Passed CA emissions

TTA

1 point higher on the HC and I would of failed :eek:

PT61, Mototron 65lb injectors, TT smog chip

Attachments

• DSC03834a.jpg
    DSC03834a.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 407
Smog chip read it.Thanks for the post.this just shows that with bigger injectors,etc and the correct chip,that these cars can be made to pass.Even if you only squeak by.

I think if I had a newer CAT it would pass better. Also, I should of changed the oil and plugs and PCV valve. Oh well, it passed and I am happy :smile:

I wonder what we can do to get the HC down for next time, so it's not such a nail biter. It's really strange we both had 110 HC. :eek:

I had 172 HC !!! My smog chip is on order from TT. Hopefully I'll see it this week and try again. But now the powermaster is taking a crap on me... :mad:

turbo39151 said:
I had 172 HC !!! My smog chip is on order from TT. Hopefully I'll see it this week and try again. But now the powermaster is taking a crap on me... :mad:
I'm not surprised to see cars that barely pass. Mostly H.C. failures from undetectable missfires The spec's now are stricter than when these cars were new. A word on 160 thermostats. A cooler running engine jacks up the readings & can cause failures. I have run into that before. Coil packs,wires, plugs, fouled 02 sensors,Vacuum leaks also a problem.So called smog chips or adding magic potions in the gas tank fixing anything .I have yet to see,

turbolou said:
A word on 160 thermostats. A cooler running engine jacks up the readings & can cause failures. ,

I had a 185* thermostat in for the test. I switched it out for a 160* yesterday.

I finally passed after 3rd attempt! Did it the old fashioned way and threw money at it! ;)

1st attempt: @ 15mph HC=172 and NO=1549
@ 25mph HC=95 and NO=0325

Was running TT 93 chip. ( no egr?)

2nd attempt: @ 15mph HC=118 and NO=0049
@ 25mph HC=101 and NO=0023

Was using brand new TT Emissions Chip...

3rd attempt: @15mph HC=109 and NO=0123
@25mph HC=84 and NO=0028

After installing a new cat! The old one looked fine. Car does smell cleaner though... Why did this thing only pass by one point on each test? The gf thinks the shop just passed because they were tired of seeing me :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm kinda upset that the test wasn't much cleaner with the new cat and all (especially having to buy a new cat when the old one looked fine)... I have a 160 t-stat but my fan doesn't work right now so the car got nice and warm...What else could cause this issue?

BTW, wires are ok , coil pack seems fine, need to check the plugs but there's no issues with starting, running or anything else (no bogging, etc...)
Please advise.

Looks like they pulled A BUNCH of timing out with the emissions chip at 15 mph. Not so much on the 25 MPH test.

What was the CO and O2 readings on the tests?? HC is a function of CO if things go too lean or too rich. Same with NOx. The leaner it gets, the Nox goes up and visa versa. The people that put you new cat on probably didn't put one that resembled the cross sectional area of the original cats. The big problem in the smog test and repair industry right now is the quality of the cats. So I always install the biggest (cross sectional area) cats that will fit onto the car. Obviously matching the pipe used in the system.

@15mph- CO2%=14.69 and O2%=.13
@25mph- CO2%=14.47 and O2%=.05

Btw, I did pull the plugs, looked a little lean. Also, IAC was out of adjustment (actually not working - counts were in the 50-60 range) Now, I'm on the money...

Could that have had anything to do with it? Also, the cat I used was for a 3" pipe, nothing fancy but not cheap either...

Still confused as to why my GN with an old KB chip and a bad (ie: in pieces) cat passed the 1st time with emmissions that were SIGNIFICANTLY lower (IAC was out of alignment as well.)

just a note- you aren't supposed to change your oil right before going in for a smog test. It can sometimes affect the results in a bad way.

Looks like you guys passed by hair!

Just for your own information.

Chaging the oil is sometimes all that is needed on some 90's Honda's to pass the smog test.

Old oil holds alot of Hydrocarbons. Fresh oil reduces it signifigantly, especially since the PCV valve pulls vacuum on the crankcase, which in turn, directly feeds that loaded hydrocarboned oil vapor right into the intake tract.

TTA said:
I had a 185* thermostat in for the test. I switched it out for a 160* yesterday.

A good smog chip will keep the cooling fan off anyway until it reaches about 210. Even with the 160 thermo, I passed today with 6 HC's to spare. :)

I did plug off the r/s valve cover breather because he mentioned it two years ago on the last test.

I notice some tests are done at different rpm's which means running in a different gear to attain 15 and 25 mph. My 15 mph test shows only 760 rpms and the 25 mph test shows 780 rpms.

Fresh oil, fresh air cleaner, fresh plugs..smog chip and turn down the fuel pressure until the car barely runs. No sense in ignoring routine maintenance and mucking up the smog test.

turbolou said:
I'm not surprised to see cars that barely pass. Mostly H.C. failures from undetectable missfires The spec's now are stricter than when these cars were new. A word on 160 thermostats. A cooler running engine jacks up the readings & can cause failures. I have run into that before. Coil packs,wires, plugs, fouled 02 sensors,Vacuum leaks also a problem.So called smog chips or adding magic potions in the gas tank fixing anything .I have yet to see,

You're not a proponent of smog chips? Ign and inj timings won't help reduce emissions? My car was tagged a gross polluter before I began using a smog chip. Coincidence... maybe?