New timing cover

Seriously...it's not GM...wooooow. Well I have no more cash and if I did, I certainly would try to avoid this money-sucking machine. I have to use my recourse for this one.. I'm a lucky one

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Can anyone toss some advice over my way or maybe proper instructions on how to replace this the proper way(I can turn a wrench pretty much) I want to do this one time and never want to think about it again. Any help or input is greatly appreciated

Seriously...it's not GM...wooooow. Well I have no more cash and if I did, I certainly would try to avoid this money-sucking machine. I have to use my recourse for this one.. I'm a lucky one

My bad. I misunderstood your first post.

I'll keep my experience to myself so it won't seem so harsh. Unless, of course, it's positive.

lol what does that mean earl... i wasnt trying to insult you if thats what your trying to say..

how is this a disaster waiting to happen? and if so.. why dont you offer me some help now that your on this thread on how to avoid this "disaster" you think will happen...

Actually I meant to open it up and look at the condition to see if it's scrap metal. With a used cover you never know if any (or how much) debris has went through the pump and scored it up.

....the one you pictured doesn't even need to be opened up to know it's sub standard. The above pictured unit is a chinese copy of a GM cover. Personally I would run a genuine GM cover that I found at the bottom of a lake before I would even consider running a brand new chinese unit.

regardless if this cover is GM or not.. i want to know if it will work and hold up as it should. You have me worried that shit will start falling off and leak everywhere. so if this cover is actually "scrap metal" what should i get instead? from where? and how much? (im on a very very tight budget?)

The spur gears sit in machined pockets. One drives, one is driven.You will see them when you take the pump apart. Side clearance between the spur gears and the housing, plus the clearance of the cover, usually controlled by the thickness of the gasket, (most are too thick) determine how well the pump will function.

Jay J

The spur gears sit in machined pockets. One drives, one is driven.You will see them when you take the pump apart. Side clearance between the spur gears and the housing, plus the clearance of the cover, usually controlled by the thickness of the gasket, (most are too thick) determine how well the pump will function.

Jay J

so how can I check this or figure out how well my pump will function?

Here is the rest--scored or loose fitting gears, housing/and or excessive cover clearance will leave your engine starved for oil pressure. You can buy a brand new OEM cover for big bucks, or find a rebuilt one on this board. IMO, you should do one or the other and avoid the mishaps that others have had.

so i should not use the cover I originally bought....:/
damn thats just money right down the drain...

Ok - dont take this the wrong way - but - if you don't know what u r doing with the oil pump - dont mess with it. I offered my advise at the beginning of this thread. the oil pump on ur motor is like ur heart in ur body - if it aint right its gonna cost you. I have owned my gn for 13 years and i wont mess with setting up the oil pump. i have one of earls - thats why i recommended him. yeah its a lil money for it - but i wont/dont have to worry bout my oiling system. but its ur car and ur cash going into these very expensive cars to maintain. if you dont do it right the first time - you can bet your gonna spend alot more down the road on same problem, maybe on a complete engine rebuild. ask me how i know this. Good luck with it.

Exactly and I agree with that.. But I asked for someone to show me how to do this the right way. If someone properly tells me how to do so..and I follow through and properly install and prime it..then I should be fine. That's wht you guys are on this thread for, to help me out right? I understand that I can't f#%* alot of things up on this motor from something so small and simple. That's why I'm asking for advice from the guys that have been down this road before.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app