probably won't agree with that

I believe when you removed the timing cover you might of have not mark the cam sensor plug location angle pointed around 4:00pm, or didn't set the cylinder #1 to compression stroke.
It is important that the crank is on Top Dead Center and then 25 degrees past TDC. Remember that the cam turns at half the speed of the crankshaft and merely turning the crank until the point lines up with the pointer only assures you a 50% chance of being correctly on the 25 deg TDC mark. TDC is found when the notch on the balancer lines up with the timing pointer on the cover and both valves on cylinder # 1 are closed (Number 1 plug is the front plug on the drivers side). In order to not have to pull the valve cover, remove the spark plug and start turning the crank clockwise until I feel a puff of air come out the plug hole. This will be the compression stroke and I then continue turning the crank until I reach the 25 ATDC point. If you don't get this right, you will not like the way it runs as it will be spraying fuel 180 degs out of phase.
The photo shows the original factory TDC marking to the new TDC marking, and I also painted it white with clear coat over the painted marks.
Read both of these site and it will explain more of what I'm talking about.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/help-setting-cam-sensor.323710/
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/cam_sensor.htm

Attachments

• Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 142
I believe when you removed the timing cover you might of have not mark the cam sensor plug location angle pointed around 4:eek:opm, or didn't set the cylinder #1 to compression stroke.
It is important that the crank is on Top Dead Center and then 25 degrees past TDC. Remember that the cam turns at half the speed of the crankshaft and merely turning the crank until the point lines up with the pointer only assures you a 50% chance of being correctly on the 25 deg TDC mark. TDC is found when the notch on the balancer lines up with the timing pointer on the cover and both valves on cylinder # 1 are closed (Number 1 plug is the front plug on the drivers side). In order to not have to pull the valve cover, remove the spark plug and start turning the crank clockwise until I feel a puff of air come out the plug hole. This will be the compression stroke and I then continue turning the crank until I reach the 25 ATDC point. If you don't get this right, you will not like the way it runs as it will be spraying fuel 180 degs out of phase.
The photo shows the original factory TDC marking to the new TDC marking, and I also painted it white with clear coat over the painted marks.
Read both of these site and it will explain more of what I'm talking about.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/help-setting-cam-sensor.323710/
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/cam_sensor.htm

Thanks for posting it. He is gonna call me this evening and I was gonna walk him thru it over the phone. Cause I was too lazy to type all that out ....

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app