PCV grommet ripped and fell...yes, I said that.

unix_punk

Has anyone else been as fortunate as I to have the bottom part of the PCV grommet rip and fall into the tray under the lower intake manifold? I tried extremely carefully to get it out but was unsuccessful and now I can no longer see or feel it in there. Does anyone have a picture of the underside of that tray? Ive never had the lower intake off to see it. Anyone have any ideas aside from pulling the lower intake off? Thanks in advance.

Steve

I've got you beat. I did that very same thing, and then a lost a new one into the same hole trying to install it. They have both been in ther for a couple of years now. Hasn't caused a problem that I am aware of, but I will be rebuilding soon and then I will know.

I don't think the valley pan drain holes are large enough to allow them to fall into the crankcase. I believe you would have to remove the lower manifold to get it out unless you have a flexible wire that can grab hold of it.

Famous last words

:eek: they will be sitting on top of the valley pan,should not cause any problems at all:eek:

Ed

Here are a couple of options for the tool that zeus87gn is referring too.

KD Tools KDS2391 Flexible Retrieving Tool at Sears.com

Snap-on Tools

You could go fishing with one of these tools and you might get lucky.
If the grommet fell in as a whole piece or a partial piece, I agree with what has been said, that the drain holes in the valley pan gasket might not be big enough to let the entire grommet fall into the lifter valley. If it was in pieces, that's another story. In the lifter valley, there are 6 holes that are about 1" to 3/4" diameter and are evenly spaced between both sets of lifters to oil the cam. Here is a pic showing the lifter valley.

cam2.jpg

There is a valley pan gasket on stock motors that separates the lifter valley from the bottom of the intake. If you can see/feel this pan, there is a very good chance that the piece/pieces of the grommet are lying somewhere on the pan. I would use one of those tools and start fishing.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

Ok thanks. I do have the pan and it was on it, but I cant feel it on the pan anymore. The coat hanger only went in so far... Do you know where the pan ends and if its a little hole to exchange air or if it just ends and i couldve pushed the grommet off the pan into the valley?

The grommet was just the bottom portion that wedges on the inside of the manifold, so its the same roundness as a whole grommet, just missing the top part.

you know what i used. i used some welding wire and made a hook shape out of it then grabed it with pliers and pulled it out. only took about 15min to get it out

Yea I tried that but was unsuccessful.

Does anyone know how this pan is shapped or anything, maybe a pic of the bottom of someones spare stock lower? That way if I know it fell I can give up and work on more fun things like my alky install :)

I've done the same thing. nothing to worry about. It'll be there when I pull the intake someday. Hell, I've drove over a hundred thousand miles before with 2 bolts rolling around in the oil pan of my old t type.

If you have the stock intake gasket dont worry i have one in there since 2003
if you go fishing for it you better grab it and not push further

That valley pan will keep the grommet there. Now i just wish i could keep the girls in the valley.:biggrin:

Lol, thanks guys, Ill forget about it until I have to do a lower then. Any one ever have oil leak up from that grommet onto the top of the lower? I figured it was leaking there thats the whole reason I was replacing it.

damn it seems like im pulling my intake off atleast twice a year and some of you have had these in the motor since 03. holly ish

ya right. one day it will run long enough where i dont have to pull her apart. i have a felling im either going to break a drive shaft or the rearend by the end of this year.

Anyone have any idea where to get a replacement PCV grommet? Is this something autozone might have?

I too had the PCV grommet fall inside the intake. What I did is hooked up, with duct tape, a length of vacuum hose on the end of my shop vac. I stuck it in there and moved it around until the suction grabbed ahold of the grommet enough for me to pull it over to the hole and see it in the hole. Then I just fished it out with a pair of needle nose vise grips.

HTH

Hey, not a bad idea...Ill have to try that.

BTW, found the replacement grommet at Advanced Auto Parts, Autozone doesn't carry it anymore... Good thing there both next door to each other about a 5 minute walk from my house :)