Noob! keep or upgrade advice please

smokingunz

Hello all, noob needs help...shocker right. I have wanted a GN since high school...when they were fairly new! A few months ago I purchased one from a gentleman that owned it for 20yrs, listed below are most of the non stock parts. Most of these mods are 10-15 years old so some may need pithched out and some not. The car is great condition, im starting the spring cleaning and before I start trying to go fast I want the car ready so to speak. Please share opinions on direction and if any of this stuff should go?
Thank you.

Is the turbo stock? What about fuel injectors? Scanmaster installed? I would get a new chip/injector combo from turbo tweak and install alcohol injection.

Everything looks useable except that plenum spacer (old school and not sure it was even needed then). An RJC powerplate would be good though and thinner too. If the fuel pump is good and working properly there is no need to replace yet. Just need a modern chip and you are good. Decide how fast you want to go and how you will use the car before buying much else.

You can run pretty fast with the stock turbo and alky, easy 12's. I'd stick with that until you're ready to run more than 22-23 psi boost (with alky). Get a scanmaster! Think about replacing your timing chain if it hasn't been done.

My thoughts were following yours...scanmaster, TT chip, timing chain and probably springs. Do I need to do anything with the trans?

A hotwired fuel pump is one of the first upgrades most do from a performance aspect. It has been shown many times that the stock fuel pump was barely adequate with a car in stock trim. You already have some performance upgrades and if that is an original pump and wiring, it is most likely not delivering what is needed.

It has an ATR superpumper, and hot wire...im not sure about the quality or performance of that pump?

Fuel pressure needs to rise 1 for 1... 1 psi of fuel pressure for every 1 psi of boost. Only way to see it would be with a fuel pressure gauge you can monitor from inside the car.

My thoughts were following yours...scanmaster, TT chip, timing chain and probably springs. Do I need to do anything with the trans?
As far as the trans goes at least fluid, filter change and a new TCC solenoid, and replace the 2 pressure switches. Upgrades from there are a shift kit or a trick rebuild.

As far as the trans goes at least fluid, filter change and a new TCC solenoid, and replace the 2 pressure switches. Upgrades from there are a shift kit or a trick rebuild.
And use dexron 6 tranny fluid. More expensive but lasts a lot longer and runs cooler.

You'll need a year's supply of Aleve and blood pressure medicine...........so stock up........you'll thank me for it.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Trans filter/oil change with tcc solenoid and pressure switches...check
dextron 6 fluid + and extra half qrt....check
headache and blood pressure meds...check
anything else? :confused: