Oil filter not working

gn dennis

Im new to posting on the web site. I have a 1987 Buick T Type and was changing the oil, noticed there was no oil in the old filter when I removed it. The filter is a Mobil 1 M1 101 and the oil is Mobil 1 10 w 30. Oil pressure is 15 psi at idle when hot , 60 psi when cold at idle driving around 2000 rpm pressure is 45 psi when hot. Do you thing the bypass is stuck open. What do you all think. Thanks Dennis

Your saying it was dry like zero oil ever went through it or just a slight residual?

Im new to posting on the web site. I have a 1987 Buick T Type and was changing the oil, noticed there was no oil in the old filter when I removed it. The filter is a Mobil 1 M1 101 and the oil is Mobil 1 10 w 30. Oil pressure is 15 psi at idle when hot , 60 psi when cold at idle driving around 2000 rpm pressure is 45 psi when hot. Do you thing the bypass is stuck open. What do you all think. Thanks Dennis
You are right however its working fine now.

You are right however its working fine now.
Your saying it was dry like zero oil ever went through it or just a slight residual?
This all started this morning, had the car out driving to get it warm to change the oil. came home jacked up car pulled drain plug drained oil. went to pull filter and there was nothing in it, no oil. It looked as though there was never any oil in the filter. So I changed the oil installed a new K P filter added oil ran car, oil pressure was fine, shut the car off let it sit all day. I pulled the filter there was oil in it. I think the Mobil 1 filter was not letting any oil go through it. if any one has ever had this happen lets hear from you. Thanks Guys

I always put some oil in the filter before I install it , can't fill it without making a mess . Never heard of having oil pressure and no oil in the filter afterwards ! How is it possible ?

I always put some oil in the filter before I install it , can't fill it without making a mess . Never heard of having oil pressure and no oil in the filter afterwards ! How is it possible ?
The bypass would open but Im not sure it would be bone dry....

this is a completely new one to me.
i was waiting for some jack hole to say "did you use the search function?"

I've changed oil on different cars that gave me the impression that the filter was empty, they still drove ok somehow!
I'd bump it over with no filter on with a remote starter wire. ( Or a have helper turn the key, then off quickly.) See if it barfs out oil.

How can it still be alive without oil?

Glad you guys are having fun with this post.

If you can't roll with the "punches", you are on the wrong board! It's good natured ribbing by a bunch of guys w/ nothing better to do!! We all get it, sooner or later...:D:D

I'd cut the filter in half, see what was going on in there.

I'd cut the filter in half, see what was going on in there.
Chuck I wasn't feeling bad by any means. I did cut filter open, there was a small bit of oil. And it didn't seem as dirty as the oil in the pan. Why after running the engine then starting to change oil was no oil in filter. And installed the K&P filter ran engine and there was oil. I was just wondering if any of you have ever had this happen. Thanks

That IS odd. Even if they forgot to put the anti drain back valve in it (or maybe that filter doesn't have one) there would still be some oil in the filter.
Things that make you say hmmm.

There is nothing odd about any of this ------ are you guy's forgetting it's a turbo Buick. They all live in the spirit world

It's not possible. the way the filter adapter is designed, if you have pressure, oil has to hit the filter.

Granted, not all the oil hits the filter (and some of the oil bypasses the filter media inside the filter) but it should still be wet.

When you had the old filter on there, did you car have start up rattle when you first started it?