New Weber Built Long Block Leaks Oil

the comeitic has all the holes for pan dimples
not issue with girdle but with studs on stock mains the cometic needs a little triming at the rear main nuts

wmerrell said:
Heard back from Weber, they are blaming the irregularities in the RJC oil pan.

Figures. I know another guy that had a Weber engine leak from a lot more places than just the pan fresh out of the crate. I'm not impressed with the work I've seen come out of that shop and service after the sale seems the same too in this instance.

This is what I'm hearing a lot of bad stuff about weber that's why I sent mine to Chris Hogeland at twisted 6 racing:)

Oh, so I guess they didn't check it before they put it on. Wonder what else they didn't check? Oh well...you'll find out.

I'd be checking the main and rod bolt/stud torque at a minimum, as well as the head bolts/studs. Oil pressure will tell you if the clearances are right but by then it's too late anyway.

The TA 20 bolt cork gasket is part # TAV1700-231B. The RJC pan will sometimes hit the rear main stud nuts without a girdle, and needs to be dimpled. Also, in the girdle instructions there is a measurement for the passenger side main stud. It should not protrude more than .125 past the girdle when installed because the pan can hit the stud. None of this stuff just bolts on.

None of this stuff just bolts on.
One thing I've learned over the 11 years of TB ownership is the second you put anything other than a stock part on you better check everything. Sometimes you get lucky, most of the time something needs massaging. Even with the best intentions, sheet happens.

I really did not want to spend ten grand on an engine.
Weber built me a new "crate" engine.
New block, rotating assemby, oil pan, cam etc.
The only items from the old engine were the heads that Weber rebuilt and intake.
Silly me thought Weber would be able to produce a great product.

I really did not want to spend ten grand on an engine.
Weber built me a new "crate" engine.
New block, rotating assembly, oil pan, cam etc.
The only items from the old engine were the heads that Weber rebuilt and intake.
Silly me thought Weber would be able to produce a great product.

And when the Buick community allows them to get away with things like this you can just about expect the next guy with this issue to get the same treatment and then some.

You have an oil pan gasket leak. Not a major issue. There were some issues with Weber years back, they had some people working there that caused some problems. Those people are long gone. Dave Weber is doing the majority of the work now, and he is top notch. An oil pan leak can happen to anyone. Now, I don't agree with blaming it on the pan without knowing for sure that is the problem. If they knew it was a problem, it should have been brought to your attention. I installed my own oil pan, and it leaked at first. With a fresh engine, you will be chasing down leaks at first. Sometime you get lucky, but most times not. If you RTV the crap out of everything, it probably won't leak, but I don't like to do that, it is a pain to take back apart. It doesn't matter how much you spend, you are going to run into problems. I can't even begin to count how many parts I had to modify to make work. If you are not willing to put in the work, leave it stock, or sell it and buy a new GT500 Mustang, I hear they are pretty fast. It doesn't matter what it is, V8, V6, Ford, Chevy, Mopar, if it is modified and making power, it is going to cause problems and cost money. A real car guy learns how to work on his car.

What is it with everybody throwing Weber under the bus? Damn. One thing I know for sure is that I love my Weber engine. :)

Weber has had a chance to resolve the issue from what I see. So nobody has thrown them under the bus. They stood in front of it and decided not to move. Glad you're enjoying yours!

I cant believe anybody even thinks to use a rubber gasket on the oil pan. It never ever works. I'm sure the rest of the motor is fine. I used a rubber gasket last year on a car I built, ended up pulling it out right away. When I pulled it out, it came out in many pieces. The rubber gaskets are junk. It's not hard to change the gasket, I wouldnt stress about it. I'm sure the motor is fine. Webber sends out good products.