Opinion Search: Refinish the set?

lnkncontiverto

Feel my Pacifists-of-Fury
I spent a chunk of Saturday experimenting on powder coating an old, rusted/pitted stock GN rim. Its the first time I've ever done anything this large. Here's what I came up with after hitting with the sand blaster, a wire wheel, and then a couple coats of Super Durable Wet Black powder. I was pleasantly surprised with the results and I'm considering powder coating the rest of the set after having the two rears widened to 8".

Thoughts?? Should i continue with the high gloss black or do they need a different color?

_DSC0991.jpg

_DSC0992.jpg

Looks real nice to me. Putting on a tire and mounting on car will tell you more.

:biggrin:

I'll tell you right now that looks way better than I would have thought if someone was just talking about doing this. Great job

I like it also. I wonder what it would look like with an accent stripe on the outer lip pulling a color from the power 6 logo?

Thanks all for the kind words.

I won't be able to mount them up until I have the whole set done. I have a relatively new set of tires on my mint GN rims on the car, so I wont separate those until I have a full black set.

I'm not new to coating, I've done plenty of small parts, plus I have a somewhat respectable gun. I did; however, learn quite a bit of tricks when I did this wheel so I am going to consider it my prototype. I will be blasting it all off and re-doing it in order to satisfy the anal perfectionist in me. The finish came out very well, but I did have a couple minor (you'd never see them unless you were 6" away) pock marks.

All-in-all, I'm curious if you think its too much black or it needs to be toned down with a grey or steel color? I breifly considered doing the whole thing in this candy orange color I have that is similar to the turbo 6 logo.:eek::biggrin: That would have turned some heads.

Black wouldn't have been my 1st choice, maybe a silver, but the holes would still have to be black...Now I don't know it looks pretty dang good as is.

put an orange pinstripe around the outside edge to break it up like stock car wheels have a red pinstripe- maybe even a yellow one, too, just to carry the colors of the "6" logo out onto the rim. then when you get tires mounted, tell the guy running the balancer that if he dares to put a weight on the outside of the rim he owes you a new rim..

i had thought about doing my rims over the winter in a black chrome finish, but the 17 ft of snow discouraged me from trying to get in the garage, so I just polished the chrome up for now and might consider doing it nxt winter....for what its worth i think those look good

Based on the mostly positive reaction here, I think I'm going to agree with the majority and do the rest of the set in all black. I'll post back when I have the set on my car, although that all depends on how long it takes to get widened.

Thanks for the opinions!