OK Guys...quit playing around...PT61 and be done with it!

Hold on a second here guys...

PT61 is $675 plus $79 for actuator. This is with the standard E compressor cover which is the 3" inlet and 2" outlet. Now the S cover version which is the 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet is an additional $100 so the cost of the turbo would be $775.

now I usually don't even recommend doing the larger compressor cover unless 1. you have a heads and cam setup and 2. if you already have 4" piping going to the turbo

the S cover is only worth maybe 20-25 hp and that is at like 25 lbs of boost

and btw we only do the 61 in ONE turbine wheel which is the 52 wheel

Hi Don

Thanks for the clarification. I beleive I fit your conditions for the "S" housing, but is that going have an effect on the spool time (compared to the smaller one)??

Thanks!

Mike [:)

wicked87gn said,
"RE: initial post: i though it meant it included the 4 inch inlet and the 2.5 exaust but it did not, what you got is the smaller compressor housing not the really big one, and you also got the 56 exaust wheel not the 52 which is what is advertise in the original post, i like to get what is advertise and not find out later that i need to get some upgrades to get the real deal.. just my 02's buyer beware.. "

This is misleading info.
The PT61 turbo, whether it gets a TO4E compressor cover (3" in, 2" out), or a TO4S compressor cover (4" in, 2.5" out), gets the same wheels, which are...

Compressor wheel = GT35R 61mm inducer, 56 trim.
Turbine wheel = T350 76 trim turbine wheel.

Now where the 52 nomenclature came from is. This is the same turbine wheel that is used in the PT52. In our numbering system, the 52 designates the T350 76 trim turbine wheel, hence the 52 designation.
As Don stated before, we normally do not spec the TO4S compressor cover on this turbo due to the other things that are needed to run this model when so equipped. aka: heads, cam, 4" MAF pipe, IAC angle boss, Built bottom end. The PT6152S will support roughly 645-650 fwhp when pushed really hard, IE: 30+psi. Which is more than enough to destroy most stock bottom ends if run at that level repeatedly.
Spoolup would slightly be increased, somewhere in the 200-300 rpm range, so I would recommend a converter that will flash stall to around 3400-3500 for really fast spool up, however Don's 3200-3400 spools his turbo just fine.

PT6152E $675.00, add $79.00 for either a standard or heavy duty actuator with correct bracket.

PT6152S $775.00, add $79.00 for either a standard or heavy duty actuator with correct bracket.

Hope this helps a little, and not meaning to sound flaming in any way.
Later.
Patrick

pt 61

so the pt 6152e
is rated at 630 horse power
which is just about the same power as a pt 54
so no performance gain between these 2 turbo's

Re: pt 61

Originally posted by my 1st gn
so the pt 6152e
is rated at 630 horse power
which is just about the same power as a pt 54
so no performance gain between these 2 turbo's

ok apparently nobody is reading any of my previous posts about this turbo!

the 61 is good for 630 horse yes it is a little more horsepower than a 54 BUT the MAIN advantage is the EFFICIENCY factor of the 61 compared to the 54...the 61 uses a NEW GARRETT GT 61mm compressor wheel which is considerably more efficient than a 54 compressor...what does this mean to you? it means LOWER intake charge temps out the turbo into your motor which also lowers the detonation level to a certain point...it's also a more efficient turbo at higher boost as well...and the 61 probably spools just as fast as a 54 with the right converter

pt 61

ok did not mean to upset you
just liked your first post of the pt 61 and was thinking it would be a 30 hp gain to upgrade that's all
I will stay with pt 54 it needs to be overhauled are there any upgrade options

an don thanks for info

Re: pt 61

Originally posted by my 1st gn
ok did not mean to upset you
just liked your first post of the pt 61 and was thinking it would be a 30 hp gain to upgrade that's all
I will stay with pt 54 it needs to be overhauled are there any upgrade options

an don thanks for info

if you already HAVE a PT54 then there's no reason to really upgrade to the 61...the gain wouldn't be a major one...if you are gonna upgrade from a 54 then upgrade to a 67 P-trim or GTQ depending on setup...

the 61 is good for guys that are upgrading from a stock setup, or a mild turbo like a GT3255 or TE44 or TA49

no hard feelings here! just trying to educate as many as possible!:D

pt 61

thanks for the info
kinda new to this turbo stuff and there are so many turbo's to pick from just want to spend my money rite

so on that pt 54 overhaul are there any options

i want to apologize for the whole mis-understanding, I though that the cost of the PT61S plus the heavy duty actuator with the right bracket was $675.00 obviously i was wrong.. i would be calling to place an order for the PT61 with the correct actuator and the smaller 3' inlet and 2' outlet compressor..

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
How well would a pair of these work on a 383? Also, what size wastegates would be needed to control them?

I've sold quite a few twin turbo 61 combos to guys with 350 or bigger engines and they love it...a setup like that should be able to put down 1000 hp to the tires maxed out. I would run a pair of Tial 38mm wastegates on this setup. HTH

Just so everyone is clear on this (I wasn't) you will need a new actuator arm for the PT-61 if you currently have a TA-49. :(

Now onto more important things- the inside of the housings are pretty rough. Anybody bother to smooth them out or just let'r rip?

Mike

just for informational purposes...

anytime anyone has ever changed from a TA series turbo to a PT series or TE series turbo, they have had to change the actuator because it's a well known fact that the bolt pattern will be different...that's just the way it is and the way it's always been...

as far as the inside of the housing being rough? not sure what is meant by that but i wouldn't touch the housings...if anything you might need to port the wastegate hole to match a THDP better or the external gates...