Newbie needs help passing VA emissions...

Evac canister stock location drivers side top front fender. Most people move it to bottom of front fender look under car.
Pcv located in the intake manifold pass side.

I took the cap off the EGR to check it and found a disconnected hose. Does anyone know what it's for or where is supposed to go?

Attachments

• P5050231.JPG
    P5050231.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 334
Not really... still really don't know what it's purpose is and if I really need it. In your drawing, it looks like my other hose should actually be going into the EGR... still not sure.

Look at egr solenoid the small nipple hose goes to egr valve. The other hose connects to hard vacuum line (3rd from front of car) which set on top of dog house and the hvac, cruise, ck valve hoses.

You have a hose missing. Take your time and study diagram all hoses
connect as shown.

Hope this helps,

Look at egr solenoid the small nipple hose goes to egr valve. The other hose connects to hard vacuum line (3rd from front of car) which set on top of dog house and the hvac, cruise, ck valve hoses.

You have a hose missing. Take your time and study diagram all hoses
connect as shown.

Hope this helps,

Ok, I had a few minutes to trace from the 2nd vac hose from the front on the vac box. Instead of going to the disconnected hose on the EGR reg, here's a drawing of how it's routed. I didn't have time to trace to where the end cause I would of had to get up under the car (I think). Anyone have an idea of why it may be set up this way? Can anyone send actuall pics of where this hose is suppose to terminate?

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 320
Emissions is only in Northern VA near DC area. In hampton roads it's a visual only,no dyno. I am an inspector in Chesapeake/Virginia Beach.

Phew!!! I thought that VA had gone to full blown smog testing. I bought my GN new back in 86 in VA Beach, and continued living there until 89, and as I recall it was only visuals back then too.

Your picture above that shows the little bent hose going nowhere, is supposed to be hooked into a "tee" that just happens to sit under the EGR valve. On mine the "tee" is located about 2" downstream of that little check valve. The other leg of the "tee" is probably supposed to have the hose you show as heading off behind the motor somewhere (cant look back there now, cuz I'm still at work), but there should also be another larger check valve/tee a foot or so down stream. That latter check/tee is the one on dabigguy's drawing labled CK VLV, HVAC, CRUISE.
So all you should have to do is insert a "tee" right there where that small hose is. The small hose on one leg, the checkvalve feeding it, and the other hose (after you cut it) plugged into the remaining leg.

Your picture above that shows the little bent hose going nowhere, is supposed to be hooked into a "tee" that just happens to sit under the EGR valve. On mine the "tee" is located about 2" downstream of that little check valve. The other leg of the "tee" is probably supposed to have the hose you show as heading off behind the motor somewhere (cant look back there now, cuz I'm still at work), but there should also be another larger check valve/tee a foot or so down stream. That latter check/tee is the one on dabigguy's drawing labled CK VLV, HVAC, CRUISE.
So all you should have to do is insert a "tee" right there where that small hose is. The small hose on one leg, the checkvalve feeding it, and the other hose (after you cut it) plugged into the remaining leg.

When you get a chance, do you think you can post some pics of how your hose is routed so I can compare it to mine? I was trying to find some engine diagrams/drawings that may depict it literally a little better. Is there a reason why the pervious owner would bypass the EGR regulator?

Let's see if this works.
THis is a picture of the 'tee'

Attachments

• 0509071041.JPG
    0509071041.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 379
Cool... Can you post a pic of where this hose terminates on the other end?

Attachments

• 0509071041.JPG
    0509071041.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 299
That hose goes to this picture.
Notice the check valve in the center of the picture just behind the spark plug wire loom (empty). That is a check valve/tee. It's the one that's in Dabigguy's picture labeled CK VLV (check valve), HVAC (continues into cabin for A/C controls), and CRUISE (off the little tee on it, it goes over to the cruise control).
You can't see the "tee" on it in this picture, it comes out the bottom of the check valve.

Attachments

• 0509071041a.JPG
    0509071041a.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 299
From the picture, I can't tell where that is... front/back of driver's side? Does the hose end there? It looks like a check valve? Can you take a pic that zoomed out a little?

Attachments

• 0509071041a.JPG
    0509071041a.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 299
I wish I could take a better pic, but I'm at work. The device you have circled is the ck vlv/tee that I'm refering to. You'll also notice it's a bit larger than the others under the hood, because it does double duty as a ck vlv and tee.
If you follow the line on yours that comes off the little check valve just in front of the EGR valve, does it go to another check valve like the one we're talking about here? It should. That line feeds the cruise control and out the back, goes into the cabin to control HVAC system.

I wish I could take a better pic, but I'm at work. The device you have circled is the ck vlv/tee that I'm refering to. You'll also notice it's a bit larger than the others under the hood, because it does double duty as a ck vlv and tee.
If you follow the line on yours that comes off the little check valve just in front of the EGR valve, does it go to another check valve like the one we're talking about here? It should. That line feeds the cruise control and out the back, goes into the cabin to control HVAC system.

Ok, I will look at the hoses again today. I do have a hose that goes toward the passenger side firewall... could that be the one going into the cabin to control HVAC system? Where is the cruise control located so I can make sure there's a vacuum on it?

Ok, I will look at the hoses again today. I do have a hose that goes toward the passenger side firewall... could that be the one going into the cabin to control HVAC system? Where is the cruise control located so I can make sure there's a vacuum on it?

Driver's side fenderwell. A large diaghram looking thing about 5" in diameter.

Driver's side fenderwell. A large diaghram looking thing about 5" in diameter.

Ok, here's my updated diagram... I'm guessing the other side of the vacuum line is going into the cabin to control HVAC system :confused: Is this setup essentially bypassing the EGR? Why would the previous owner set it up this way?

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 133
I did some research on the EGR:

EGR valve should only function while cruising and is controlled by the EVRV (electronic vacuum regulator valve). The EVRV valve controls the vacuum applied to the EGR valve during cruise mode.

With that being said, if the vacuum is not connected to the EVRV (like in my pics) then I assume there is no vacuum being applied from the EVRV to the EGR valve and it is being defeated, correct? So I should hook it back up and make sure it's working before I get the emissions tested, right?

I did some research on the EGR:

EGR valve should only function while cruising and is controlled by the EVRV (electronic vacuum regulator valve). The EVRV valve controls the vacuum applied to the EGR valve during cruise mode.

true
With that being said, if the vacuum is not connected to the EVRV (like in my pics) then I assume there is no vacuum being applied from the EVRV to the EGR valve and it is being defeated, correct? So I should hook it back up and make sure it's working before I get the emissions tested, right?

true again.

put a tee in like what's in my pix.