NY New Window Tint Law

Looks like mine is staying on . I usually ride with windows down anyways .:cool:

Thanks alot Gov. Cuomo :mad: . Now in NY if your window tint is 30 % or more your car WILL FAIL NYS Inspection . My windows were tinted when I bought the car and didn't want to remove it even though I could get a ticket for tint . The cops for the most part didn't bother you about it , but now it won't pass inspection . Sucks big time !:rage:

Do you at least understand why this is?

I know their reason . For police safety & to make eye contact with other motorists. That was stated when the bill was introduced.

Will it come back on the inspection station if they pass a car with tint and the person gets a tinit ticket?

I know their reason . For police safety & to make eye contact with other motorists. That was stated when the bill was introduced.

The only time im looking at another person in their car is when i see them picking there nose and i point at them or when im giving them the finger

The only time im looking at another person in their car is when i see them picking there nose and i point at them or when im giving them the finger
Half of these legislators that make the laws have NO CLUE, just look at the NY Safe Act.

Well, failed my first car for tint today. It's a joke. No tint on any side windows of 92 and newer "passenger cars". Good thing for any TR's is any window can be tinted to 30 percent transmitting vs 70 percent on newer cars.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hard to make eye contact when they are looking at their phones!!!:mad:

Got my Honda inspected today in Rockland County New York, all windows tinted 25 percent no one mentioned anything about tint car passed.

More and more laws.less and less freedom.i will say this tint does a great job of saving the interior of the car and lessons the blinding hid light of SUVs and trucks which are very prevalent in my area.plus it gives a turbo Buick a serious bad ass look to it:D

More and more laws.less and less freedom.i will say this tint does a great job of saving the interior of the car and lessons the blinding hid light of SUVs and trucks which are very prevalent in my area.plus it gives a turbo Buick a serious bad ass look to it:D
I agree
DSCN0460.JPG

Well, failed my first car for tint today. It's a joke. No tint on any side windows of 92 and newer "passenger cars". Good thing for any TR's is any window can be tinted to 30 percent transmitting vs 70 percent on newer cars.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This goes for the opera windows too ? My 4 sides are currently at 20% transmitting so I'm in trouble. Inspection up at end of this month.

Also is the above correct "any TR's any window can be tinted to 30% "?

I was reading tonight and NYVIP2 MESSAGE No. 224 sated 35% for 91 and older.

Last edited:
One more question 69RSCLONE if you don't mind, since it appears you are an inspector.

NYVIP2 MESSAGE No. 226

2. Which windows are required to be inspected for 1991 and older model year vehicles?
  • The windshield and side windows adjacent to or forward of the driver and front seat passenger always require inspection and must allow for a minimum VLT of 35%.
  • The rear window (sometimes referred to as a backlite or rear windshield) is only inspected if the vehicle is not equipped with dual outside rearview mirrors. If the window is inspected it must allow for a minimum VLT of 35%.
  • Please note: Side windows to the rear of the driver’s seating position are never inspected on these vehicles.
Does this mean on the TR's the opera windows can have any tint ? If true, I can just pull the front tint off and redo with 35% or 40% to be safe and leave the opera's at 20%

I believe when talking to shops it’s every window but if you have 35% or more you will be able to pass since our car year is before 91. I’m at 5%

Here in CT the Opera WIndows need to pass inspection as well since they are side glass and subject to the 30% rule.

Note the cute little yellow DMV sticker on both side windows.

DSC01084.jpg

This goes for the opera windows too ? My 4 sides are currently at 20% transmitting so I'm in trouble. Inspection up at end of this month.

Also is the above correct "any TR's any window can be tinted to 30% "?

I was reading tonight and NYVIP2 MESSAGE No. 224 sated 35% for 91 and older.

You are correct, 35% on driver and passenger windows. all others don't get checked. There have been a couple updates to the regulations since the original January 1st change. I personally don't even check them unless it looks to be a shady customer. I can't fail for a ball joint that will separate and cause an accident, but have to fail a car for lightly tinted windows. I respect what the Police do and their safety, but Police get paid more to handle that crap than I do , let them handle it. I understand the "safety" aspect of the law, but why is it OK to have darker windows on older cars and SUV's? Most people(in my area) that are going to shoot back at the cops are either driving an Escalade/Expedition or a Donk, Box, or Bubble on 26's, all can have darker windows legally.

Sam, make sure your windows are down when you get it inspected. There's no law that your windows have to function or be in the up position for an inspection. However, I have been nailed for tint at a road block/dwi check. Pull the fuse in case they attempt to put them up.

Last edited:
Sam, make sure your windows are down when you get it inspected. There's no law that your windows have to function or be in the up position for an inspection. However, I have been nailed for tint at a road block/dwi check. Pull the fuse in case they attempt to put them up.
My guy that inspects my car didn't think they were to dark and no he didn't " test " them . He's a big time Pro Gas racer and when I go there to get inspected we talk racing while he fills out the inspection form . I always drive with my windows down any ways , tint or no tint .