Oil Cooler Lines..help!

brokeys

Hi all, I am nearing the end of my very first engine pull. I have everything unhooked except these oil cooler lines. Is there a trick to getting these lines off? I've been trying for two days now, and they just won't budge. The front part of the cooler actually spins as I'm turning the nuts attached to the lines. I'm so frustrated that I contemplated just cutting the lines and replacing them when I reinstall the motor!! How much would new lines cost me? Anyone have experience with these?
As usual, thanks for any help/information/ideas you can share!!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130519_215220.png
    ForumRunner_20130519_215220.png
    568.7 KB · Views: 297
  • ForumRunner_20130519_215349.png
    ForumRunner_20130519_215349.png
    568.7 KB · Views: 255
are you trying to get the stock oil cooler lines off or the aftermarket oil filter lines off? If you have enough slack you can unscrew the filter disk until it comes off the remove the sammich adapter. Cutting the lines will probably work if you have enough slack to reconnect them later. Otherwise you'll have to go to the parts store and get some new oil line.

are you trying to get the stock oil cooler lines off or the aftermarket oil filter lines off? If you have enough slack you can unscrew the filter disk until it comes off the remove the sammich adapter. Cutting the lines will probably work if you have enough slack to reconnect them later. Otherwise you'll have to go to the parts store and get some new oil line.

Thanks Earl, these are stock oil cooler lines that I am trying to remove. I'm going to try to unscrew the filter disk...It was moving, but I didn't try to force it around and see how far it would go.
Thanks again for the info.

you could always leave them on the engine and just unscrew them from the rad.

Yep, thought about that too! On the cooler there are 4 connectors, 2 that go to the radiator, and two that lead to an oil filter right behind the passenger side bumper. I plan to remove the 2 connectors that I can disconnect at the radiator, but the other 2 are giving me the issues.
Thanks for the info.

just unscrew the aluminum disc like it's an oil filter (since it's screwed in place of the stock oil filter) then take the nut out of the center and leave the sammich adapter in the car. Wrap it in saran wrap or a large crack bag to keep crud out of it.

The two lines with the yellow fittings on them should lead to that oil filter behind the bumper. It should also have a small braided stainless line that geeds oil to the turbo. That whole assembly is a PTE Turbo Saver. I recently just added one to my hoopty! If you want me to post up the instructions to it, let me know. I will say that it doesn't tell you how to disconnect those lines. They are a mystery to me as well. It made installation of the Turbo Saver.......interesting!! If one were able to remove those hoses from the filter adapter, it would make installation of the thing a BREEZE. As Earl said, the filter adapter shown in the picture screws on to where the original oil filter went in the stock location.

the hose that's off center is the feed line for the remote filter. the one in the middle is the return line that feeds the engine filtered oil

The hard one to get off is usually the one closest to the water pump. I replaced mine a couple weeks ago. Did not want to mess around anymore just cut the damn thing and undid the adapter nut then took it off with help from the vise. You could always leave them on and unscrew them from the radiator.

image-3418500825.jpg

image-2857764626.jpg

the remote oil lines can be done from under the car and un doing them at the filter end.

Guys, just an update: I was able to unscrew the disk that the 2 lines are connected to. The hoses were quite twisted during this process, but they didn't break!! I love this forum and thanks for all the help.