Open or closed lugs?

87-WE2

Back in business!!
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I searched and there were a mountain of results.

I know the difference between open & closed lugs, but what are the advantages / disadvantages of each? I'm about ready to order yet another set of wheels and have a choice in lugs. Street car that goes to the track a few times a year.

NHRA and IHRA require open lugs if you are going to race with slicks. They want to see how much stud is in the lug.
David
,87 GN

So if I'm on drag radials closed are ok? I think I've found some info by searching "prostar" as those are what I'm considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the track. I've been asked to pull a lug so they can see how many threads are sticking out with drag radials

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

So if I'm on drag radials closed are ok? I think I've found some info by searching "prostar" as those are what I'm considering.

If you are on stock lugs you are not even close to ok with pro stars. The front wheels need to be in compliance also. Not just the rear.

Yeah, stock lugs won't work with pro stars anyway as stocks are acorn-style and pro stars take a mag-style with washer. The stock studs might not even work - looks like they might need to be longer.

Thanks - I've found the information I need in order to comply. For future reference, here's the wording from Section 20 of the General Regulations of the NHRA :
"The thread engagement on all wheel studs to the lug nut, or lug bolts to wheel hubs, must be equivalent to or greater than the diameter of the stud/bolt. Length of the stud/bolt does not determine permissibility. (Example: A 7/16-inch stud must be thoroughly engaged through the threads in the hex portion of the lug a minimum of 7/16-inch.)"

It looks like it may not be possible to run stock rims and ProStars on the same studs.