oil leaks! ??

neilb

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to the turbo Buick world and just finished building my first 109 block. My question is with only a few thouasand miles on the fresh engine and only running 10 psi, both valve cover Gaskets and my oilpan gasket are leaking. Is the normal? Or do I have some serious blow by? Any suggestions on what gaskets to use? Thanks!

hello everyone. I'm fairly new to the turbo buick world and just finished building my first 109 block. My question is with only a few thouasand miles on the fresh engine and only running 10 psi, both valve cover gaskets and my oilpan gasket are leaking. Is the normal? Or do i have some serious blow by? Any suggestions on what gaskets to use? Thanks!
resnug the bolts & hope for the best..gaskets shrink some .

Don't always assume that the oil pan is leaking just because theres oil there. I just chased down a leak that originated from one of the two timing cover bolts that retains the crank sensor bracket. Oil would flow down and around the pan rail. Only would leak under boost.

Allan G.

I know its the oil pan in this case, because it looks like the gasket has been pushed out or split at one of the corners. I used all felpro blue baskets, and cork valve cover gaskets with the TA aluminum valve covers. The car smells and smokes like crazy under boost. But not from the tail pipes. I think its all the oil being pushed out and spraying onto the exhaust crossover.

I have owned these cars since 87 and one thing they do is leak oil...you will go nuts trying to stop all the leaks so if it's not real bad just live with it...as for the valve cover gaskets I use cork and spray them with hi-temp alum paint...let it dry then install them...I have zero leaks there...and have removed/installed the covers many...many times...the pan can be a problem...sometimes the pan rail can get warped and there's not much you can do...aside from a new pan...use a cork gasket for the pan and use some sealant...the Right Stuff is the best but getting the pan off you need a chisel...not really but pretty close...you could try a thin smear of black RTV on the gasket...don't think of them as oil leaks...with these cars it's the engine sweating from all the horsepower...:D