Newbie needs help passing VA emissions...

rosadod

Just received my new GN today. Here's the run down of the mods:

Craig Te-67 turbo
Accufab I/C
Translator and 3.5 mass air
62 mm jay jackson tb & upper
Moroso underdrive pulleys
4in ram air
200 R4 tans. built by Rosler w/ manual valve body
Vigilate converter
mosler axles
TA girdle cover
BMR upper contole arms
Box steel lowers
Air bag on pass. side
Weld aluma stars up front 3.5
Centerline Telstars in rear w/ 275/60 tires
Drag Shocks FT. & Rear
MSD 50# inj. with Lubrant chips (street & race)
3" S.S. Houston D/P
3" ATR S.S. single shot

I need to pass VA emissions and have no cat converter. The previous owner also said the it needs to be tuned cause it runs a little rich... the fuel pressure may need to be lowered. Any suggestions on what cat I should get, how to go about getting the car tuned, and passing my emissions test?

Just received my new GN today. Here's the run down of the mods:

Craig Te-67 turbo
Accufab I/C
Translator and 3.5 mass air
62 mm jay jackson tb & upper
Moroso underdrive pulleys
4in ram air
200 R4 tans. built by Rosler w/ manual valve body
Vigilate converter
mosler axles
TA girdle cover
BMR upper contole arms
Box steel lowers
Air bag on pass. side
Weld aluma stars up front 3.5
Centerline Telstars in rear w/ 275/60 tires
Drag Shocks FT. & Rear
MSD 50# inj. with Lubrant chips (street & race)
3" S.S. Houston D/P
3" ATR S.S. single shot

I need to pass VA emissions and have no cat converter. The previous owner also said the it needs to be tuned cause it runs a little rich... the fuel pressure may need to be lowered. Any suggestions on what cat I should get, how to go about getting the car tuned, and passing my emissions test?

You will definatly need a cat. converter. Make sure all of the components are in place such as E.G.R, evap. canister, PCV and no open crankcase breathers. Order an emissions chip and converter from a supporting vender of this board. Check and replace the spark plugs with the right heat range. Lower the fuel pressure. If the inspector is savvy he might fail you for the visual part of the inspection for some of your bolt on parts, especially the Translator. Your turbo is pretty big too, that might be a problem, sometimes they surge on the dyno. The suspension, wheels and exhaust behind the converter are not a concern. Hate to tell you but it might not be easy. When I used to inspect these cars most people would put them back to or near stock for the inspection but after that....?

Off the top of your head, who would you recommend I get the Cat and Chip from? I'm a newbie and don't know how to check or lower the fuel pressure... can you school me?

I think Eric Marshall @ Turbo Tweak sells the chip. Gbodyparts.com has the converter. You probably have an adjustable regulator, some of the vendors have a guage that mounts to the capped port at the end of the fuel rail. Where do you live?

Where you at in VA? I was in Hampton Roads area, I got my LS1 by with no cats, just gotta know the right people. ;)

I think Eric Marshall @ Turbo Tweak sells the chip. Gbodyparts.com has the converter. You probably have an adjustable regulator, some of the vendors have a guage that mounts to the capped port at the end of the fuel rail. Where do you live?

I'm in Stafford, VA. Don't I need a 3" inlet/outlet since the whole exhaust w/ downpipe is 3"? The one on Gbodyparts.com is 2.5" inlet/outlet.

I found this at Kirban Performance: "Part #6720 EPA Certified Low Restrictive 3" DIRECT Replacement Catalytic Converter" for $199. Is this a good price and what I need or is there some where else I should look?

Hey shoot me a line or call my shop 7033615260 ask to talk to matt.
i know someone who might help....

I looked around but didn't see any... what vendor(s) has a guage that mounts to the capped port at the end of the fuel rail?

I looked around but didn't see any... what vendor(s) has a guage that mounts to the capped port at the end of the fuel rail?

I cannot remember where I got my gauge, it has been a few years since I bought one. You can surf around to find a vendor. That converter you found at Kirban should work. The high flow converters of today don't kill performance like the old ones. They expire sooner than the old ones but it sure beats smelly shirts on a date with a pretty girl.;)

Emissions is only in Northern VA near DC area. In hampton roads it's a visual only,no dyno. I am an inspector in Chesapeake/Virginia Beach.

We don't check which city the car is from,so yes if everything was okay it would pass down here without a dyno test.:)

Might want to check with the DMV in VA here in MD if the car is 20 yrs old and they no longer make the model you can get Historic Plates= NO EMISSIONS.

VA is 25 years, I had a Jeep and a Truck that were old enough, but their rules are something like only 250 miles per year too. Of course they never check the odo. :cool:

The trooper down here says it won't ever be down here cause we have the ocean to clean our air:eek: But you never know:rolleyes:

Hey, I'm moving to Northern Va..........you get a free dyno run every year with your inspection !!!! What a bargain!!!